Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think my bank should have told me they have removed the facilicity for cashback in certain supermarket ?

(8 Posts)
RoseRedder Tue 04-Feb-14 19:17:44

My bank card is a basic bank account card, and has no reciprocation of atm use (except Lloyds) but has always allowed me cashback in Sainsbury's, so if I require a cash wihdrawal I usually do it there as there is no Lloyds bank close to me

Today I asked for cashback of £20

The checkout person said entire transaction denied.

It only went through when she cancelled the cashback request and they message she got was 'card is not authourised for cashback?

Now I went to Asda and got cashback so it's not the bank who have removed it or is it?

Should I complain to Lloyds or Sainsbury's?

Joules68 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:50:45

read the small print....they have the right to withdraw services. it always says that on just about everything

Tisy10 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:53:58

It's sainsburys causing the problem. I've had the same issue and called the bank in the supermarket as the customer services insisted it was the bank. The man on the phone was adamant it wasn't the bank and if it was, I wouldn't be able to get cash back anywhere else, which I can.

SeaSickSal Tue 04-Feb-14 21:34:42

This is basically an issue today with whether the transaction can be confirmed online or not. If you have a basic account the transaction will have to be checked by telephone to see if you actually have the physical funds available in your account. The higher up accounts don't do this.

If the telephone lines into your bank are busy or there's a problem with Sainsbury's lines and it can't be confirmed it will be declined.

wooldonor Tue 04-Feb-14 21:38:13

I don't think it's the bank who decide whether to give cashback, it's the supermarket.

I'm not even sure the bank would know you're getting a cashback, don't they just get asked by Sainsbury's for an amount of money, they don't know what they bought do they?

SeaSickSal Tue 04-Feb-14 22:16:26

Wooldonor, they would know that cashback had been requested because the way cash is processed is slightly different to a purchase of goods.

Cash back is more thoroughly checked so is more likely to be rejected if there is a problem with the supermarkets systems contacting the bank.

wooldonor Wed 05-Feb-14 11:41:16

Are you sure seasicksal? The supermarket till isn't connected to the payment system used to process the card payment is it? When I use the chip and pin device it's just checking that I have enough money for the transaction, it doesn't know what went through the till does it?

Or that's what I've been told in the past, have things got more sophisticated recently?

lougle Wed 05-Feb-14 11:43:53

It's not your bank. I have a co-op basic account and a co-op current account. The basic account card always gets declined if I ask for cash back in Budgens. It's fine in lots of other shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now