Talk

Advanced search

Name and Shame?

(20 Posts)
ElenorRigby Tue 04-Feb-14 17:46:33

On a local public notice board, allegations have been posted that a household are abusing their dog.

The poster goes into detail about how the dog is being kept and then alleges the RSPCA have issued them a warning.

The poster then encourages every person who thinks this terrible to contact the RSPCA and report the abuse.

The poster then gives the Name and Address of their accused.

The poster leaves no details of themselves.

AIBU in thinking naming and shaming without proof is not right?

CoffeeTea103 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:47:28

Sounds very malicious.

WaffilyVersatile Tue 04-Feb-14 17:48:43

to be fair, they could have an agenda OR the household could be abusing the dog.. but if it was the latter then why the anonymity? I would not be getting involved in that, YANBU.

WilsonFrickett Tue 04-Feb-14 17:53:23

It's not naming and shaming. It's a malicious, spiteful anonymous letter. Steer well clear. Better yet, take the notice down.

ElenorRigby Tue 04-Feb-14 18:28:46

Not just me then.

PleaseNoScar Tue 04-Feb-14 18:33:57

It is also libelous... Or is it slanderous?

oldgrandmama Tue 04-Feb-14 18:35:50

Libellous

LiberalLibertine Tue 04-Feb-14 18:37:26

Only if it's not true.

I've been in a situation watching a dog suffer, and calling the rspca again and again, it's torturous.

Not saying I agree with doing this, but I can see how people get pushed to extremes sad

ElenorRigby Tue 04-Feb-14 18:55:46

Guilt is normally established through the due process of law.

tallwivglasses Tue 04-Feb-14 19:21:31

What kind of a public notice board? Where?

ElenorRigby Tue 04-Feb-14 19:26:29

An outdoor public notice board which many if not most dog walkers pass by to walk their dogs most days.

phantomnamechanger Tue 04-Feb-14 19:27:24

apart from anything else I would have thought that the accused would see and rip it down pronto, and that they would also have a good inkling of who was accusing them, which would cause further repercussions for the anonymous concerned citizen!

phantomnamechanger Tue 04-Feb-14 19:28:32

ah, and does the accused NOT walk their dog, so they are unlikely to see the poster? the accuser has put it only where responsible dog lovers will see it?

Lagoonablue Tue 04-Feb-14 19:32:19

If I thought a dog was suffering I would be inclined to do the same I think. Or maybe would just keep pestering the RSPCA til they acted.

ElenorRigby Tue 04-Feb-14 19:39:18

Bijan Ebrahimi was vilified, attacked and the killed because of rumours.
Was that right?

Is it right to condemn anyone with proof and due process?

ElenorRigby Tue 04-Feb-14 19:39:59

without proof

Icelollycraving Tue 04-Feb-14 19:41:22

Is the poster about you?

Birdsgottafly Tue 04-Feb-14 20:53:56

My dog, a rescue GS, struggled to put on weight, she looked like she was being starved.

She was healthy, just very thin.

One woman took it upon herself to make this her business.

I know my local RSPCA officer and dog warden, because I used to foster GS's, as well as tak

Birdsgottafly Tue 04-Feb-14 21:01:18

Sorry, taking home any strays that I found in my local park and usually finding their owner.

She put some very nasty rumours around about me.

I then switched to raw feeding, my dog does well on this.

She then made it her mission to let me know how opposed she was to this method of feeding.

I walk my dog very early and late, as well as going away camping etc, so I am not sen in local parks, we drive to our coastlines, my dog loves the beach.

I am continually harassed by this woman, I now tell her to FO.

Luckily I don't give a shit what people say about me.

I live in an area where your windows can be put in for fun, though.

Luckily enough people know how I do look after my dog and this woman is a crank.

Birdsgottafly Tue 04-Feb-14 21:05:15

"ah, and does the accused NOT walk their dog, so they are unlikely to see the poster? "

Over summer, my dog is "walked" in Wales and New Brighton/Crosby Coastline (I am in Liverpool). In winter, the (country) parks we use are at least a 15 minute drive away.

Just because you don't walk your dog locally, doesn't mean your dog isn't walked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now