Talk

Advanced search

to put microwave popcorn in the microwave?

(21 Posts)
endlesstidying Tue 04-Feb-14 16:07:29

Please don't' make this descend into a debate about the terrible health issues regarding the stuff I know all about it but on this occasion risked it.

The microwave is only 3 months old. After about 2 mintues it started smoking and a terrible acrid smell filled the kitchen. I turned it off and opened it and found it had started melting inside.

I have just phoned the manufacturer who told me that I'd invalidated the warranty by using microwave popcorn in the microwave. I've asked them to send me a copy of warranty with that clause highlighted. They refused saying it wqsn't that simple confused

AIBU to have put microwave popcorn in the microwave and not to have checked the warranty before doing so?

PinkLemons Tue 04-Feb-14 16:11:42

I put popcorn in the microwave all the time! Why would it ruin the microwave? confused

It was still in the bag wasn't it? grin

PinkLemons Tue 04-Feb-14 16:15:36

Images of loose popcorn pinging round inside!

endlesstidying Tue 04-Feb-14 16:16:26

Indeed it was PinkLemons. In fact I still have the bag of half cooked popcorn. Feeling deeply unimpressed right now

RunRunRuby Tue 04-Feb-14 16:24:01

You did take the paper bag out of the plastic bag didn't you? Or did you out the paper bit the wrong way up? Haven't had microwave popcorn for ages but I remember the instructions were quite specific.

However, if you can't put microwave popcorn in the microwave, how are you meant to cook it?! hmm YANBU

I'd push them to send you the relevant paperwork, do you have a copy of the warranty from when you bought it?

KayleeFrye Tue 04-Feb-14 16:25:50

hmmm I think YANBU and if microwaving popcorn is really a problem they need to have big stickers all over the microwave shouting "NOT SUITABLE FOR MICROWAVING POPCORN" - assuming, that is, that you followed the instructions exactly. if you google the make and model you can usually find a PDF of the instruction manual including the warranty page. It may be that there is some kind of line in there but that's still a bit ridiculous: a microwave that can't microwave microwave popcorn isn't really fit for purpose.

RunRunRuby Tue 04-Feb-14 16:28:32

Sorry I didn't mean that to sound so patronising! blush just thinking what could've gone wrong!

GhostsInSnow Tue 04-Feb-14 16:42:35

Thats utter madness! I microwave popcorn all the time (addicted to the salty stuff)

What is the make and model of your microwave? I'd be interested to read the instruction manual.

BumPotato Tue 04-Feb-14 16:55:17

What's so bad about popcorn? I always pop it in a pan because the one time I tried it in the micro, it caught fire....the popcorn not the micro.

antsypants Tue 04-Feb-14 20:34:02

If the warranty is still within the manufacturing period then you have a right to a set of your terms and conditions, including exclusions... And although a warranty is not an insured product, you have a right to escalate a complaint to the OFT if you feel you are not getting the correct consideration, equally, the retailer buying department can put pressure on a manufacturer, so it may be beneficial to contact the head office of the retailer you purchased it from.

If they have made the comment that it is 'not that simple' that probably means there is no specific exclusion for using microwave popcorn, don't let it lie... Call them and insist on speaking to a manager.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Feb-14 20:38:47

where did you buy it from? your contract is with whoever sold it to you so take it back to them

sooperdooper Tue 04-Feb-14 20:40:54

Push them for a copy of the warranty, how can it be 'not that simple' to provide!?

coffeeinbed Tue 04-Feb-14 20:41:10

That's the best thing about the microwave - making popcorn.
Why bother having one otherwise?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 04-Feb-14 20:42:46

It isn't unknown for microwave popcorn to catch fire, so I guess it might be a known risk?

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Tue 04-Feb-14 21:32:49

yanbu that's ridiculous.

KayleeFrye Wed 05-Feb-14 09:03:57

it's true that as it's only 3 months old it's the responsibility of the store you bought it from to ensure your product is fit for purpose. If you bought it on credit card don't you also have a claim against the credit card company for the responsibility to provide a functional product...

But OP you really need to tell us the make and model - go on name and shame!

MeepMeepVrooooom Wed 05-Feb-14 11:04:20

Microwave Popcorn? Why have I never seen/heard of this? I feel deprived <misses the point entirely>

WeShouldOpenABar Wed 05-Feb-14 11:45:41

Could someone expand on the terrible health issues, I eat it most weekends!

coffeeinbed Wed 05-Feb-14 12:11:21

tons of salt and saturated fats.
Corn popped in a pan with oil is ok, microwave is the work of the devil.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Wed 05-Feb-14 12:12:21

The salt and saturated fat is what makes it so tasty, though.

Dahlen Wed 05-Feb-14 12:14:36

That's crazy. The clue is in the name - microwave popcorn. I bet if you were take the "reasonable person" test so often used in case law you'd find that of 1000 people asked "do you think it's safe to use microwave popcorn in the microwave," 999 would reply "yes".

I definitely wouldn't let that lie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now