Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this is very disruptive for year 1?

(12 Posts)
grumpalumpgrumped Tue 04-Feb-14 12:23:04

DS (5) is in year 1. His teacher has another role in the school which means lots of time out of lessons. I have no issue with this, however the amount of time she is out is beginning to be very frequent.

As an example, over the past 7 school days, she has taught 2. If they had the same stand in each time it wouldn't really be an issue, but it is someone new each time.

Is it too much, too disruptive? Not sure what I would do anyway but it is beginning to concern me a bit.

WaffilyVersatile Tue 04-Feb-14 12:25:33

is it affecting your child directly? Year 1 isn't exactly academically led really, I am not sure I would be overly bothered unless it was having a direct effect

DameDeepRedBetty Tue 04-Feb-14 12:27:01

It does sound like Year 1 are being let down a bit at the moment. Could you ask if there are any plans to take on a permanent part-time teacher so that the class is shared between two regulars? This worked very well for two of the years at dtds primary, both teachers were particularly strong in different areas so the children actually benefited.

Goldmandra Tue 04-Feb-14 12:28:11

I would be asking for reassurance that this is a temporary blip, that the Head recognises how it could affect the children's learning and well being and will be making sure that more appropriate and consistent staffing arrangements are in place very soon.

grumpalumpgrumped Tue 04-Feb-14 12:28:19

DS seems to be progressing ok, his teacher made some comments at parents evening that I would like a bit more info on but its hard as she isn't there directly very much.

pussycatdoll Tue 04-Feb-14 12:29:57

How do you know exactly how much time she's teaching for ?
Don't rely on your 5 year old for accurate info
& if she's not there at the end of the day she might have been there all morning

grumpalumpgrumped Tue 04-Feb-14 12:30:34

Yes, a permanent part timer would be ideal.

grumpalumpgrumped Tue 04-Feb-14 12:31:48

The same supply lets them in and out, also several of the parents help out reading etc. Other years have said its been an issue before.

Iwannalaylikethisforever Tue 04-Feb-14 12:37:00

I had this exact same concern for two years. Teacher was constantly leaving TA to lead the class. Teacher took half of the class out on a trip and other half of the class stayed behind with the TA in charge. This alternated the following week for about 6 months.
She seemed to be always somewhere else other than teaching.
I'm of the opinion, although it annoyed me, that at 5 years of age it does children good to meet other adults and not become too attached to one teacher that changes when the enter year 1 anyway.

mrsjay Tue 04-Feb-14 12:42:18

when dd was in p1 (scotland) her teachers job shared so she only had one of them a day as she was also a senior teacher so had other things to do on her in day it worked fine and really didnt affect the class really if your son is pottling along ok then you dont really have much to worry about

Goldmandra Tue 04-Feb-14 13:21:00

It isn't about the children being attached to the teacher. It's about the teacher knowing the children well enough to teach them effectively.

Being taught by two or three teachers as part of a well planned and stable timetable is fine as the teachers will get to know each child's strengths and a needs in whatever they are teaching and will be able to adapt their approach appropriately.

Spending large proportion of the timetable being taught by adults who are unfamiliar with the children is undesirable and a more stable arrangement needs to be made.

grumpalumpgrumped Tue 04-Feb-14 13:40:47

Goldmandra - you have summarised my concerns perfectly. That is exactly my feelings on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now