Talk

Advanced search

WWYD, debt letter I know nothing about, please help

(16 Posts)
Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 04-Feb-14 11:58:19

I've received a letter from a bailiff company stating a owe a few hundred pounds about a debt I know nothing about.

It appears to be originally from TFL. If I have done something, stopped in a yellow box or something similar and received a fine then I would have paid it, but I have had no correspondence from TFL or anybody until today when I received this letter telling me my debt has now increased.

Increased from what?? I know nothing about it! This is the first I've heard about it and I don't even know what I've done!

What should I do? Do I phone the bailiff company? I don't really want to as I'm worried about scare tactics and its not like they're going to listen to me, and obviously I have no contact with TFL.

Help please. I'm often at home with my toddler and I'm pregnant and the last thing I want is bailiffs turning up on my door step.

Sorry for posting in here, I need the traffic and am worried.

gordyslovesheep Tue 04-Feb-14 12:00:22

Just call them, they aren't ogres

DipMeInChocolate Tue 04-Feb-14 12:02:12

I would phone them too. Ask them to provide details of the original debt and a copy invoice as you'd like to clear this up as soon as possible.

DipMeInChocolate Tue 04-Feb-14 12:04:28

Ie if you act like you want to pay asap, they'll be more forthcoming with information. (Years of working in Accounts Payable)

JoinTheDots Tue 04-Feb-14 12:05:13

I think I would google the bailiff company to see if anyone has previously complained about a scam or any scare tactics, so you know who you are dealing with.

Then I would write a list of things you need to know and ask when you call them, so you remain in control of the conversation.

When you call, keep it factual, asking about the specifics of the debt and who you can contact in TFL to sort this out. Stay standing up for the call, it might help you feel more confident. If they at any time seem aggressive or unprofessional, end the call politely, and get onto TFLs customer support to find out if they can help you identify the debt.

Hopefully it is a misunderstanding (I once got a congestion charge notice sent to my address in error, and it was quickly resolved as their mistake)

Good luck!

Iwannalaylikethisforever Tue 04-Feb-14 12:05:19

Who is tfl?
Contact consumer credit helpline .
The original creditor has a duty to prove what you owe. Phone them and discuss is the best way. I would phone and get advice first. There are some statutory rights that protect you.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 04-Feb-14 12:06:48

TFL is Transport for London who desk with things like congestion charge & Oyster cards/tube fines.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 04-Feb-14 12:08:52

I'm happy to pay the fine if I've done something wrong but I object to paying an increased fee as if I've been ignoring it, when I know nothing about it.

TFL is transport for London.

lottieandmia Tue 04-Feb-14 12:13:04

It sounds odd. Surely you should have received a notice about the fine in the first place? It may be an error.

Whatever happens, if bailiffs come to your door do not let them in and keep windows closed. They have no power if you don't let them in.

DipMeInChocolate Tue 04-Feb-14 12:14:02

Perhaps you need to call TFL accounts dept to see what they have on their systems.

Corkyandviolet Tue 04-Feb-14 12:14:09

It could be that somebody was caught evading their fare and gave your name and address instead of their own. This has happened to us twice. Both times I contacted them to say I knew nothing about the fare. They asked me to put it in writing, which I did, and I heard nothing more from them.

lottieandmia Tue 04-Feb-14 12:14:36

I think I have read on here that bailiffs are not allowed to pin unreasonable charges on people. Mostly they will try and bully.

ATotallyOriginalUserName Tue 04-Feb-14 14:46:50

Ahh you've had some little shit use your details as they've train hopped. I'd ring and explain politely and they should understand. I bet they get that all the time!!

jacks365 Tue 04-Feb-14 15:33:16

I would put it in writing rather than call. State you do not acknowledge or recognise the debt and that you require full ddetails in writing with regards to this.

I would also second checking out the company online there are quite a few out there who do try it on to just exort money from people out of fear.

firedengines Tue 04-Feb-14 15:49:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gamerchick Tue 04-Feb-14 15:52:34

was it addressed to you properly with your first initial? i've had debt letters addressed to miss maidename with no initial and it's never been my debt but rather sent to me in hope i'll answer it and probably everybody else with the same name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now