Talk

Advanced search

to expect a graphic designer to be able to read their design to see if it's grammatically correct?

(53 Posts)
HollyMiamiFLA Tue 04-Feb-14 10:29:54

So someone is designing an email for me.
He's sent me a few proof copies - I've sent them back and he's modified them.

He seems incapable of actually reading it to see if it makes sense. The 3rd one is going back as there's an obvious spelling error on it.

He's a designer in a company I am using for some marketing.

FriendlyLadybird Tue 04-Feb-14 10:33:33

YABU. Graphic designers design: they are not copywriters or proofreaders. One of the best designers I know is severely dyslexic and would never notice a spelling error. His visuals are sublime, however.

Cookethenook Tue 04-Feb-14 10:33:35

I'm pretty sure it's your job to proof read. A graphic designer is in charge of the graphics, not the wording. Also, i know 2 graphic designers and they're both dyslexic!

ThatYoghurtWontPotItself Tue 04-Feb-14 10:35:09

when i get promotional stuff designed it's me or the marketing manager in charge of the copy. i would never expect the graphic designer to check it

ViviPru Tue 04-Feb-14 10:36:08

Is he originating the copy text??

HollyMiamiFLA Tue 04-Feb-14 10:36:32

I'd expect someone who is writing the text in to at least notice if it seems correct.

HollyMiamiFLA Tue 04-Feb-14 10:36:56

He took some stuff from my ideas and adapted it.

WilsonFrickett Tue 04-Feb-14 10:37:25

YABU - not their job in the slightest. Copywriter or proofreader checks spelling, or if you're doing it on the cheap, the client does it!

WipsGlitter Tue 04-Feb-14 10:37:45

It is your responsibility to ensure it is spelt correctly. Are you supplying the text? Is he a copywriter?

HollyMiamiFLA Tue 04-Feb-14 10:39:07

According to the company, he's the person who will prepare your email for you.

A bit of a vague description.

HollyMiamiFLA Tue 04-Feb-14 10:39:40

And of course I will check the spellings and grammar.

TwelveLeggedWalk Tue 04-Feb-14 10:39:47

YABU. That's why people should employ copywriters and editors.

Or you either supply the EXACT text you want used, or proof it yourself. Their job is, clue's in the name, designing the graphics.

ViviPru Tue 04-Feb-14 10:40:56

You or the copywriter from the marketing company ought to be writing the text.

That said, FWIW, I'm a professional graphic designer and a spelling and grammar pedant. So while it's not specifically within the expected remit of a graphic designer to be adept at copywriting, it helps.

bigbadbarry Tue 04-Feb-14 10:41:02

Send it to me, I will copyeditor for you ;)
Not his responsibility, sorry.

KatoPotato Tue 04-Feb-14 10:41:35

YABU. Graphic designers are not copywriters or proof readers. It's their job to stick to the brief.

If I sent something to studio and someone took it upon themselves to change my copy I would not be amused.

bigbadbarry Tue 04-Feb-14 10:41:38

Um, I will copyedit. And rather better than my mumsnet posts might suggest!

KatoPotato Tue 04-Feb-14 10:42:30

haha! Didn't like to say bigbadbarry

HollyMiamiFLA Tue 04-Feb-14 10:42:55

The company said - give them some ideas and this person will use them, write the email and design it.

So he's not just a graphic designer. He looked at my website, looked at the ideas and used them to create it.

WilsonFrickett Tue 04-Feb-14 10:43:01

Vivi is a rare beast - most designers I know can 'see' fonts but not words thankfully, said the copywriter

WilsonFrickett Tue 04-Feb-14 10:44:01

Are they quite cheap Holly?

HollyMiamiFLA Tue 04-Feb-14 10:44:09

They gave me the impression that they know how to market and design emails with the right kind of language.

Not just relying on me to do the text. The impression was they would create an effective email.

ViviPru Tue 04-Feb-14 10:44:24

I wouldn't want anyone but me writing the copy for a document representing my business.

DH designs and manufactures exhibition stands. He receives copy from his clients. Times he has to return it back to them to correct errors he has found. And they're paying him just to design. They keep coming back though for his attention to detail.

<Pedant couple>

bigbadbarry Tue 04-Feb-14 10:44:54

Thank goodness there is no autocorrect at work, eh?!

ViviPru Tue 04-Feb-14 10:47:24

Vivi is a rare beast ha why thank you. Available for weddings... bar mitzvahs... freak shows et cetera et ceteraaaah

ErrolTheDragon Tue 04-Feb-14 10:48:02

If his job includes 'prepare your email' - which obviously involves words not just graphics - then either he should leave the text alone (i.e. not introduce errors) or check it. TBH it is so easy to run something through a spellchecker nowadays that whether historically it was a graphic designer's job or not, I'd have thought anyone who cared about doing a good job would do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now