Talk

Advanced search

to think facebook should not allow pictures of animal cruelty?

(26 Posts)
MaddestMother Mon 03-Feb-14 22:00:11

Over the last few days, people I know have been sharing pictures depicting animal cruelty, supposedly trying to find the perpetrators and raise awareness.
I know animal cruelty is disgusting and the people who do these things should be punished, but I do not want to see horrific images of animals being tortured!

WorraLiberty Mon 03-Feb-14 22:03:47

I agree. I was happily reading my newsfeed the other day when up popped a pic of a puppy with its ear cut off sad

I'm all for raising awareness but that was just so graphic and something I can't unsee.

I dread to think how some 13yr olds (and younger) would have coped.

Notfastmainlyfurious Mon 03-Feb-14 22:09:59

Me too, hate seeing these pictures and I know there are many younger people on FB too who really do not need to see that stuff. Of course it wrong to hurt animals but sharing a pic taken in the USA all over the world isn't going to stop it.

ATotallyOriginalUserName Tue 04-Feb-14 15:01:30

Ahh yes utterly vile. There was a video of a Pitbull torn to shreds by a Staffy not long ago and today i saw a picture of a man forcing vodka down a puppies throat!! Yes facebook will take down photo's of women showing their weight losses as it promotes advertising apparently... whacked up!

getdownshep Tue 04-Feb-14 15:47:37

A friend puts these pictures up and it upsets me for the ages after seeing them.
I hate any animal cruelty but have anxiety issues and it can make me feel really useless that I can't help or stop it happening.

clarksonforPM Tue 04-Feb-14 15:51:16

You could block 'friends' the post these pics and the argument regarding younger ones seeing shouldnt really exist due to the age restriction on Facebook.......

WaffilyVersatile Tue 04-Feb-14 15:54:31

well the fact of the matter is that it is supposedly an adults website (13+ anyway) so no children should be looking. I don't particularly like seeing them but its a free country so I just block what I don't appreciate being posted

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:02:58

13 year olds are not adults.

Sallyingforth Tue 04-Feb-14 16:07:57

Facebook is full of shit and isn't going to change.
Fortunately, in spite of what some people seem to think, FB is not compulsory and you can live quite happily without it.
<waits for backlash from obsessed FB users>

FurryDogMother Tue 04-Feb-14 17:22:28

Yep, just got a rhino with its horn cut off in my face (as it were). Sometimes I just have to hide a few people for a while - I hate the helplessness of seeing graphic cruelty and not being able to do a damn thing about it sad

WorraLiberty Tue 04-Feb-14 17:29:43

well the fact of the matter is that it is supposedly an adults website (13+ anyway) so no children should be looking.

That ^^ doesn't even make sense?

whitepuddingsupper Tue 04-Feb-14 17:33:07

What doesn't make sense? Facebook policy is no members under 13, anyone younger should not be reading facebook.

WorraLiberty Tue 04-Feb-14 17:34:26

But 13 year olds are children

So I don't understand what you mean by 'so no children should be looking'? confused

WaffilyVersatile Tue 04-Feb-14 17:41:22

you can split heirs if you like but I would have thought it is pretty obvious that there is a massive difference between a 13 yr old seeing a horrible picture and a 6 yr old seeing the same image.

WorraLiberty Tue 04-Feb-14 17:44:01

I'm not splitting hairs at all

There is also a massive difference between a 13yr old and an 18yr old adult seeing the same image.

WaffilyVersatile Tue 04-Feb-14 17:47:06

True, which is why just because a 13 yr old could use fb doesn't mean they should. I don't like the idea of banning things on principle - I do unfriend or hide people who share those kind of pics more than once because I don't like it but I still don't think a ban should be implemented. It should be a matter of personal choice.

mrsjay Tue 04-Feb-14 17:53:39

I have animal mad friends I am one myself but good god some of the horrific pictures one or 2 of them share is just shock it isn't fair to other fb users I know it is their newsfeed but i dont think it raises any awareness people will not do anything else than they do for animal chairties than they already do just because of a picture, some really are upsetting but shocking upsetting not the i must do something upsetting, I dont think they should be banned though maybe regulated but folk get pictures of the internet anyway so I dont know how it can be stopped

ilikebigbutts Tue 04-Feb-14 17:58:51

Apart from the sick pictures, what I really don't understand is how anyone thinks that clicking on a picture and "liking" the image of a puppy being forced to drink vodka/having its ear chopped off/a calf being made to suckle a penis (yes I have actually seen a pic of this on my FB pge) will actually fucking change anything !

It's like the thousands of "click like if you wish cancer didn't exist" fucking bullshit that appears daily on my page because a close family member was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Of course I wish it didn't fucking exist...please tell me how liking your poxy fucking picture will do this !

honeybunny14 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:04:19

Im am 100% with you on this i hate seeing stuff like that on facebook as i cant get it out of my head once ive seen it. They might want to raise awareness but there not alot you can do about animal cruelty apart from report it if its happening in rl but i dont see what sharing these pics achieve apart from upset.

Purpleknickers Tue 04-Feb-14 19:57:57

Totally agree and the reason I closed my Facebook account.. A picture of piglets being boiled alive in china, 2 months later I still cannot erase that picture. It's all very well saying hide that poster but once you've seen it there is no taking that image from your mind.

mrsjay Tue 04-Feb-14 20:24:22

i saw a rabbit being skinned alive once it was terrible was to raise awareness about angora rabbits it had the fluffy bunny then the skinned bunny side my side, horrific , i told the friend there was no need she deleted me

Benchmark Tue 04-Feb-14 20:32:26

I agree, I liked a cat rescue centre near me to help them raise awareness and I liked seeing all the cute pictures of cats that got rehomed then one day bam! they shared a horrific pic up of 6 images of a dog being tortured and beheaded. I was distraught!!

YoniRotten Tue 04-Feb-14 20:37:57

We need to stop the violence, not the pictures.

SeaSickSal Tue 04-Feb-14 21:36:44

I think most of the time the people who originally post them do so to distress people rather than to highlight a cause. And credulous people just repost them because they see the word 'animal' and just assume it's all legit. I don't think they realize that in a lot of cases they're being used to cause distress rather than promote animal welfare.

MyBaby1day Wed 05-Feb-14 06:03:09

I agree, oh my God it breaks my heart, little animals suffering. But I often wonder if, as a result, they are caught, if I thought the monsters who do it were then.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now