Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this legal? Re Advertising a job, but only for male applicants? No women allowed?

(130 Posts)
Confuddledmuchly Mon 03-Feb-14 20:25:44

Trial job vacancy for male youth/student .. suit age 15 to 18 Ad - hoc Sundays .. Must live XXX (surround 2 miles) Male.. must be outgoing, friendly, fit and willing.. Exempt from sex descrimination act due to lifting role Please apply via mail to XXX (XXX@live.co.uk) Stating age, hobbies, address and contact number ( no mums applying please for their sons ) Great learning opportunity for the right applicant. Thankyou We will send you details on email. . Please request job spec in subject line, thanks..

And yes they spelt 'discrimination' incorrectly in the Ad.

flowery Mon 03-Feb-14 20:26:52

It's sex discrimination and age discrimination.

GlitzAndGiggles Mon 03-Feb-14 20:27:11

No mum's applying for their sons grin

justmyview Mon 03-Feb-14 20:28:24

I think some roles which involve intimate personal care are exempt from sex discrimination laws, due to the nature of the role. Not sure about this ad

MeMySonAndI Mon 03-Feb-14 20:28:49

It is not legal... To say it that openly.

At the end if the day they are going to do whatever they want, but it is not legal to discriminate on advertising.

Lottiedoubtie Mon 03-Feb-14 20:29:03

Horrendous ad! No not allowed. 'Lifting' is not a recognised exemption as far as I am aware.

CoffeeTea103 Mon 03-Feb-14 20:29:05

Do you want the job?

poopooheadwillyfatface Mon 03-Feb-14 20:29:39

Where is the ad?

I think I want to apply.

WilsonFrickett Mon 03-Feb-14 20:29:52

Well it's badly worded - if 'lifting' they mean personal care (ie lifting a disabled person) then it could be exempt but they have to state that. If it's 'lifting boxes' then it's illegal.

poopooheadwillyfatface Mon 03-Feb-14 20:30:28

I haven't got any testicles of course, but I'd love to see what they say grin

HermioneWeasley Mon 03-Feb-14 20:30:38

Heavy lifting may exclude some women, but they should specify physical fitness not gender. It's unlawful discrimination.

KatyMac Mon 03-Feb-14 20:31:12

DD thinks it's unacceptable - apparently she can lift & it's breaking the equal rights act 20something or other (do you think she means the equalities act 2010?)

UriGeller Mon 03-Feb-14 20:31:16

Maybe its with the circus. Lifting weights with their bollocks?

Confuddledmuchly Mon 03-Feb-14 20:31:25

No, I don't want the job, ha! But I could have done a job like this standing on my head as a young girl, and done better than a heap of boys I knew at the time!

elevendays Mon 03-Feb-14 20:31:36

There are a few jobs which are exempt.

I guess 'lifting' may be code for lifting on to the toilet?

Confuddledmuchly Mon 03-Feb-14 20:32:28

No, It's lifting things like folding tables, like the ones you get at table top sales and car boots etc.

Confuddledmuchly Mon 03-Feb-14 20:33:31

Can anyone link to something about the laws for this for me please?

SelectAUserName Mon 03-Feb-14 20:33:39

Yup, discriminatory. No reason a 40-year-old female weightlifter couldn't do the job.

If it was heavy lifting as one part of a role of, say, Victim Support Officer at a male rape crisis shelter then they could claim exemption under the Genuine Occupational Reason clause, but that would be because of the sensitive nature of the environment not because there happened to be heavy lifting involved!

wimblehorse Mon 03-Feb-14 20:33:50

What 15 year old would be suitable for lifting in a personal care capacity? Or boxes etc that a grown woman couldn't?! Def dodgy

pixiepotter Mon 03-Feb-14 20:34:08

If there is heavy lifting they would not be allowed to employ school aged youngsters I wouldn't have thought

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 03-Feb-14 20:34:20

I do this every day of the week as a dinner lady. Can I apply?

Ragwort Mon 03-Feb-14 20:35:30

Agree with Just - if the role involves personal care then I believe you can state male/female (but would probably need to state 'exempt from Sex Discrimination under ................. Act). However it is probably someone needing help with a teenage boy with special needs so I would hope people would treat the advertisement sympathetically. Not everyone knows every detail about employment legislation.

I still have a college project from the 70s where jobs were clearly advertised 'male wages £x, female wages £y'.

Confuddledmuchly Mon 03-Feb-14 20:35:33

Apparently not bearleft You need a penis for this type of work donchaknow...

Ragwort Mon 03-Feb-14 20:36:25

How do you know its lifting heavy tables confused?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now