Talk

Advanced search

To feel really rather worried about the shouty gravel-yer-drive men ...

(36 Posts)
Fecklessdizzy Mon 03-Feb-14 14:15:19

I'm in a state. I'm shaking.

Just seen off a bunch of blokes who knocked on my elderly neighbour's door ( we share a drive ) said they were from the council and offered to fill in the couple of pot holes at the end of the drive for a couple of hundred quid - you can guess where this is going - they did the whole thing and demanded several thousand.

Lots of arguing.

We stuck to our guns and offered a cheque for the agreed amount. They kept going away and coming back asking for less each time and in the end said they'd settle for three hundred in cash ( offering to drive me to the cashpoint! ) We said no and offered a cheque for the agreed amount again. They went off saying that travellers never forget an insult.

I've phoned the non-emergency police number and told them what happened.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and what happened later?

Poppy67 Mon 03-Feb-14 14:24:32

Why would you pay people like this to do work for you? Did it not cross your mind that they would scam you?

fuzzywuzzy Mon 03-Feb-14 14:27:57

I've had people knock on my door offer to pave my (already paved) drive, cut trees remove trees etc I always tell them no thanks I've called the council and they're coming around.

CailinDana Mon 03-Feb-14 14:28:06

What did the police say?

It's a pretty rubbish scam if the did the work before getting any money.

jacks365 Mon 03-Feb-14 14:29:52

I read it as the elderly neighbour agreed to the work. If I got that right then it's your neighbour you need to watch out for as it's her they'll see as more likely to pay up with intimidation. I would get the police to speak to the neighbour to encourage her to phone them if these menhhassle her at all.

Fecklessdizzy Mon 03-Feb-14 14:32:52

It was Mr Next-door who agreed for them to fill in the pot hole, the first I knew about it was when he knocked and asked if I needed to get my car out in the next hour or so as the council were doing the road ...

AwfulMaureen Mon 03-Feb-14 14:33:25

The council doesn't knock like that! Why on earth did you agree?? Bit late for that now though. Tell the police...about the veiled threat. The worst they will do is damage the drive and then offer to fix it again. You need to be more on the ball about cold callers.

AwfulMaureen Mon 03-Feb-14 14:34:16

Oh I see! Gosh well if your neighbour agreed then why did you pay! You shouldn't have given them anything!

Fecklessdizzy Mon 03-Feb-14 14:35:39

I've left him with the police report number and told him to ring them if anyone tries to intimidate him.

WorraLiberty Mon 03-Feb-14 14:36:06

Why would they offer to drive you to the cash point if it was the guy next door, whose supposed to pay?

Fecklessdizzy Mon 03-Feb-14 14:38:26

I didn't pay! Nobody paid! Mr Next-door was trying to give them a cheque for the amount he agreed originally but they wouldn't take it!

jacks365 Mon 03-Feb-14 14:39:15

I would also assume feckless took over with the financial side of things to stop them taking advantage of a vulnerable person. For what it's worth I think you did the right thing not leaving it to him.

clarksonforPM Mon 03-Feb-14 14:41:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fecklessdizzy Mon 03-Feb-14 14:41:03

They were talking to me because he is very ancient and very, very deaf. I don't know why he was trying to drive me to the cash point!

Fecklessdizzy Mon 03-Feb-14 14:42:09

He ( shouty gravel man, not deaf ancient neighbour )

AwfulMaureen Mon 03-Feb-14 14:45:18

Tell the police on the non emergency number.

Fecklessdizzy Mon 03-Feb-14 14:48:11

I've told the police, they said to get in touch if the gravel men come back and get agressive - I suppose I'm worrying that they're going to chuck bricks through the window or poison the cat or something.

MrsCakesPremonition Mon 03-Feb-14 14:50:04

This is bullying and a nasty financial scam against someone that the travellers thought was vulnerable enough to be scared into paying whatever they demanded.

I hope the police helpful.

Fecklessdizzy Mon 03-Feb-14 14:56:03

The weird thing is that most of our travellers round here have irish accents and these blokes didn't at all, and he made a point of mentioning that he was a traveller/ travellers never forget a slight, several times ... Why make a big deal out of it?

MrsCakesPremonition Mon 03-Feb-14 15:00:06

Not all travellers have irish accents, although he may have been trying to deliberately mislead you.

Did you get their numberplate?

Fecklessdizzy Mon 03-Feb-14 15:01:51

Afraid not ... The lorry had the back tipped up so you couldn't see it.

VivienStanshall Mon 03-Feb-14 15:05:57

They argued, intimidated, demanded money and left with a veiled threat.

Go back to the police, ask for an interview, get it on record, get a crime number.

Quote crime number at pikeys should they return.

roundtable Mon 03-Feb-14 15:06:33

No need for the racist language Clarkson.

If you're worried op, ring the non emergency number again and let them know your concerns and what you would be advised to do.

Horrible that people deliberately take advantage of vulnerable people.

I would keep a pen, paper, camera within grabbing distance to make a note of license plate, descriptions of the people etc. Check with the police though to see ifusing a camera without permission is legal. I wouldn't want you to invalidate any evidence.

Hope it's cleared up soon.

WildThong Mon 03-Feb-14 15:11:37

We had the police here the other day, they are going round to warn everyone about bogus workmen in the area. Apparently they scammed some poor old soul, even taking him to the bank to get money. They said if we wanted to report not to use 101 but call 999 so it could be dealt with quickly, which shows how seriously they are taking these crimes.

knickernicker Mon 03-Feb-14 15:21:58

Yes they threatened you so you should report and get a crime number we have actually had travellers do a patio and trees. Despite a few lies,about what they'd agreed to do and a bit of a h rough manner they did,a good job. They would as it's,ht they do,every day. One of them did however come back saying they needed more money after I'd paid. Obviously I didn't go along with this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now