Talk

Advanced search

To be appalled by Top Gear 02/02/14

(206 Posts)
ineedanexcuse Sun 02-Feb-14 20:34:15

I am watching with my head in my hands and with a sick feeling. The 'team' are driving around a closed supermarket in small hot hatchbacks . The idea is for them to go round as quickly as possible

The amount of food that is wantonly destroyed is just sickening.There are families who have no food to eat today because of a variety of reasons and these idiots are finding it hilarious to drive over perfectly edible food for fun.

Surely there must be a better way to spend our TV license money than pay these old men and the programme makers who dream up this stuff.

CockBollocks Sun 02-Feb-14 20:35:18

Don't watch it then.

Joysmum Sun 02-Feb-14 20:35:25

Yeah probably, but I love it.

Coldlightofday Sun 02-Feb-14 20:35:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StopSquabbling Sun 02-Feb-14 20:36:14

Don't watch then.

WooWooOwl Sun 02-Feb-14 20:36:32

Maybe they are diving over stuff that's out of date.

I thought it looked fun.

ineedanexcuse Sun 02-Feb-14 20:36:46

Me not watching it will not prevent this wanton destruction of food though will it.DH loves it and admires all they do unfortunately.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 02-Feb-14 20:36:47

It makes more money than it costs from sales to other countries and the magazine. So it actually pays for the 'quality' programs.

You honestly think that wasn't set up? Sometimes, and I know this is a shock, things on TV aren't real shock

WorraLiberty Sun 02-Feb-14 20:37:25

Sounds like a dreadful waste of food

Not sure why them being 'old' has anything to do with it though.

Coldlightofday Sun 02-Feb-14 20:37:33

BarbarianMum Sun 02-Feb-14 20:38:09

The amount of food being wasted will be miniscule compared with the huge amounts that get chucked in the bin each day all across the UK. If you are enraged about food wastage there are several campaigns you can join.

Catsmamma Sun 02-Feb-14 20:39:42

oooh right in the plums

MajesticWhine Sun 02-Feb-14 20:40:47

YABU. Yes, it's extremely silly, but you don't have to watch. And it bears no relation to families who have no food to eat today.

LiegeAndLief Sun 02-Feb-14 20:41:06

Old men? Richard Hammond is 44!

Topseyt Sun 02-Feb-14 20:45:04

I am 47, so I must be ancient by that definition. I'm a woman and I love Top Gear, although haven't seen this one yet (another for the iplayer).

Yes, they are idiots, but that is the fun of it. I have loved some of their Christmas specials.

Quinteszilla Sun 02-Feb-14 20:45:58

I much prefer these comedians, this bloke driving his electric car IN to a shopping center, turning McD into a "drive thorugh". here

ineedanexcuse Sun 02-Feb-14 20:48:05

I dont need to join any campaigns as I am actively involved in our local food bank and also in helping those claiming benefits. I do know that there are many people who will not have food today and while I agree that this stunt doesnt take the food out of their mouths it is morally reprehensible for it to be entertainment.

It could just as easily be balloons or empty cardboard boxes to have the same effect.

But its all good fun isnt it? No reason to be upset about the waste.Im presuming you are all sitting there with full stomachs and enough to see you through to tomorrow.

AntlersInAllOfMyDecorating Sun 02-Feb-14 20:48:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HamletsSister Sun 02-Feb-14 20:50:46

Oh, FFS. It is an entertainment programme. You know, comedy, humour, to cheer people up.

RandallFloyd Sun 02-Feb-14 20:51:14

Do you feel the same about the gazzillion cookery shows that are on seemingly 24hrs a day?

I can understand the gut reaction when seeing something like that (although I'm not actually watching it so am just going by your description) but it it's just that. A gut reaction.

snice Sun 02-Feb-14 20:51:36

the cost of the 'food' in the programme is just part of the set designers budget-you might just as well complain about the cost of the dresses in Downton Abbey or the outside broadcast vans at a football game. All of it is essentially 'waste' but its all part of producing the programme.
But it was a very unfunny stunt

K999 Sun 02-Feb-14 20:51:43

YABU.....they routinely destroy things on Top Gear - cars, caravans, boats etc.....it's hilarious sometimes grin

Salmotrutta Sun 02-Feb-14 20:53:32

sitting with my head in my hands and a sick feeling.

Blimey.

Coldlightofday Sun 02-Feb-14 20:54:54

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now