Talk

Advanced search

OK iabu as it's fb but sheesh

(100 Posts)
BuntCadger Sat 01-Feb-14 11:11:54

I have a scrummy 11 day old baby and finally chose his name yesterday. Zachary Benjamin smile do I text family and friends and later upload a few pics for friends and family on fb with his name.

lots of lovely messages and all good. .. then a message from cousin "really? I think my Zachary was happy being the only one! " I replied that I didn't know she had a Don with that name but that it is such a lovely. name and sure lots of boys have thus name.

today there is another message about the fact 3 of my 4 children share names with her family. Thomas did Jessica. . They are hardly unusual names and they are names I like. nothing to do with her family.

she's now in her early 50s and a grandma herself so her kids are a fair bit older. j just don't get why she feels the need to be so snipey. I was all grin as loved up.with newborn and she's just made it a bit sad . dh.wants me to. "unfriend" her but it seems a bit petty, although. I wouldn't have to see her comments

smallandimperfectlyformed Sat 01-Feb-14 11:15:10

Ignore the silly cow. Congratulations on the birth of your baby and they are all lovely names flowers

BillyBanter Sat 01-Feb-14 11:17:21

I think she us deluding herself if she thinks her Zachary I'd the only one these days. Maybe when he was a kid.

I probably would be a bit wtf if a relative used all the same names as me. I can see how it would look from her point if view but I'm not sure why it would be a problem, with there being such big age gaps.

BuntCadger Sat 01-Feb-14 11:18:02

blush blush sorry for typos. Totally crap at posting on this phone especially with Nursling snuffling away

YouTheCat Sat 01-Feb-14 11:18:13

Hide her. And then limit what she can see that you post. Job done and then you can relax and enjoy your baby.

Your cousin sounds like a cow tbh.

Mintyy Sat 01-Feb-14 11:19:41

If you don't know the name of one of her children then you are not really friends with her, so hide or delete her.

BuntCadger Sat 01-Feb-14 11:20:11

Billy sorry I'm drip feeding I meant that 3 of the children are same as her family not her children. si her dad us a Tom and she had a sister who's a jess. she's one of 6 and has 6 of her own and our extended family is huge.

Sickofthesnow Sat 01-Feb-14 11:21:23

She's being ridiculous. Nobody has claims to name for crying out loud. I called my little boy a specific name as it was the ONLY name DH and I agreed on and because it was the first one we both said yes to we picked it there and then.
Turns out I have a cousin and my dads uncle has this name, but to be honest we didn't think of that when choosing the name!

It's a name (and a lovely one at that you have picked!) - I would unfriend if it were me tbh on the principal that she's trying to cause an argument with a new mother.
She is the one being unreasonable x

jerryfudd Sat 01-Feb-14 11:25:27

I agree with previous poster - if you don't even know her kids names she isn't close so just delete or or hide her and block what she sees

BuntCadger Sat 01-Feb-14 11:34:49

i hate being all 'unfriending' as I've only ever done this once to someone who was vile about women. I am not close to this cousin as she is much older and so as children I spent time with her siblings and not her. We'd gotten closer as older but not close obviously as I don't know her kids names. I have set her to limited/restricted profile and acquaintance.

This isn't the first time she's been like this but I always ignore and hope that I'm misreading it, but I think the consensus is right... she's being a cow.

I deleted her comments from the album and popped this message there which I will also remove later " I deleted the comments as really don't want to justify why we have chosen the names we have for our children . No one "owns" the rights of their names and frankly they're deluded if they think they do." as some lovely friends sprang to my defense. x

Birdsgottafly Sat 01-Feb-14 11:47:26

At her age she should of took it to Inbox, not posted on your picture.

If the Names are family names, or not very special then it is a ridiculous comment.

My GM had an unusual name and I will admit than when an adopted child (my cousin-ish) decided to call her DD by her name , I was bothered.

But combined with the Surname (French) there is no others by this name on FB, if it had of been a traditional name, such as Zachary (that was on my list 18 years ago) or Thomas, then it wouldn't of mattered.

Now I'm in my 40's it doesn't bother me as much.

LoveWine Sat 01-Feb-14 11:48:07

What a cow. It's very rude to make comments like this...I would just ignore her, don't let this get you down. Enjoy your little one and his lovely name!

ladymariner Sat 01-Feb-14 11:50:29

Ooooh I had a fb cull the other week, it was liberating!!! Do it, unfriendly her and then you won't have to see her stupid comments ever again....

I have a Benjamin, btw, fabulous name choice grin xxxx

ladymariner Sat 01-Feb-14 11:51:03

Unfriendly??? Unfriend, even!! X

Nanny0gg Sat 01-Feb-14 11:55:11

So, the odds are, your DC will never meet their namesakes?

Silly woman. Ignore.

(and Congratulations!)

Chivetalking Sat 01-Feb-14 11:57:04

Congrats on your baby. He has a lovely name smile

Ignore the miserable ratbag. Unless she has taken out patents on the names she's gipping about she has no right to comment.

I used the same name as my cousin had for dc2. All my cousins were much older than me and had nicked all the good names grin No-one commented to me about it. I never saw her and they were unlikely to meet but even if they had it wouldn't have been an issue to me.

Misspixietrix Sat 01-Feb-14 11:57:30

I loved my DDs name and thought she would be the only one (Pixie is a very common name and forever turning around when it is shouted). She did indeed be the only one with that name when she was in private nursery then when she got to school they were two other girls with the same name pronounced exactly the same way. Gutting. grin. I however would most certainly not comment on someone's facebook about the fact a relative had chosen the same name as my Ds. I'm sure her Z has more important things to be getting on with like filling his nappy teething and sleeping that to be not 'happy' about being the only one confused.

Damnautocorrect Sat 01-Feb-14 12:00:45

"I just want to be you, I want your life, your my idol"

Daft cow

hippity Sat 01-Feb-14 12:01:15

Text her back to say you're getting guinea pigs and intend to call them x and y [names of remaining children in her family] grin

ladymariner Sat 01-Feb-14 12:09:33

grin hippity and a Vietnamese Pot Bellied pig that you're calling her name!!!

BuntCadger Sat 01-Feb-14 12:17:00

grin love the menagerie name sake ideas.. might name the pig after her.

And damn I should of replied that I want to be her.

Toocold Sat 01-Feb-14 12:23:36

How ridiculous, her not you. Congratulations!, both names are beautiful, I may be somewhat biased as I have a Benjamin. She is mean to do that to someone that has just had a baby. Ignore and enjoy your new baby.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sat 01-Feb-14 12:30:53

Just ignore. She made herself look rather unkind to harp on.

Congratulations!

< envy @ Baby snuffles smile >

crazykat Sat 01-Feb-14 12:58:00

That's an over the top reaction from her. It's not as though the children are the same age or the names are uncommon. I have three cousins with the same name as me (well technically second cousins), they're all spelt differently. It's never bothered me, we hardly ever see each other anyway as they're in Ireland and the US and we have a huge family on that side - they're 2 of my nan's nieces and she had over 40 nieces and nephews!

Don't let it bother you, as others have said no one owns a name. The only time it would be a bit strange would be if it was your nephew with the same name but even then its up to you what you call your son.

Topaz25 Sat 01-Feb-14 13:06:54

She's being ridiculous. It seems as if she doesn't like someone else getting attention so she tried to make it all about her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now