Advanced search

I don't understand tax or benefits or tax or any of that shit

(22 Posts)
FederationPresidentBarryFife Fri 31-Jan-14 11:07:58

WIBU to just leave it - or at least just leave it up to my husband. I know it is pathetic. I am an educated woman, I have a degree and pre DC held down a management job in the creative industries. But I DON'T UNDERSTAND TAX. I just want to hide and cry. And hide some more. I fear we will be facing a fine. I have read the literature, I speak English. I still don't get it. Am I an idiot?

So, as I do EVERYTHING in the house while DH is working (bills, cooking,car, cleaning) can I just say fuck it and leave it to him!??? (even though I suspect he is as crap as I am….)

TalkieToaster Fri 31-Jan-14 11:27:53

I suspect a lot of people will think 'just get on with it', but I say there's nothing wrong with playing to your strengths. If you've genuinely, genuinely tried to understand it and you have a mental blind spot over it, then stop trying. That is why people pay accountants but you have a handy husband who can do it instead. smile

WilsonFrickett Fri 31-Jan-14 11:38:55

If you're talking about your tax return you have 12 hours to file it so here is a <a grip>.

You totally, 100% can do it. Just knuckle down, stop fretting, post questions or search on the freelance forum for answers. It is not difficult and it can be done.

Alternatively, if you can afford the £100 daily fine, leave it for DH.

once it's done you can talk to DH about division of labour etc so you don't end up in the same position next year. But today, put your big girl pants on and file your tax return!

agnesf Fri 31-Jan-14 11:43:02

Have you got to do a tax return? What exactly don't you understand? How to log on/ what to put in boxes/ what? If you need help you can ask MNers or phone HMRC who are actually pretty helpful

FederationPresidentBarryFife Fri 31-Jan-14 11:49:11

Basically DH earns 51K. I am a SAHM. We have 2 daughters but I only claim child benefit for one of them as the laws changed when DD2 was born so I didn't bother claiming. So since 2010 I have received a very welcome £80/month from the gvnment. So - now, do I need to fill a tax return? Shall I just cancel the payments? I live in fear of any large bill as we are on the edge of what we can afford in terms of bills and mortgage. (which is modest - and didic that such a high wage isn't enough to be comfortable but that is another thread!!!)
Big girl pants: Love it.
I need to go out a buy a pair don't I!!!???

FederationPresidentBarryFife Fri 31-Jan-14 11:49:43

didic = ridiculous

poopooheadwillyfatface Fri 31-Jan-14 11:50:42

At £51k there's a great chance that you would keep all or almost all of the CB.

By the time pension contributions etc come off his income, it's worth doing.

jacks365 Fri 31-Jan-14 11:55:30

At 51k you are leaving yourself out of pocket by not claiming for both dc. What you get for the second will be more than you need to repay plus if pensions are paid you may not need to repay any at all. Get the claim in for dd2 as soon as the tax return is done

elliejjtiny Fri 31-Jan-14 11:56:21

Phone HMRC, they'll help you. I did that the first time I had to do my tax credit renewal.

BirdintheWings Fri 31-Jan-14 11:57:45

He needs to do a tax return, not you. And he needs to do it NOW.

WilsonFrickett Fri 31-Jan-14 11:58:31


Ok so first of all, I'm interpreting this as he has to fill in the return because it is his income which is above 50k.

So that's one load off your mind - not your problem.

Has he ever filled in a tax return before? Ie is he registered for Self Assessment? If not he is too late to get his return in as he should have registered before October.

So the first q is: is anyone registered for self assessment?

Lifeofatortoise Fri 31-Jan-14 12:03:44

Is he registered for self assessment? Does he pay into a pension? There is an online calculator to work out how much you may need to repay, I've put 1 child in with income of £51k no pension conts and it comes up you need to repay £26 if he has paid into a pension it would be less. I think with his income he still needs to submit tax return though.
Disclaimer: I'm definitely not an expert, just trying to help. If he's an employee details on form will be really easy to complete, no idea if self employed.

FederationPresidentBarryFife Fri 31-Jan-14 12:34:00

You guys are amazing. Thank you - I feel better already and I'll claim for DD2. Thank you Mumsnet Army!!!!!

IHadATinyTurtle Fri 31-Jan-14 12:43:27

Slightly confused - DH works and we get child benefit, he's not self employed, earns 28k, are we meant to have filled out a form recently for the child benefit?

loveisagirlnameddaisy Fri 31-Jan-14 12:46:29

No Turtle. It only affects PAYErs earning over 50k threshold who are still claiming CB. They will have to pay some or all of it back through a self assessment.

jacks365 Fri 31-Jan-14 12:49:18


You are ok it only applies to higher incomes over 50k

babybarrister Fri 31-Jan-14 14:41:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BirdintheWings Fri 31-Jan-14 14:59:04

But Baby, it isn't the OP's tax return, and she isn't the one owing the tax.

GrandadGrumps Fri 31-Jan-14 15:08:02

The important thing is whether he earned over £50,000 in the year ending 5th April 2013.

And as other people have said, if you've got 2 DC you should be claiming for both of them, at least until your DH's income goes over £60,000.

GrandadGrumps Fri 31-Jan-14 15:12:48

And the penalty for not filing the return isn't £100 per day, it's a flat penalty of £100 plus an additional £10 for every day over 3 months late.

grumpyoldbat Fri 31-Jan-14 15:31:15

OP it's your DH's tax return.

I have been terribly confused with tax returns in the past. I had to call last week and the guy I spoke to was lovely and helpful. I was just honest and said that I was confused about what I was doing and he talked me through it.

Preciousbane Fri 31-Jan-14 15:34:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now