Talk

Advanced search

To say we shouldn't relax gun laws as Farage suggests...

(34 Posts)
RandyRudolf Sat 25-Jan-14 12:58:07

Nigel Farage calls for gun laws to be relaxed

We don't need guns.

Interesting comments below the article though...

Spudnik2 tommanleysays
24 January 2014 11:15pm
Guns of any type ( hand guns or long guns does not matter ) only become a problem when in the hands of the wrong people.
The lower and middle class tend to be the wrong hands these days.
These are the groups most likely to pick up a hand gun and use it in a crime.
The rich however do not need guns, they can hire people for that.
( And they tend to commit crimes that are harmless like blowing up the banking sector ).
It was not that long ago that gun laws were more relaxed and we did not have a problem.
What has changed?
The people of course!
With the decline in standard of living and the stress this has caused all violence is quietly increasing ( even if statistics show us it's in decline because of the ageing population ).
Simply put cure the social ills and the gun and violent crime troubles goes away.
Now why would a Tory want more guns?
The rich are scared

WilsonFrickett Sat 25-Jan-14 13:53:31

It's Farage. Every word from his mouth is U. And nuttier than squirrel poo.

Custardo Sat 25-Jan-14 13:54:32

we should do anything he suggests, hes a nobber

FreudiansSlipper Sat 25-Jan-14 14:01:01

What the fuck is this man on about now

he is best ignored but sadly he is not

Oakmaiden Sat 25-Jan-14 15:11:14

Another comment on there: sometimes it's tempting to want to take the top of the head of someone like Farage off and look inside, just out of stunned amazement.

Genuinely chuckling...

maddening Sat 25-Jan-14 15:17:55

Of course we shouldn't - why would we want to end up like the usa - lots of gun related crimes every year, accidental shootings etc if you let the genie out of the bottle then burglars will carry guns as it is possible they may meet a homeowner with a gun - so then more homeowners have guns as if they are burgled the criminal is likely to be carrying a gun.

gun laws should be as tight as possible!

Joysmum Sat 25-Jan-14 16:06:04

The guy's a twat!

'Nough said.

Juliaparker25 Sat 25-Jan-14 16:45:22

The 1997 Firearms Act amendments effectively banning handguns were the result of a pissing competition between that well known pacifist Anthony Blair (250,00 Iraqis and counting) and (I couldn't keep my dick out of the payroll) John Major. Said competition evolved as a result of the Dunblane shootings perpetrated by Thomas Hamilton which led to the deaths of 16 children and Teachers. Hamilton had been clearly caught on several occasions behaving in a manor which clearly breached the terms of his firearm certificate, Wee Jock McPlod were informed on several occasions and because of Hamilton's relationship with Wee Jock his certificate was not revoked and his Pistols remained UN-confiscated.
If we go further back to Hungerford we also find that Ryan's possession of a Chinese Type 56 (AK47 Lookalike) was again the result of Plod incompetence, The club to which ,he belonged was not approved for that caliber of weapon, TVP missed that one ................

The Laws as they stand are stupid , it is permissible to own a 0.308 Straight Pull Assault weapon, accurate out to 3 Km,a skilled user can fire 20 rounds a minute and keep them within a 10 inch circle.We are however unable to own pistols specifically designed to compete at international and Olympic competition (0.22) ,7 shot pump action tactical shotguns are also legal . My two penneth for what its worth is unless you can win an Olympic medal with it you cant have it . Also keep weapons at clubs in secure lock up facilities. That's where mine is which is also quite legal , it is an 1863 Rogers and Spencer black powder revolver, it takes 15-20 minutes to load it but it is as lethal as the day it came off the production line.Our current laws are ridiculous , still politicians and Chief Constables came up with them , entry to the first category is 500 quid , the second is being able to read a Janet and John book (have a look at the Police entrance exam if you don't believe me)

wobblyweebles Sat 25-Jan-14 16:45:34

He's not very clever is he?

wobblyweebles Sat 25-Jan-14 16:47:05

Oh and I live in the USA and have had to have conversations with my children about what to do if they find a gun in a friend's house, under a seat in a cinema, in a shop bathroom, or anywhere else. (In the last year people have found guns in all of these locations in my home state.)

Euphemia Sat 25-Jan-14 16:57:38

Gun murder per 100,000 population in 2010:

USA 3.2
England & Wales 0.1

'Nuff said.

Dawndonnaagain Sat 25-Jan-14 16:59:27

No, it wasn't a pissing competition, although there were arguments between Blair and Major about the Dunblane Massacre, but it wasn't to do with the gun rulings. Quite a few MPs felt that it didn't go far enough, on all sides of the house.
I certainly wouldn't like to get to the point where gun law is as the USA. Farage is a bit of an idiot though, and he for some strange reason thinks this may be a popular move.

BumPotato Sat 25-Jan-14 17:07:13

DH who does speak shite now and again it must be said was saying the other day that Farage is becoming the most popular politician down south (we're in Scotland). That is scary stuff indeed.

YANBU OP.

EdithWeston Sat 25-Jan-14 17:07:52

He's probably right in so far as removing weapons from harmless sports shooters has not and will never make any difference to the likelihood of gun crime. (Unless you postulate that criminals are going to start burgling sportspeople specifically to resell their weapons within the criminal fraternity).

The measure was always spin, not substance.

But it's not really one that needs revisiting now.

Juliaparker25 Sat 25-Jan-14 17:07:57

My reasons for calling it a Pissing competition is that there was an election pending

RandyRudolf Sat 25-Jan-14 17:15:57

He wouldn't dream of removing firearms from sports shooters as he's a big fan of blood sports and the likes.

Juliaparker25 Sat 25-Jan-14 17:18:13

I was not aware that shooting Bambi and Thumper were Olympic disciplines .No place for either in a modern society

StoorieHoose Sat 25-Jan-14 17:26:48

"Wee jock mcplod" ? hmm

Nice

newyearhere Sat 25-Jan-14 17:43:18

YANBU

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 25-Jan-14 18:44:26

From what I can remember of the stats for this, gun crimes are at the same levels as they where before handguns where banned.

The only people to suffer form this have been competitive shooters.

wobblyweebles Sat 25-Jan-14 19:35:37

From what I can remember of the stats for this, gun crimes are at the same levels as they where before handguns where banned.

Actually the last seven years in the UK gun crime has dropped every year.

But if you want to be having conversations with your kids like 'What would you do if you found a gun at your friend's house' then perhaps gun laws should be relaxed.

Personally it's not something I enjoy doing.

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 25-Jan-14 21:06:01

gun crime remained largely static from 1996 till 2007 when it went up 40% due to gang related crimes.

That would tie in to your drop in the last 7 years.

"But if you want to be having conversations with your kids like 'What would you do if you found a gun at your friend's house' then perhaps gun laws should be relaxed."

Why should I have that talk when most sport enthusiasts kept their guns at the places where they trained.

As was posted up thread, you are still likely to see shotguns and small fire arms, not to mention air rifles. So you could still be having these talks now.

wobblyweebles Sat 25-Jan-14 22:55:09

As was posted up thread, you are still likely to see shotguns and small fire arms, not to mention air rifles. So you could still be having these talks now.

But you don't do you?

wobblyweebles Sat 25-Jan-14 22:55:22

...whereas I do.

Nataleejah Sat 25-Jan-14 23:04:50

A friend who has a museum showed me what rubber bullets are like. So i think everybody owning guns is a right thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now