Talk

Advanced search

To really miss Guybrush Threepwood?

(109 Posts)
JennySense Sun 19-Jan-14 14:39:46

and wish there more adventure games out there that are fun and witty [and available on the mac?]
Any MN got some to recommend to me?

Nousernameforme Sun 19-Jan-14 14:50:11

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00005JGEV/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
You can get it on the ps2 I had to look at the thread because I recognised the name
You can get ps2 consoles for about £30 preowned the discworld one two and noir are also very good though v expensive now preowned they are on the ps. I don't know anything about whats availible for a mac I'm afraid but is you find any for windows let me know

brightnearly Sun 19-Jan-14 14:51:11

I miss Guybrush, too! A few classic adventures came out for iphone-ipod-ipad recently as well as quite a few new Monkey island adventures.

Check out the two parts of Broken Sword as well!

brightnearly Sun 19-Jan-14 14:52:04

And Simon the Sorcerer. And from Lucas Arts for PC "The Dig".

brightnearly Sun 19-Jan-14 14:52:41

Also, the Indiana Jones games!

ReticulatingSplines Sun 19-Jan-14 14:53:04

www.gog.com/

That's got lots of old games. Day Of The Tentacle also a favourite here smile

Nanny0gg Sun 19-Jan-14 14:53:36

My favourite game! Just talking about it the other day!

Discworld were really hard games though. Never got through those without the walkthrough,

LuciusMalfoyisSmokingHot Sun 19-Jan-14 14:55:04

YANBU, hes one of the best VG characters made. Found memories of my childhood thanks to those games.

Nanny0gg Sun 19-Jan-14 14:55:41

Childhood?

<gulps>

Nanny0gg Sun 19-Jan-14 14:57:10

ReticulatingSplines

Thanks for that link - I happen to have a PlayStation 2...

fluffyraggies Sun 19-Jan-14 14:57:13

DH says anything done by 'Telltale' games is good.

Have you had a go at Sam & Max, OP? Very similar format to the monkey island games.

brightnearly Sun 19-Jan-14 14:59:32

Thanks for the link, splines. It's a treasure chest and a recipe for existing on four hours sleep a night

TerrariaMum Sun 19-Jan-14 15:04:56

Also, look on Steam. There is loads of good stuff there. If you just enjoy a bit of silliness, I found Dungeons of Dredmor to be loads of fun.

And second the mention of good old games. I was only introduced to Baldur's Gate a few years ago by DH and played it obsessively to the end when PG with DD1.

brightnearly Sun 19-Jan-14 15:05:42

Oh yes, King's Quest is really good, too!

It took two of us nearly 6 months to get through Monkey Island 2 back in 1993, when there were no walkthroughs!

ZakMcCracken Sun 19-Jan-14 15:08:48

My favourite was Zak McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders!

On another not- I thought I had the username 'GuybrushThreepwood' but it seems to not be there hmm. Could MNHQ have taken it away if there's no messages posted in that name? shock confused

LuciusMalfoyisSmokingHot Sun 19-Jan-14 15:09:11

Nanny Im nearly 31 and remember the games, thanks to having an older brother.

eyebrowsfurrowed Sun 19-Jan-14 15:09:47

Day of the tentacle was AMAZING too. Always wanted to be Elaine, what a heroine. There is a good gender balance in Monkey Island.

ReticulatingSplines Sun 19-Jan-14 15:16:16

I love Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital. They haven't been repeated.

eyebrowsfurrowed Sun 19-Jan-14 15:18:01

Oooh and theme park world

collarsandcuffs Sun 19-Jan-14 15:19:09

I have Monkey Island APP on my Mac...loved waving my sword like a feather duster like 'in the old days'! ha!

SofaKing Sun 19-Jan-14 15:22:16

I love Guybrush too. My niece owns a giant plaster skull called Murray grin.

I think Telltale did a good Wallace and Gromit puzzle game too, Grim Fandango was great and now available on Steam I think.

I had hoped Telltale games would do another Monkey Island game but with Lucasarts now part of Disney I don't know if they would license it to the studio again, but I really hope they do, I miss insult sword fighting!

SofaKing Sun 19-Jan-14 15:23:58

Reticulating the studio that did Endless Space is developing a game called Endless Dungeon which seems to be very like Dungeon Keeper, but probably not as comic sadly. I take it you also like the Sims grin

eyebrowsfurrowed Sun 19-Jan-14 15:24:08

my fav bit was sticking the chopsticks in the sushi serving mechanism so the flaming mussels melted the wax picture. What was yours?

Nanny0gg Sun 19-Jan-14 15:24:47

Nanny Im nearly 31 and remember the games, thanks to having an older brother.

<sobs>

I love Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital. They haven't been repeated
I was just about to post that! Brilliant fun - and I managed to complete them. I did buy updated PC versions a while back, I'll have to see if they work now.

I used to like the Pharaoh and Atlantis and Emperor games too. Much of a muchness but I enjoyed building with little fighting.

minniebar Sun 19-Jan-14 15:25:20

Loved those games. And Grim Fandango. Classics!

DH did see Monkey Island in a charity shop the other day, but I said I didn't want it because I'd just spend waaay too much time playing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now