Talk

Advanced search

To say that if I hear the Tory cliche "hard working families" once more

(176 Posts)
DreamingofSummer Fri 17-Jan-14 13:16:38

I'll personally nail Osborne's scrotum to the floor

offblackeggshell Fri 17-Jan-14 13:18:18

YANBU. I'll hold your spare nails incase you miss first time.

Rissolesfortea Fri 17-Jan-14 13:19:07

I caught a bit of Question time last night and heard this bloody annoying cliche yet again, I said to DH that I could lay money on the fact that the speaker was a tory.

I share your anger.

OddFodd Fri 17-Jan-14 13:19:09

I'll bring a back up hammer. Can we nail all of them, not just Osborne's?

LedareAnsley Fri 17-Jan-14 13:19:53

grin

MrsBungle Fri 17-Jan-14 13:21:41

I'm with you. This "people who work hard" phrase makes me want to scream. My mum worked in a factory job in the day and took us to two cleaning jobs with her at night, she worked far harder than I ever have yet I earn probably 6 times what she did.

bachsingingmum Fri 17-Jan-14 13:21:57

Highly irritating cliche though it is, I don't think you can pin it on the "Tories". I'm pretty sure Gordon Brown used it repeatedly when he was chancellor.

girlwhowearsglasses Fri 17-Jan-14 13:23:46

YANBU and have you noticed they spelled it 'hardworking' alloneword at the Tory conference? That did it for me. hmm

DreamingofSummer Fri 17-Jan-14 13:24:16

Bach

In that case I'll add Balls to the list as well.

Balls - Scrotum seems a good connection

flatpackhamster Fri 17-Jan-14 13:25:06

It was originally coined by Blair, Brown and Balls, so yes, YABU.

But I'm sure that won't stop the Tory Hate.

tethersend Fri 17-Jan-14 13:26:08

hardworkingtaxpayingfamilies

We're a bone-idle tax paying family.

<scratches arse>

OddFodd Fri 17-Jan-14 13:26:28

Do you have a little bell that goes off on your computer every time the Tory party are mentioned, flatpack?

Mim78 Fri 17-Jan-14 13:26:30

I do wish that they would stop using this term as I'm not sure the whole family will be hard working. What if the parents work hard to earn money but in fact the kids are quite lazy in schools?

And what if you are hard working but not in a family? Do you count?

I think Labour have used this term too though - maybe even coined it - and I don't like the tories one bit!

RutaSkadi Fri 17-Jan-14 13:26:35

I think you should still do it, even if they stop using it smile

It's very irritating, the tories love a catchphrase don't they?

squoosh Fri 17-Jan-14 13:27:33

This guy is my new favourite Tory.

Family breakdown is costing the taxpayer tens of billions of pounds a year and people should not be afraid to condemn couples who separate, Sir Gerald Howarth said.

BananaNotPeelingWell Fri 17-Jan-14 13:28:02

Very patronising. Like that advert saying it was a Proud Sponsor of Mums. I think we all know when smoke is being blown up a certain part of our anatomyhmm

mrsjay Fri 17-Jan-14 13:28:03

they had it all one word as they wanted it to be a slogan so it stuck in peoples minds, yes HARD working families gets on my goat but the tories try to make up believe they are one of us and are just as squeezed as everybody else fuck off

BananaNotPeelingWell Fri 17-Jan-14 13:31:19

Yes like that other slogan ...we're all in this together.

Goldencity1 Fri 17-Jan-14 13:31:30

OP, do you want to borrow OH's nail gun?

SomethingkindaOod Fri 17-Jan-14 13:32:40

I think any cliche that any politician or newspaper commentator comes out with such as including the words 'British Taxpayer' in a sentence about benefits should have it tattooed across their head by a 2 year old.
Along with:
Hard working families
Feckless poor
And anything else along those lines that you read in the newspapers.
It really annoys me how some people seem to have forgotten how to talk or write normally without resorting to cliches.

Viviennemary Fri 17-Jan-14 13:34:59

Even worse is Milliband insisting everything will be wonderful if only Labour got in again. Surely nobody is falling for that. I did vote Labour last time but absolutely will not be voting for them again for a very very long time.

BigBoobiedBertha Fri 17-Jan-14 13:51:50

YABU, unless you intend to nail all politician's scrotums to the floor for any damn lazy cliche they keep trotting out. It isn't only the Tory's who use hard working families and they all have annoying cliché phrases - 'squeezed middle classes' is another one that gives me the hump at the moment.

bachsingingmum Fri 17-Jan-14 13:53:14

There also seems to be an unspoken implication that if you are lucky enough to earn more than the average that you can't be "hard working". From what I see most people who are high earners work very hard - and there is a correlation. (Of course many people who are not highly paid also work very hard.)

Abra1d Fri 17-Jan-14 13:55:19

Yup, the highly paid I know, work far harder than I ever did.

OhGoveUckYourself Fri 17-Jan-14 13:59:54

I'd vote for any political party who wanted to make it mandatory to nail condescending politicians' scrotums (scrota?) to the floor. Unfortunately I have heard female MPs use the term far too often as well! Hmmm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: