Talk

Advanced search

To think this baby does look cold? <warning - judgy pants>

(120 Posts)
Pixel Thu 16-Jan-14 19:14:00

Saw this in the Mail earlier but to avoid all the don't click nonsense I've found this version.

Obviously massive over-reaction by whoever called the police, and by the police themselves, they certainly have better things to do (or should have, and the woman is right about the response you get if you get burgled or report vandalism), but can't help thinking I would never take a young child out on a prom in January wearing just a thin top like that. At the very least they'd have a warm jumper/cardi and a hat but most probably a coat and mittens and proper shoes/boots. I notice the mum has a thick cardi and boots on!

monkeysox Thu 16-Jan-14 19:17:06

Baby had bright red hands. Brrrrrrrr

katienana Thu 16-Jan-14 19:17:18

I agree. My 15 mo would be in a coat and hat. The northsea wind is bloody cold.

littlewhitebag Thu 16-Jan-14 19:18:30

But they had been in the car and the child was wanting out. I imagine she was getting restless so the mum just took her out for a toddle. If they had gone out in the car she may not have even taken a coat with her.

formerbabe Thu 16-Jan-14 19:18:46

She do

formerbabe Thu 16-Jan-14 19:19:28

She does look cold...I have no idea why you wouldn't put a coat on your child?!

Sneezecakesmum Thu 16-Jan-14 19:20:18

Not really. They were out of the car 10 minutes and the temperature was about 8 degrees so not especially cold. Mum probably hadn't intended taking her out just waiting in the car but we all know how restless toddlers get cooped up in a car!

DuckworthLewis Thu 16-Jan-14 19:21:36

If they had gone out in the car she may not have even taken a coat with her.

After getting stuck in my car in the snow last winter, I always make sure I have warm clothes with me and keep a blanket and food/water in the boot.

It is really irresponsible not to IMO.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Thu 16-Jan-14 19:22:18

I think the mum knows her baby better than us.

StrawberryTeddybear Thu 16-Jan-14 19:22:36

Why didn't she have a coat on, yet the mum had a thick cardi on?

Very strange

Bootycall Thu 16-Jan-14 19:22:41

think it was a great outcome to be honest.

member if the public was concerned about the child so called the police.. great.

police turned up to check.. great

police were satisfied that child was ok and mum was fine.. great.

what's to moan about???

Bowlersarm Thu 16-Jan-14 19:23:06

I don't think it's our business.

CrohnicallySick Thu 16-Jan-14 19:23:22

I can see why the police had to attend once it had been reported- calls about a baby's welfare must be one of their highest priorities, and who knows what information was actually given by the member of public? The police may have been expecting a child suffering from actual hypothermia or neglect as severe as some of the recent high profile cases. Can you imagine the backlash had the police not attended and something later happened to the baby?

As for what the baby was wearing, I can see that I might take my DD out of the car for a few minutes to stretch her legs without wrapping her up, but she would normally be dressed in a fleece or knitted cardi anyway, and I'd pop a hat on her. But it would only be a few minutes, and I'd be dressed in similar layers so would know when it was time to go back in.

Bootycall Thu 16-Jan-14 19:23:52

on and dad was surfing!! some families are just hardy!!

jacks365 Thu 16-Jan-14 19:24:06

You're advised not to put a coat on a child in a car. I also suspect the picture is staged so even though she looks cold in that one she might not have done when the incident occurred.

carabos Thu 16-Jan-14 19:25:29

Is this the woman who was on Jeremy Vine today? I'm assuming that the little girl is wearing the same clothes for the photoshoot as she was wearing on the day in question, but we have no way of knowing whether the conditions were the same on both occasions.

She looks a bit cold in the pic you have linked to OP, but her red nose may be her natural colouring or the result of a virus - who knows? Whatever, she doesn't look cold enough to justify a call to the police IMO.

Shelbury Thu 16-Jan-14 19:25:42

YANBU She isn't even in proper shoes, just those slipper socks. It is hard to keep them bundled up, especially if they've been in the car but the little girl does look underdressed

Iwannalaylikethisforever Thu 16-Jan-14 19:26:06

Only the perfect should judge others.
Leave the woman alone, we don't know the circumstances.
It really annoys me when people think because they wouldn't do something it must be wrong.
Maybe the little girl wouldn't put her coat on, toddlers can be strong willed at times, how are we to know?

2kidsintow Thu 16-Jan-14 19:26:22

I used to get asked a lot if my daughter was cold. My friends would tell me about her on days when my childminder had her and tell me that she was cold.

I got tutted at in the swimming pool on more than one occasion by busy bodies who assumed I didn't care about my daughter's temp.

She had urticaria and it meant that the slightest change in temp and she'd get the same red hands and face as on the little girl in the photo. She'd still tear off her gloves and socks at every opportunity and play happily.

That said, if the Mum is wearing a cardi, I'd expect her daughter to have another layer on at this time of year.

WideAwakeMum Thu 16-Jan-14 19:26:58

What on earth makes you think that photo in your link was taken at same time as the reported urmm "incident" ? Do you think the DM photographer happened to be there on t he prom at the same time? Do you think perhaps that the DM photographer went later and made sure that the photo was taken with the child wearing thin clothes? I read that on the prom the child was in a FLEECE...

TaraLott Thu 16-Jan-14 19:27:13

Load of old knob, the baby looks fine.
It's been raining here today but certainly not that cold.

The top comment on that page was vile.

sunshinemmum Thu 16-Jan-14 19:28:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QuintessentialShadows Thu 16-Jan-14 19:28:50

I do get my judgeypants on when I see adults appropriately clothed for the cold, and their babies in thin cotton t shirts. The child looks like she is freezing. Poor little girl. Why no coat and hat?

BillyNotQuiteNoMates Thu 16-Jan-14 19:29:16

The baby does look quite cold, but if she had just got out of a hot car, her face would be red. Natural reaction.

Pixel Thu 16-Jan-14 19:29:28

Perhaps my opinion is coloured by the fact that the heating doesn't work in my car and it's actually colder inside than out. It's been like that so long I forget other people have warm cars!
No on second thoughts, if I was getting my baby out of a warm car right by the seafront I'd be even more likely to pop a jacket or something on her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now