Talk

Advanced search

to almost be in tears over my smashed lipstick?

(57 Posts)
Skint79 Wed 01-Jan-14 19:53:07

I am so upset.

I owned one lipstick and it fell out my bag and smashed on the floor while I was tending to my dd.

I will now have to replace it.

Cannot believe that I am nearly 40 and only own one lipstick that costs £5.

Feel so pathetic that my life is like this. It brings me back to my childhood when jewllery/a toy/broke and I would cry my eyes out as I had so few things.

I occasionally often read the Style and Beauty posts and am amazed and jealous at just how much some of you have and your spending budget.

leobear Wed 01-Jan-14 19:55:01

Ah. YANBU. What colour was it? I have two spare Estée Lauder lipsticks I got in a set for Christmas - they don't suit my colouring. I'll send you one or both of them if you like.

MrsMoosickle Wed 01-Jan-14 19:55:54

Hello,

If it's a tube one, could you melt it a bit in the microwave then jam it back in the holder?

BigArea Wed 01-Jan-14 19:56:33

leobear you are lovely

kukeslala Wed 01-Jan-14 19:56:38

Skint- as leo says what colour was it?

tracypenisbeaker Wed 01-Jan-14 19:56:53

Can you not salvage some of it? If you have a small pot (empty eyeshadow) you could mix it with a bit of vaseline and make a tinted lipbalm?

MinesAPintOfTea Wed 01-Jan-14 19:57:43

Can you afford to replace it? Why not get two, one in your bag and one by your hairbrush? Then you've always got a spare.

Doesn't own a single lipstick

MinesAPintOfTea Wed 01-Jan-14 20:00:42

Ah, sorry I missed your user name. In that case, salvage it if you can.

Sorry about your lipstick OP, it's really sad when you lose something cherished.

MUA at Superdrug does reasonable lipsticks at £1, or at Boots yesterday I got a lovely No 7 Poppy King chunky lip crayon ( like the Clinique ones) reduced to £2.

Skint79 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:02:38

Yes I can salvage most of it.

Just feeling crap. It is hard as a woman to not have much. We are judged so much on our appearance.

I am not Caucasian so wear deep colours to suit my complexion.

Thanks for the offer.

Sunflower49 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:05:54

Do you have an old single eyeshadow pallatte/case/whatever they're called?Or anything similar?Get the lipstick, warm it slightly, jam it in and then dab it on with your finger. I do this, and I'm not skint just tight as a crab's ass
It works with lipsticks that have worn down as well, there's usually loads left even if you can no longer apply them from the stick.
And no YANBU-just 'cause something's not a life or death situation doesn't mean you're not allowed to be upset about it!

EricIsMine Wed 01-Jan-14 20:08:18

Poundland and poundworld have good branded lipsticks, Rimmel and the like. Hopefully you can pick one up which is a suitable colour

OrangePixie Wed 01-Jan-14 20:10:35

Your DD doesn't judge you on your appearance. She thinks her mummy is the bees knees, I bet smile

SaveMeTheLastGreenTriangle Wed 01-Jan-14 20:25:12

YANBU! I dropped a new bottle of Lipcote when I was between jobs and cried because I couldn't afford to replace it. I think it cost 3 quid but it might as well have been 300 at the time.

wonderstuff Wed 01-Jan-14 20:31:40

YANBU. It's horrid when stuff like that happens and money is tight.
When I was on mat leave and wanted new makeup but couldn't afford any I started doing Avon, didn't make much money, but enough to get a half decent make up bag together.

LydiasLunch Wed 01-Jan-14 20:52:51

Skint, I have this very dark plum/purple MAC lipstick that doesn't suit my colouring if you'd like it. If you would and you're in the UK pm me your address and I'm happy to pop it in the post as it's not being used. Had a few goes with it but I'm deathly pale. Can't put a photo up but I think it's called Cyber if you want to look it up. Name has come off the label.

Jacksmania Wed 01-Jan-14 20:53:40

Awwww maaaannnnnn!!! I'm so sorry, that just sucks.
Do you have Paypal? I'll buy you another one. Nobody should be that sad on New Year's Day.

((((((*HUG*))))))

ThePortlyPinUp Wed 01-Jan-14 20:55:33

Another recommendation here for the MUA £1 lipsticks smile

Prettykitty111 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:55:43

Skinny pm me your address if you want I am having a huge clearout of my stronger colours from all my cosmetic gift sets (I love make up so I get alot of it at Christmas) I'd rather someone who would get use out of it had it. I am super pale so we are opposite ends of the colour spectrum!

Prettykitty111 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:56:17

Sorry that was meant to say skint (stupid typing +wine)

Lilacroses Wed 01-Jan-14 20:57:07

Would love to help in the cosmetic drive! I am very lucky and have much more than I need.

Jacksmania Wed 01-Jan-14 20:57:10

Or would you consider a sort of shimmery deep nude pink? I have MAC Naked Paris and it looked lovely in the tube but just washes me out. If you've dark skin that could look brilliant. Let me know and I'll post it to you.

Jacksmania Wed 01-Jan-14 20:58:09

Aw, you're all fab thanks

Skint, do let us help!

TravelinColour Wed 01-Jan-14 21:01:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EdithWeston Wed 01-Jan-14 21:05:07

Wrap the remains in cling film. Beg/borrow/buy a lip brush if youndio't already have one (or try a DC's small paint brush) and you'll find it's still totally useable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now