Advanced search

To be very peeved that some bloke thinks he's entitled to park his car on my parents drive...

(61 Posts)
glossyflower Thu 26-Dec-13 19:38:25

My parents neighbour has a friend who visits and for the past year sees it acceptable to park on my parents drive.
The drive is big enough to fit 2 cars, but my parents have one car plus I visit often with my baby.
My dad was very sick and since passed away but he asked this bloke to move his car and not park there as it is private property and this bloke asked my dad if he was being racist! This bloke is Czecz - my dad has Eastern European parents himself but as he was so unwell with leukaemia he just left it at that. My mum went round, very angry that this bloke pulled the race card and told him in no uncertain terms never to park on their drive.
Well since then this bloke keeps parking there.
Tonight I had been there and nipped out for 20mins to the shops to return to this cz plate Mercedes on the drive.
I knocked on the door and politely but firmly told him to remove the car and to stop parking there. This bloke has not seen me before so he lied outright to my face and said it was his first time visiting and he didn't know where to park!
Again I reminded him it was private property. He even had the cheek to ask which was my car (parked on the road) and if I was using the drive!
He moved it, but I notice he has a council parking permit displaying his address, no tax (foreign cars need uk tax after 1 year and this bloke has been parking in the drive for more than a year now).
What can I do? What would you do? This guy does eventually move but he's slightly aggressive in his manner and he is not accepting he can't park there! I'm sure the police wouldn't be interested. I'm thinking along the lines of letting down his precious tyres. My mum is planning on getting a chain across the drive and she had been parking her car across both spaces (but annoying when I want to drop in!).
He's a horrid man and I despise how he treated my dad. I don't know if he knows that my dad has passed away but I'm worried for my mum being on her own in the house and if this bloke gets upset with us telling him to move it.

WorrySighWorrySigh Thu 26-Dec-13 20:38:59

Dob the untaxed vehicle in especially if it keeps getting dumped on your DM's drive (though you can just dob it in anyway):

We did this repeatedly when a neighbour left an untaxed vehicle parked half on the pavement blocking up a large part of a cul-de-sac.

The car was finally towed away a few days ago.

Perfectlypurple Thu 26-Dec-13 20:57:19

A foreign car has to be taxed and registered as a uk car within 6 months of it first entering the uk. He can't drive out and back in and start again.

He can drive on Czech licence for good.

34DD Thu 26-Dec-13 21:33:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StealthPolarBear Thu 26-Dec-13 21:38:49

All good advice. As a civil matter could you 'fine' him for unauthorised parking?

flatmum Thu 26-Dec-13 21:43:37

Report him to the DVLA for a start. Then block him in at every opportunity, making sure you visibly take many photos of his address on the permit and his licence plate in case he does any damage. If he does, report to 101 with his address.

This is the sensible thing to do. In personally would go round there with my DP, "accidentally" scratching the Merc with the rivets on my jeans as I went past, and scream in his face abusively until he apologised and promised not to do it again.

I presume this pair of arseholes are elderly?

ivykaty44 Thu 26-Dec-13 21:47:44

Take photograph of car and send to dvla saying it has been parking on your drive for over a year and is not yet registered....
Will not stop him being a twat but will mean they start chasing his vehicle

CerealMom Thu 26-Dec-13 21:53:07

Bollards for the drive. Ether lockable or automatic.

DirtyDancing Thu 26-Dec-13 22:18:10

And if toy get a lockable bollard, make sure you fit it when he's parked on your drive. Idiot that he is. Deserves to be locked in for a week or two.

wowfudge Thu 26-Dec-13 22:31:34

Just unbelievable behaviour from this guy. Definitely go for something robust - a lockable bollard or even fitting gates you can padlock shut would be best. I cannot understand why someone would think this is in any way acceptable - he's a bully and thinks he can do as he pleases.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Thu 26-Dec-13 23:10:01

This is something the local police would be more than happy to intervene with, once you explain he has been asked to stop on numerous occasions and is completely ignoring you. We have involved local police with a similar matter and they were fantastic- this is not a dispute or argument- this bloke is clearly in the wrong and the police should have a word. Good luck, and sorry about your Dad.

mousmous Thu 26-Dec-13 23:18:53

call the police.
if he is a resident in the uk and hasn't registered his car here also the dvla and hmrc will be interested as it's illegal.
you can report an untaxed vehicle here

VivaLeBeaver Thu 26-Dec-13 23:19:17

I'd block him in and report to the police for it been untaxed. Hopefully they'll seize it!

mousmous Thu 26-Dec-13 23:22:48

A foreign car has to be taxed and registered as a uk car within 6 months of it first entering the uk.

that has changed to 'immediately'

he might even be liable for vat.

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Thu 26-Dec-13 23:25:33

Key it.

fivegolddeblooms Thu 26-Dec-13 23:28:59


This all sounds awful, OP, and I have no advice but wanted to say I'm very sorry for the loss of your Father sad I hope you and your DM have found Christmas ok. This time of year must be difficult enough without ignorant neighbours' and their visitors making it worse.

shewhowines Thu 26-Dec-13 23:51:55

Is he parking on your private property so that he avoids being done for the no tax thing, which he might be if parked on a public road? Risking your wrath might be better than risking a fine.
Report the no tax, then ignore for a while, so there is no proof it was you and no comeback. Get bollards if it continues.

sashh Fri 27-Dec-13 07:38:30

Call 101 if he has no tax then he is also not insured.

I'd be tempted to get a wheel clamp and put a notice up saying there is a £100 fine for parking.

WorrySighWorrySigh Fri 27-Dec-13 07:45:09

Keep reporting the vehicle, it is anonymous. You can report that it is being moved (ie being driven). Also, being off road to avoid road tax only works if the vehicle is SORNed.

It is a nuisance as it is being parked on private property. Report, report, report.

Sister77 Fri 27-Dec-13 07:45:28

Sorry for your loss, life's hard enough without toasters like this making it worse! You need a couple of bruisers preferably not white (can't use the race card then) to tell him to shift.
Hate parking threads they make me irate and give me road rage!

Sister77 Fri 27-Dec-13 07:45:52

Toasters = tossers! Sorry

Mrsuncertainty Fri 27-Dec-13 08:15:32

Unbelievable cheek! Hope you get this sorted OP. I would be wary of blocking him in though in case he just rams your car, or your DMs...

Keep reporting the tax dodge though. It would be sweet to see his car being towed away! :D

Theodorous Fri 27-Dec-13 08:33:02

Cat food under the door handles, butter over the windscreen and milk through the sunroof. If that fails, torch the bloody thing.

BalloonSlayer Fri 27-Dec-13 08:33:24

Perhaps he is parking on your DM's drive because he doesn't have road tax? He thinks as long as it is not parked on the street he won't get prosecuted.

If you call 101 and say "There is a car that keeps parking on my DM's drive." they may not be interested. If you say "There is a car that keeps parking on my DM's drive, it has no tax and I think that's why he is doing it - he gets aggressive when I tell him to move it" they may be more interested - it's an "easy win" for a prosecution. ("Move your car off the lady's drive sir. Do you have any tax sir? Were you intending to drive your car without any tax sir?")

Joysmum Fri 27-Dec-13 08:43:27

We had someone block our drive. 101 were very helpful as they rang the owner who came out of the house they were visiting and apologised.

I'm sure if you rang and happened to mention the tax the police would be happy to help if it's a quiet time and that would be enough to deter him.

I certainly wouldn't be spending out buying chains or bollards etc, nor could I be bothered to use them so I'd be wasting my money.

flatmum Fri 27-Dec-13 08:49:51

You've got his address. Seriously. Send some large ethnically diverse friends round to have a word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now