Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help with info on returns to New Look in store?

(32 Posts)
Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 15-Dec-13 22:52:31

Hi, don't know whether anyone can help with this.

I bought some boots instore at New Look about two months back. Obviously, I don't have the receipt anymore because of the length of time. One of the boots has now got a hole in the bottom and is letting rain in. I paid £35 for them, which is a lot for me.

I've been on their website which says that if an item is faulty to bring it back and they'll deal with it, but that's all it says.

Has anyone got any idea whether I would be able to return my boots after two months or is that too long? Is two months acceptable for them to be worn through on the bottom? I've not been mountain climbing or hiking in them, just general daily walking. I honestly don't know if I'm being daft expecting them to last longer, but the heels are hardly worn out at all.

Is it worth me going in store with them or will they laugh at me?

Has anyone had any experience with New Look previously so that they can advise me?

Sorry for posting here, but wanted traffic.

But you could tell me if you think I'm BU for wanting to return my boots after two months grin

TheDetective Sun 15-Dec-13 22:54:01

I'd return them. smile

I've not returned faulty products without a receipt to NL, but I shouldn't imagine you would have too much of a problem?

If you paid by card a bank statement showing the transaction is enough.

chocolatespiders Sun 15-Dec-13 22:55:28

That is not acceptable fair wear and tear. take them back

WeAreEternal Sun 15-Dec-13 23:01:24

I would expect them to last longer than two months.
definitely return them.

Can you take a bank statement or something to show when you bought them?

bdbfan Sun 15-Dec-13 23:08:16

I've had exactly the same problem with new look boots. Was looking for receipt to return. Are yours mid calf with a buckle?

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 15-Dec-13 23:10:01

I paid cash sad

But they haven't been doing winter boots for that long...have they?

Surely the state of the heels will show that I haven't had them for that long.

I should know better. I bought a pair from them three years ago and the same thing happened. That time I went and paid for them to be re-soled at Timpson's - so that was another £20 on top of the price of the boots I'd already paid. The soles looked thicker and sturdier this time round though, so I thought I'd be ok.

Glad I'm not BU though grin

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 15-Dec-13 23:12:32

bdbfan

Yes shock. I got the brown ones, but I think they had them in black too.

The thing is, without a receipt they're going to offer either a replacement or store credit, aren't they? I don't want either - they're a bit shit, really, aren't they, if things don't last? I want my money back and will put it towards a decent pair from Clarks or somewhere (I still have a pair of Clarks boots from 8 years ago that are still going strong).

Have I got much chance? Should I just stand there and argue with them (politely, obviously) until I get my money back?

bdbfan Sun 15-Dec-13 23:14:49

I would guess that there's a fault with them as we both found them to be rubbish, so probably more people have taken them back too so maybe they won't argue too much.

chocolatespiders Sun 15-Dec-13 23:16:31

I think if faulty and not fit for purpose you are entitled to cash, or tell them you paid on card and get it put back into bank?

piratecat Sun 15-Dec-13 23:17:10

another thing, they have a big sale on atm, and without proof of purchase you will prob only get offered the sale price in voucher/credit. damn

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 15-Dec-13 23:19:18

Would this be classed as faulty and not fit for purpose then? That was my thinking too, but there's bugger all on their website about it.

bdbfan - I hope there's not a problem with getting my money back now!

BigChocolateOrange Sun 15-Dec-13 23:19:39

I don't have experience with NL themselves but I have found with other stores that if you email their customer services first explaining the situation, they'll nearly always say that you can take them back for a refund. I make sure I take the email as back up and then if there's an issue then you can produce it and they'll sort it. When I go into the store I tend to start by saying that I've contacted customer services and they advised me to come in, and I've never had an issue returning anything.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 15-Dec-13 23:19:48

If an item isn't fit for purpose you're entitled to a full refund. They can't fob you off with an exchange or credit note. This is your statutory right.

Martin Lewis has some great info on consumer rights but I can't find and link them as I need to settle the baby to sleep.

Your rights for returning faulty goods are clear when an item is not fit for purpose. You shouldn't even need to argue with them - boots ought to last longer than two months, therefore these are not of suitable quality for the purpose for which they are sold!

bdbfan Sun 15-Dec-13 23:25:00

I would guess that there's a fault with them as we both found them to be rubbish, so probably more people have taken them back too so maybe they won't argue too much.

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 15-Dec-13 23:25:41

I would email them. I did look into that earlier, but they wouldn't get back to me quick enough.

The sole split today, I'm assuming, because I got a wet foot coming back from Tesco, and no problems yesterday. I need to replace them tomorrow because my only other shoes (pumps) also have a hole in them and as the school run is now walking (only five minutes, but still) I need dry footwear ASAP.

Blardy hell, how 'woe is me' does my footwear situation sound confused

TSSDNCOP Sun 15-Dec-13 23:26:00

Do not take them into store. Their hands are tied by the fact you have no receipt and you've worn the boots.

But you need to act fast as its sale time and you want to get the full sale price refunded.

Contact HO and send an email photo of the boots. Can you remember roughly the date you bought them? Even if you paid cash they will have an electronic record of the transaction.

You simply argue the boots are not fit for purpose. They are only 2 months old and are falling apart, surely even NL prices don't expect that.

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 15-Dec-13 23:27:18

Martin Lewis has some great info on consumer rights but I can't find and link them as I need to settle the baby to sleep.

Well, how very selfish of you and your baby grin Can you not explain to your baby that sleep needs to wait while we sort out my boots conundrum? I'm sure baby will understand.

TyneTeas Sun 15-Dec-13 23:27:21

Martin Lewis link: www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

(I once had a shop try to refuse a refund on some boots with shredded linings after three days because the damage was caused because I had been putting my feet in and out of them...!)

Good Luck!

LeonardWentToTheOfficeChristma Sun 15-Dec-13 23:28:02

I don't know where you stand without proof of purchase though. Yes if you had a receipt I think the amount of time you've had them would entitle you to a refund, not replacement or credit note as they're faulty.

Without receipt you may be relying on the shop's goodwill.

(I keep receipts for everything, until they're so faded I can't actually read them)

TSSDNCOP Sun 15-Dec-13 23:29:05

If you know the store you went to, the date, roughly the time and the amount you can find a transaction in seconds at HO OP.

If you pop out an email tonight you should get a reply tomorrow.

Runwayqueen Sun 15-Dec-13 23:31:04

I took faulty boots back to new look this week. They had them in stock still but didn't want to chance the same happening again. Was refused a refund as I didn't have a receipt. Ended up with an exchange for a different type of boot. Was clearly told a refund was not an option hmm

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 15-Dec-13 23:31:40

Just found this on that (fabulous) link to Martin Lewis:

When goods are faulty, if you return them within six months then it's up to the shop to prove they weren't faulty when you bought them. After this, the burden of proof shifts and it's up to you to prove they were faulty when you bought them.

So surely this covers me? It's the law!

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 15-Dec-13 23:34:48

This was about having to accept credit notes:

if the goods are faulty (ie, they break the Sad Fart rules) then your statutory rights override the store's policy. Provided you take it back in time (see act as soon as possible) you have a right to a full refund.

EmmaFreudsGivingMeJip Sun 15-Dec-13 23:43:17

I recently took a top back to new look as after I'd worn it once and washed it it started to fall apart at the seams! I didn't have the receipt or proof of purchase as I'd paid cash but they were still stocking the item so knew how much it cost. The girl on the till didn't want to give me a refund so I asked to speak to the manager and I explained to her that the product is clearly not fit for purpose, she was very nice and gave me a cash refund.
I would give it a go, tell them how dissapointed you are with their product.

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 15-Dec-13 23:48:53

I'm definitely going in there tomorrow, especially after reading the stuff on Martin Lewis' website.

Will report back and let you know how I got on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now