Advanced search

to ask if anyone knows what could be wrong with my eye?

(17 Posts)
ExcitedEmmy Fri 29-Nov-13 23:29:00

I know this is a rubbish AIBU but I'm in so much pain and my doctors appointment is over a weekaway.

One of my eeyes feels as though I have been punched. The bone around it feels bruised and it hurts to move my eyeball and even to blink. It feels dry and like it's boiling hot. There's no physical sign of anything wrong but the pain has been constant or worsening for over a week now and the thought of waiting another week for it to stop is making me want to scream. If anyone has any ideas I would be eternally grateful

Joysmum Fri 29-Nov-13 23:30:19

Tbh I'd be off to your local minor injuries unit or going to the triage nurse at you GPs

Binkyridesagain Fri 29-Nov-13 23:32:26

It could be episcleritis.

WorraLiberty Fri 29-Nov-13 23:32:54

I agree with Joysmum. Do you have a local walk-in unit?

If not, I'd ask your local Pharmacist to take a look.

AgentZigzag Fri 29-Nov-13 23:33:14


Have you tried flushing it through with sterile salt water?

(not a doctor or anything like it, it's just what I'd do, of course go to the profs if you think it's that bad)

TheLostPelvicFloorOfPoosh Fri 29-Nov-13 23:33:53

Agree with Joysmum - that needs seeing right away.

timidviper Fri 29-Nov-13 23:37:02

My understanding with eyes is that anything causing pain or disturbing vision needs to be seen by a dr. Your eyes are very precious and, personally, I would not take a chance so I would go to out of hours or ring 111 or whatever it is now

beals692 Fri 29-Nov-13 23:40:55

Maybe go to an opticians and ask them to take a look at it? They examine eye health as well as doing the usual sight tests. I think they can make referrals as well if they spot a problem.

ExcitedEmmy Fri 29-Nov-13 23:42:42

There's nothing to see for a pharmacist to take a look really. Have tried flushing it but to no avail. The eyelid feels slightly swollen but doesn't look it. Will try NHS direct tomorrow I think as it's getting so much worse. But in the meantime any other solutions would be gratefully received

Iamsparklyknickers Fri 29-Nov-13 23:48:07

Seconding Excited Emmy.

Go to an opticians - they'll refer you on and they can use all their super dooper equipment (that your GP, walk in and A&E won't have) to have a good look.

It'll be much, much quicker than trying to get anyone else to look at it and if they you refer you in any pathway you get put on will have much better info to go on.

Sauvignonandstuff Fri 29-Nov-13 23:50:03

Hi, I am an Optician. Do not wait to see a GP, either make an appointment to see an Optician in the morning or go straight to your nearest eye clinic at a hospital and join the queue .The Optician will have specialist equipment that the GP won't and will either be able to reassure you or refer you. If you are referred with a letter/ telephone call you will be seen quicker. The Optician may charge for seeing you. The large percentage presenting with the symptoms you describe will leave reassured but best to rule out infection/ pathology etc. Hope this helps.

ExcitedEmmy Sat 30-Nov-13 00:06:25

Thank you. It's really stinging to keep open now - feels like I have shampoo or something in it. Will try and see the optician tomorrow

trashcanjunkie Sat 30-Nov-13 02:32:33

good luck

MusicalEndorphins Sat 30-Nov-13 10:39:37

You poor thing, eye pain is horrible. I agree, Optician is the one to go to and right away. They have the proper equipment and training to diagnosis and treat your eye much better than a regular doctor. I have been troubled with adhesion's on both eyes and use drops and an ointment daily. They will also numb your eye with drops, which will be a huge relief to you. I had no idea until I had eye trouble, but Opticians are the experts and do eye surgery and everything! Hope it will be taken care of quickly, oh, when mine first began to cause pain, I did go to the ER, as it was at night, and they got me into an optician the next day.
I get relief by soaking wash cloth in hot water, wringing it out and laying with it over my closed eyes.

And try and keep off the pc, it dries your eyes out. You may find wearing sunglasses, and dimming the lights helps. Also keep your hair off your face and don't use any products in your hair near your face, or lotions or make up on your forehead or eye area. They may run into your eyes. Try and avoid drafts and fans.... (you become super sensitive to these things with eye pain)
Good luck.

MusicalEndorphins Sat 30-Nov-13 10:45:56

I forgot to mention, the ER doctors couldn't see anything actually wrong. My eye had stabbing pain and felt like there was something in it, stabbing and irritating it, and it was running non stop. However, the eye doctor I saw in his office the next day saw right away that I had adhesion's on both eyes. He put numbing drops in first, then a medical contact lens on my eye, which was great! It protects your eye as it heals, basically, it is an "eye band-aid". Let us know how you make out at the doctor.

whatever5 Sat 30-Nov-13 10:47:09

Is your vision affected at all? It won't hurt to see and optician although obviously it will cost you money. I personally found opticians (three) to be pretty useless when I had problems with my eye a few years ago. They all told me to go to the GP for a referral to an opthalmologist.

Can't you get an emergency appointment with a GP? You shouldn't take any chances with your eyes.

Pigsmummy Sat 30-Nov-13 12:47:31

Optician defo. I saw them when I couldn't get into see a GP and I have a serious problem, optician can refer to eye hospital too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now