Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if I'm allowed to shop in Waitrose?

(202 Posts)
ohmymimi Mon 18-Nov-13 14:30:47

One is opening nearby. I'm probably slightly lower middle class, I have ordered on-line from John Lewis, though, and I've never shopped in my pyjamas without a jumper and jeans on top.

grumpyoldbat Tue 19-Nov-13 08:27:03

Never been to Waitrose. Our nearest is about 30miles away. I'll stick to Lidl, being underclass I'll not be welcome.

Inglori0us Tue 19-Nov-13 09:30:09

I love Waitrose but my DH says we're not Waitrose People. As a result I hide my delicious contraband and eat it in secret while he has the Tesco stuff.

ProfPlumSpeaking Tue 19-Nov-13 09:31:57

Yes, but only their Essentials range wink

ohmymimi Tue 19-Nov-13 09:57:59

Justmyview - where can I get a man with rhubarb cords? I live v near the Cotswolds, so have seen a few about - can you rent one by the hour?

Melonbreath Tue 19-Nov-13 09:59:38

Yabu.
You are clearly an oik. It drives me mad the riff raff that's cluttering up my favourite naice supermarket. Now if you'll excuse me I need to stock up on diamond studded potatoes and swan burgers.

hoity toitelly walks away from thread with snooty nose in air and haughty face

ohmymimi Tue 19-Nov-13 10:13:43

Melon - Excuse me, I'm 55 percent oik, I've done the test and I'm posh from the waist up ( true because my fanjolina has been around and once had an encounter with a manual worker).

nancerama Tue 19-Nov-13 11:27:42

Nothing wrong with the essentials range. Any shop that defines chocolate eclair as an essential is the shop for me.

Punkatheart Tue 19-Nov-13 13:10:37

I love the idea of Waitrose as a dirty little secret. wink

gotthemoononastick Tue 19-Nov-13 13:29:51

I am a slow classless(because I am forrin ) old lady who can do whatever I want, whenever I want!

I go specially to see the little fairies in tutus,wings and wellies that Mrs de Vere describes so well.Love the little boys with dirty knees in the above.They speak beautifully and help!

And the baked cheesecake!

GhostsInSnow Tue 19-Nov-13 13:54:44

Ooh I love Waitrose. Our city is classed as 'not fitting their demographic' though so the nearest one is 20 miles away and I have to make do with Ocado.

DH took me out for the day last year for my birthday, he asked me if there was anywhere specific I wanted to go, I replied 'Waitrose!'. He thought I was joking....I wasn't. Had a great time fact finding for naice foods to order from Ocado including the amazing essentials mandarin cheesecake which is a little slice of heaven.

I'm 39% Posh, I fear my Barbour Jacket (donkeys years old) and Hunter Wellies (won in a competition) let me down.

Honeychild54 Tue 20-Jun-17 17:46:21

Or was it 'you should of (sic) got out my way'? B-)

AfunaMbatata Tue 20-Jun-17 17:47:53

Why would you resurrect a zombie thread to comment that?!

AfunaMbatata Tue 20-Jun-17 17:48:54

Just read the fucking dates at the side of posts! angry

hellokittymania Tue 20-Jun-17 17:56:06

Are use Waitrose, they are fantastic with me. I am visually impaired and often don't even need to ask for help before someone, even with a customer, will ask me if they can assist.

I know we're on most things are, so don't often need assistance except if I am taking something out of the ordinary that I don't usually buy or I'm trying to pick up a doughnut or something. I have asked my PA to show me how to do this though, as well as use the self check out. If I only have one or two items, I think I can manage it on my own if someone shows me how.

SunshinePop Tue 20-Jun-17 18:04:27

Waitrose is lovely

yomellamoHelly Tue 20-Jun-17 18:06:35

27% and as ordinary as cardboard! Charming. But we do shop in Waitrose for lovely things to eat. [lazy emoticon]

AfunaMbatata Tue 20-Jun-17 18:08:13

wine

ssd Tue 20-Jun-17 18:20:10

I'm 15% posh

bloody hell

and I dont care if it s a zombie thread I still enjoyed reading it

AfunaMbatata Tue 20-Jun-17 18:25:13

Meh.

DonkeyOaty Tue 20-Jun-17 18:31:36

Yeah yeah Zombie 'n' all that shizzle but I'd take Booths over anywhere else.

JustDanceAddict Tue 20-Jun-17 18:33:30

Love Waitrose - get a Waitrose card for free coffee & paper!

SafeToCross Tue 20-Jun-17 18:42:50

Only 41%? I think the dds and dh must be dragging me down, cos I went to private school AND pony club. But I do heart Morrison's online, the-unposh version of Ocado.

RoseVase2010 Tue 20-Jun-17 18:43:15

I went in my PJs once, about 12 years ago. It was the closest shop to my house and I had a hangover than needed orange juice.

Luckily I have fancy PJs 😂😂

LakieLady Tue 20-Jun-17 18:44:22

Fuck me, 55% posh and I grew up on the roughest council estate in Croydon. It must be true what they say about grammar schools increasing social mobility.

I shop in Waitrose (and Tesco, and Sainsbury and Aldi) because I can park there for free, walk round the corner to Waterstones and get a free coffee and newspaper (not tabloid, of course) when I buy a few bits in Waitrose.

I do chuckle sometimes at the things I overhear in there though. Last weekend it was "No Phoebe, we can't have grapes until the Spanish ones are in season. Those are from Brazil, and can you remember why we don't buy things from Brazil ... that's right, they chop down the rainforest, don't they." I snorted with laughter, thus betraying my lower-class origins.

LakieLady Tue 20-Jun-17 18:51:56

I receive plenty of tuts on account of my orange hair, odd dress sense, spirited bloody noisy 1 year old and occasional loud parenting slip ups along the lines of 'Ooh, gin! Mummy needs gin!'

They wouldn't tut you in my local Waitrose, that's pretty normal for where I live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now