Advanced search

AIBU to wanna call social services on neighbour??

(36 Posts)
HankEpankie Fri 15-Nov-13 00:11:41

I've got this delightful neighbour who has one ds around 2/3 years old.

Now I appreciate that everyone is entitled to parent in their own way and i hate gettin involved in other ppls business etc but sometimes it's necessary ( I mean we r talking about a child) ...Her behaviour makes my blood boil..

Firstly, she is always screaming at the kid, not just normal tellin off I mean callin him a c* , tellin him to f off etc at the top of her lungs, day in day out - so loud I can hear every word through my walls (and he's only little) hmm

She also smokes weed - in and around her house and I've actually been walking past before and she's been on the doorstep with him on her lap while she's smoking a joint!!

She's forever arguing with her latest boyfriend /playing very loud music until all hours most nights even though she has a baby in the house- police are always getting called there for whatever reason

The first time I ever met her ws when she knocked at mine with her ds askin if I had a cigarette- when I said no, she asked me to hold him for a sec while she knocked at the other neighbours houses confused and I kid u not
She did not come bk for about 4 hours!!!!! She had no idea who I was, and she just left her kid with me without even askin if it was ok - when she finally came bk she was drunk and said she got chattin to a neighbour and had "a few brandys" - no apologies nothin shock

Then again tonight the police were at hers cos she left her ds in the house & ws outside arguin with her bf and she managed to lock herself out! And ds ws inside scared and screaming cos he ws on his own!!!!

What the actual fuck!?? Should I just call them,? I am really concerned about this child, I can't just stand back and watch him be abused and treated this way!

lagoonhaze Mon 18-Nov-13 19:14:49

LaGuardia- im assuming you have rang reports in on each and every occasion too then?

diagnosticnomansland Mon 18-Nov-13 16:45:08

Call SS.

theimposter Mon 18-Nov-13 16:45:03

No idea re SS but I'd be amazed if the RSPCA do anything to help unless a camera crew is in tow. I rescued an animal this weekend and they are the last charity I would have called after their non help last time I picked up a stray. H

Purple2012 Mon 18-Nov-13 16:36:28

SS probably are aware but it always helps to have more reports. I reported a neighbour for very similar. 2 kids, constantly heard her shouting things like 'get away from me you little twat'. DV issues too. And this neighbour wasn't next door. I could hear it across the road and several doors down.

LaGuardia Mon 18-Nov-13 16:11:55

You would be surprised what SS let parents get away with. My sis is also a neglectful mother - alcoholic, drugs, random blokes. She has been arrested for assaulting a police officer when she was barred from a pub. Someone called SS on her, and, because they found food in her fridge, they left DS there. The school also told them the DS was always on time for school and clean and tidy. The fact that he is bringing himself up doesn't seem to bother them.

isitme1 Mon 18-Nov-13 14:16:16

How is the boy

isitme1 Fri 15-Nov-13 12:23:40

Sorry phone stopped working hmm
I was going to say never mind a stranger.
You did the right thing by the boy

PeterParkerSays Fri 15-Nov-13 12:12:16

There are proven links between adults who mistreat animals, and their behaviour towards their children. Report to SS and RSPCA and keep doing so when you have cause for concern, the two will help back up her pattern of poor behaviour.

expatinscotland Fri 15-Nov-13 11:58:54

Call them.

isitme1 Fri 15-Nov-13 11:58:52

Aww poor boy.
I hate telling ds off if hes done something wrong
Wont leave him with family for that long never m

littlewhitebag Fri 15-Nov-13 11:56:39

If the police have been involved then the likelihood is that SS are aware of this family as they usually submit a report to SS when there is a child in the house.

However that should not stop you calling SS to pass on your concerns as they usually need to build up a picture over time of what is going on in the family. A number of concerns about the same things over a short period will be a flag to do a visit and maybe initiate other safeguarding procedures.

lardydahdydah Fri 15-Nov-13 11:52:09

thank you for calling them, but keep calling with each new problem.

i have and would continue to do so.

my justification is always... you are an adult you can deal with me if i am wrong. they are a child, i never want a kid saying to me... why didnt you DO something?

KitZacJak Fri 15-Nov-13 11:45:42

Well done for calling and please keep calling every time something happens.

theyoniwayisnorthwards Fri 15-Nov-13 11:38:17

Even if they already know the LA will have to build a case to convince a judge to grant a care order if that is what the child needs. (Now or in the future). Your phone call provides further evidence and helps them out together a better picture of the risks to the child. Always always call if you are worried about a child.

Babyroobs Fri 15-Nov-13 11:33:53

I wouldn't hesitate to call ss, poor child.

Collaborate Fri 15-Nov-13 10:20:33

You'll notice the police calling but SS don't advertise their presence.

Do speak to them though. You may be able to give them information they don't already have. They will respect your confidentiality.

StrawberryGashes Fri 15-Nov-13 10:06:03

im shocked at the amount of people saying 'I'm sure SS already know'

Nobody is saying don't call them, plenty of people have said call them as well if you have concerns, but it is just being pointed out that the police report to SS if a child is involved in a domestic.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 15-Nov-13 09:49:27

Well done for calling. What a horrid horrid mother. I hope they take the kid and the dog and put them in loving homes sad

NotYoMomma Fri 15-Nov-13 09:49:20

im shocked at the amount of people saying 'I'm sure SS already know'

errr it's attitudes like that that mean children fall through cracks sad

you must call OP even if they do know, you must call

ocelot41 Fri 15-Nov-13 09:45:49

Good on you, OP. I know (now happily adopted) children who were neglected - it does them a lot of harm so you are right to report.

Poor kid and poor you having to live next door to this too

HankEpankie Fri 15-Nov-13 08:02:42

I called the out of hours service just after posting this thread - the lady was really helpful - obviously they couldnt tell me if she was already known to them but she did say there are definite grounds for a spot check visit -hopefully they are sending someone around soon

I'm also going to call the RSPCA for that poor dog once offices are open!

wherethewildthingis Fri 15-Nov-13 07:52:12

I hope you have already called social care but if not, please do. They will have an out of hours service so you don't need to wait for office hours.

pumpkinsweetie Fri 15-Nov-13 07:36:52

What scum, poor little boy!
I would phone them

Dolallytats Fri 15-Nov-13 07:32:56

Call them. I had to call them on my neighbour and what she was doing was nowhere near as bad as what you are describing. My neighbour would scream almost continuously at her children, although the eldest used to cop it more (that's how I learnt her name sad).

It seems to have calmed down now, although she does still do it.

baskingseals Fri 15-Nov-13 07:18:58

You are doing the right thing by calling them. You could also call the NSPC for advice as well, they are there to help you.

I am so sorry for this little boy, please call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now