Advanced search

AIBU to wanna call social services on neighbour??

(36 Posts)
HankEpankie Fri 15-Nov-13 00:11:41

I've got this delightful neighbour who has one ds around 2/3 years old.

Now I appreciate that everyone is entitled to parent in their own way and i hate gettin involved in other ppls business etc but sometimes it's necessary ( I mean we r talking about a child) ...Her behaviour makes my blood boil..

Firstly, she is always screaming at the kid, not just normal tellin off I mean callin him a c* , tellin him to f off etc at the top of her lungs, day in day out - so loud I can hear every word through my walls (and he's only little) hmm

She also smokes weed - in and around her house and I've actually been walking past before and she's been on the doorstep with him on her lap while she's smoking a joint!!

She's forever arguing with her latest boyfriend /playing very loud music until all hours most nights even though she has a baby in the house- police are always getting called there for whatever reason

The first time I ever met her ws when she knocked at mine with her ds askin if I had a cigarette- when I said no, she asked me to hold him for a sec while she knocked at the other neighbours houses confused and I kid u not
She did not come bk for about 4 hours!!!!! She had no idea who I was, and she just left her kid with me without even askin if it was ok - when she finally came bk she was drunk and said she got chattin to a neighbour and had "a few brandys" - no apologies nothin shock

Then again tonight the police were at hers cos she left her ds in the house & ws outside arguin with her bf and she managed to lock herself out! And ds ws inside scared and screaming cos he ws on his own!!!!

What the actual fuck!?? Should I just call them,? I am really concerned about this child, I can't just stand back and watch him be abused and treated this way!

lessonsintightropes Fri 15-Nov-13 00:13:54

Disengage, call SS and the police if she pulls the same stunt again.

lagoonhaze Fri 15-Nov-13 00:14:09

just call them tomorrow and follow up with phone call on every further concern

Canthisonebeused Fri 15-Nov-13 00:16:23

Call social services though I'm pretty sceptical that police involvement to this scale has not alerted any kind of safeguarding alerts.

HankEpankie Fri 15-Nov-13 00:39:24

I am also suprised that police haven't followed up ...but in the area i live in they seem to be used to this kinda thing and dont really take much action hmm

I've had to call them on a number of occasions and I'm not the only one, I know she has had several visits from the council regarding her behaviour but they r useless they just give her warning after warning about breaching her tenancy but don't actually follow through ..

She's even had the RSPCA round loads of times cos she also has a dog that she treats appallingly !!

I'm just gonna call them tomorrow - I feel it really is affecting him, everytime I see him he looks miserable and the weirdest thing is he doesn't speak - not in a shy way, i dont
think he can actually say any words hmm for a 3 yr old that's not right!!

OralB Fri 15-Nov-13 00:50:38

Call them. Poor boy

salsmum Fri 15-Nov-13 01:50:12

I would say call SS AND the RSPCA...I would rather be a possible 'saviour' to that poor child than look the other way and wait for the worse sad. please do update us x

ohms11 Fri 15-Nov-13 02:33:01

I would say you must call them. She may not be able to keep her child safe and meet his needs when smoking cannabis and drinking. She may be neglecting him. She is definitely emotionally abusing him. In my area that would be grounds for his name going on the child protection register.

StrawberryGashes Fri 15-Nov-13 02:34:14

If the police have been called for domestic issues while he's been there then SS will have been notified, she maybe just hasn't told you, but call them if you have concerns.

BodaciousTatas Fri 15-Nov-13 06:47:17

SS will be aware as police report all incidences involving a child I would however call and have a word with them anyway as they may be unaware of this other information.

mewmeow Fri 15-Nov-13 07:14:20

Like others have said, im sure the ss must already be aware by now after all those police visits. You do what you think is right though if not convinced.

baskingseals Fri 15-Nov-13 07:18:58

You are doing the right thing by calling them. You could also call the NSPC for advice as well, they are there to help you.

I am so sorry for this little boy, please call.

Dolallytats Fri 15-Nov-13 07:32:56

Call them. I had to call them on my neighbour and what she was doing was nowhere near as bad as what you are describing. My neighbour would scream almost continuously at her children, although the eldest used to cop it more (that's how I learnt her name sad).

It seems to have calmed down now, although she does still do it.

pumpkinsweetie Fri 15-Nov-13 07:36:52

What scum, poor little boy!
I would phone them

wherethewildthingis Fri 15-Nov-13 07:52:12

I hope you have already called social care but if not, please do. They will have an out of hours service so you don't need to wait for office hours.

HankEpankie Fri 15-Nov-13 08:02:42

I called the out of hours service just after posting this thread - the lady was really helpful - obviously they couldnt tell me if she was already known to them but she did say there are definite grounds for a spot check visit -hopefully they are sending someone around soon

I'm also going to call the RSPCA for that poor dog once offices are open!

ocelot41 Fri 15-Nov-13 09:45:49

Good on you, OP. I know (now happily adopted) children who were neglected - it does them a lot of harm so you are right to report.

Poor kid and poor you having to live next door to this too

NotYoMomma Fri 15-Nov-13 09:49:20

im shocked at the amount of people saying 'I'm sure SS already know'

errr it's attitudes like that that mean children fall through cracks sad

you must call OP even if they do know, you must call

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 15-Nov-13 09:49:27

Well done for calling. What a horrid horrid mother. I hope they take the kid and the dog and put them in loving homes sad

StrawberryGashes Fri 15-Nov-13 10:06:03

im shocked at the amount of people saying 'I'm sure SS already know'

Nobody is saying don't call them, plenty of people have said call them as well if you have concerns, but it is just being pointed out that the police report to SS if a child is involved in a domestic.

Collaborate Fri 15-Nov-13 10:20:33

You'll notice the police calling but SS don't advertise their presence.

Do speak to them though. You may be able to give them information they don't already have. They will respect your confidentiality.

Babyroobs Fri 15-Nov-13 11:33:53

I wouldn't hesitate to call ss, poor child.

theyoniwayisnorthwards Fri 15-Nov-13 11:38:17

Even if they already know the LA will have to build a case to convince a judge to grant a care order if that is what the child needs. (Now or in the future). Your phone call provides further evidence and helps them out together a better picture of the risks to the child. Always always call if you are worried about a child.

KitZacJak Fri 15-Nov-13 11:45:42

Well done for calling and please keep calling every time something happens.

lardydahdydah Fri 15-Nov-13 11:52:09

thank you for calling them, but keep calling with each new problem.

i have and would continue to do so.

my justification is always... you are an adult you can deal with me if i am wrong. they are a child, i never want a kid saying to me... why didnt you DO something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now