Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed about this salary...

(87 Posts)
damejudydench Tue 22-Oct-13 22:34:16

I was approached by an agency today for a short term PA role. Job is for a FTSE 250 supporting the CEO, CFO and management team just outside London. It looks like a full on role and I have a LOT of experience at that level.

Salary is £22k.

I have just looked at the company's Annual Report and the top three directors earn a total in excess of £5m (including pensions and incentives).

I'm wondering just how much bigger the pay gap is going to get.

ShakeRattleNRoll Tue 22-Oct-13 22:35:44

sounds fair to me (not)

ShakeRattleNRoll Tue 22-Oct-13 22:36:34

tell em to stick their job where the sun dont shine

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Tue 22-Oct-13 22:36:43

Farkin 'ell. I used to get not far off that as a temp PA (definitely NOT for CEO of FTSE 250) back in 1999. And I was frankly rubbish.

How depressing - I would have thought that sort of role would be in the £40-£50k bracket.

FreudiansSlipper Tue 22-Oct-13 22:38:55

sounds standard to me sad

wages for admin type roles have not increased in the last 5 years those in more senior roles for many have. and what happened to the cap on bonuses, oh yes the government cut the tax rate

SeaSickSal Tue 22-Oct-13 22:40:36

May not be the company at fault but the agency.

Probably is tbh. Company will offer the agency something like £20ph to get them a PA and the agency will chance their arm they can pay £12ph and cream off £8 an hour themselves.

They will end up with someone shit and look bad. Really for a short term role they should offer a bit more than the going rate for a perm, not less. They won't get a decent temp for that money.

damejudydench Tue 22-Oct-13 22:41:38

Tondelay, I was earning £22k in 2001 as PA to the MD of a tin pot family owned company with just over 100 staff.

Workloads have probably quadrupled in that time as there are so few PAs and Administrators.

ShakeRattleNRoll Tue 22-Oct-13 22:42:36

tell them if you shoved the broom up your back side you could sweep the floor at the same time rofl

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Tue 22-Oct-13 22:43:40

They probably want a 21 year old out of university dolly bird who doesn't complain and doesn't have many options. skeptical moi

FreudiansSlipper Tue 22-Oct-13 22:44:09

i was earning over double that a few years ago in the city

when i occasionally look, if anything wages for pa's have dropped. my friend has recently taken on a similar role and gets less than i did. a few will earn a higher wage (some great 70k+)

could you travel into central london to earn more

Sleepingbunnies Tue 22-Oct-13 22:45:52

I work as a PA to a partner in a big 4 firm and wouldn't get out if bed for that salary. They are taking the piss.

damejudydench Tue 22-Oct-13 22:46:25

Well, I've seen 21 year old dolly birds do a lot of damage...

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Tue 22-Oct-13 22:47:13

Different role but I'm currently recruiting for a manager in my team and the salary HR have approved is the same as when I was in that role in 2003. hmm

emsyj Tue 22-Oct-13 22:48:09

My trainee PA was paid more than double that when I worked in the City 5 years ago. She was nice, but not very good. I would imagine an experienced and skilled PA would get paid substantially more than £22k in London and surrounds, at least if the company valued them and expected them to stick around.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Tue 22-Oct-13 22:48:36

Yeah, me too me for example. I really was an APPALLING PA

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Tue 22-Oct-13 22:49:08

That was to Dame Judy btw.

ShakeRattleNRoll Tue 22-Oct-13 22:49:47

tell them your from poland and you will do it for half price

FreudiansSlipper Tue 22-Oct-13 22:51:21

i was too a really crap pa

the only reason they thought i was good was the md had never had a pa before, he thought i was great as i spent half my time sorting out his personal stuff

3asAbird Tue 22-Oct-13 22:51:49

I think mot wages are stagnating as its employers market these days so many cheap graduates so cutting corners. I think you should send back response worth more, done my reseach and you taking the piss.

damejudydench Tue 22-Oct-13 22:52:26

Ah yes, I could also wear a short skirt and high heels to the interview... and pout of course...

ShakeRattleNRoll Tue 22-Oct-13 22:53:24

tell em you wouldn't even do voluntary work without getting paid

ShakeRattleNRoll Tue 22-Oct-13 22:54:19

tell em you would rather be a toilet cleaner in new delhi

Isabelonatricycle Tue 22-Oct-13 22:55:20

Even if you ignore what the three directors recieve, that is completely ridiculous. (Though as SeaSickSal said, it may be the agency rather than the company). I expect to be paid considerably more than that. I know there are lots of graduates around, but you have the experience and for the role (working for the CEO/CFO etc!) they need someone like you.

drawsofdrawers Tue 22-Oct-13 22:59:03

Go for the interview, be amazing and when they offer it to you negotiate.

ShakeRattleNRoll Tue 22-Oct-13 23:00:04

tell em you would earn more in a sweat shop in bangladesh

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: