Advanced search

to think DH made an expensive mistake??

(93 Posts)
TheAngryCheeseCracker Thu 17-Oct-13 13:12:31

I have driven for over 10 years, DH learned a year ago. We now have 2 cars, I am the policy holder of insurance for both cars, he is the named driver for his car.

He bumped into another car, very lightly, yesterday. His fault. No damage to our car, other car has a small dent in bumper.

DH then got insurance involved, and they are paying the damage (not expensive).

AIBU tot hink DH should have settled this without insurance? I have lost my no-claims discount....was paying only £300 on insurance a year. I think in the long run this was a stupid and expensive decision?!

5Foot5 Thu 17-Oct-13 13:14:50

Probably was. But of more concern might be that you could be misleading the insurance company if they think you are the main driver of the car and he is just an occasional driver

LunaticFringe Thu 17-Oct-13 13:16:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovesooty Thu 17-Oct-13 13:16:14

If I were the other driver I'd insist on going through insurance.

annabelcaramel Thu 17-Oct-13 13:16:46

Have you got protected no claims? You might be ok.

Beastofburden Thu 17-Oct-13 13:18:38

I guess he is on your policy as it was cheaper, as he is not an experienced driver, and you are? and having separate policies would have cost more?

This is kind of the other side of that coin. He is a less experienced driver than you, and he is more likely to have an accident. You got a cheaper insurance price because you agreed to share that risk with the insurer. They give you a cheaper price when you stick a new driver on an old driver's policy - but not because they somehow haven't noticed you do that. It's because if he screws up they make their money back on your NCD, or on you insuring your NCD.

Maybe in this case, as it was a small bit of damage, he could have paid for it on the side. But anything bigger, you would have had no option.

dexter73 Thu 17-Oct-13 13:18:53

I would also always go through the insurance to get any repairs fixed so your dh might not have had any choice in the matter.

ruby1234 Thu 17-Oct-13 13:18:55

Hmmm, why are both policies in your name? If he is the main driver of one of the cars, it should be in his name - were you getting a reduced cost on the policy because of your long no claims bonus?

I only ask, because as the mother of a newly passed teenage son, it is deemed illegal in the insurance industry to have him drive on my policy when he is actually the main driver of the car he uses. This makes for a much more expensive policy, because the policy has to be in his name.

But, in response to your AIBU about going through insurance, then I agree that if it was a very minor claim, then it would be more beneficial to have paid for the bump repair directly yourself

getoffthecoffeetable Thu 17-Oct-13 13:19:28

Better to get the insurance company involved as otherwise could invalidate your instance which will be needed if other party makes a personal injury claim...

Beastofburden Thu 17-Oct-13 13:20:33

And agree with 5foot5. You need to be squeaky clean on this- if he injures someone for life and they won't pay up, that's you in deep shit.

LittlePeaPod Thu 17-Oct-13 13:21:22

You can speak to your insurer and see if you can repay their costs. This would mean the claim would be notified but not paid therefore shouldn't affect your NCD.

Also if you have two cars. Who is down as the registered owner and keeper on the cars registration? If you are the main policy holder on yourninsurance policies then you must be the registered owner and keeper for the cars otherwise your insurer can cancel your policy from inception as if it never existed if they find out. If they cancelled you would have effectively been driving illegally and uninsured.

LookingThroughTheFog Thu 17-Oct-13 13:22:08

I don't think it's up to your husband - it's up to the driver of the other car. Isn't it a legal requirement to give them your insurance details? The other car owner could then decide to settle without insurance being involved.

2tiredtocare Thu 17-Oct-13 13:22:24

Always protect your no claims!

VoiceofRaisin Thu 17-Oct-13 13:25:04

You have to notify the insurance company of the bump whether or not you make a claim.

tiggytape Thu 17-Oct-13 13:25:31

I am the policy holder of insurance for both cars, he is the named driver for his car.

You have to be careful about this. There is something called "fronting" which is illegal.
It is when an experienced driver is named as the main driver and the inexperienced one only put down as a named driver even though they drive it most of the time and it is effectively their car.

As others have said re the accident - if the other driver insists on an insurance claim then there's nothing you can do and a lot of people do insist on it now because of the trouble getting money out of people otherwise.

TheAngryCheeseCracker Thu 17-Oct-13 13:27:38

some good points made. I can see now that it is the other side of the coin of getting him cheaply insured. My own decision (I am the paperwork/bills person in our house, DH just never "knows how things work", so I do it do the best of my ability)

To late to protect my no-claims now.

He is indeed the main driver, but I am the policy holder, but the insurance company KNOW this (as it is how we set it up after talking with them). How can it be illegal/null and void, IYSWIM?

Better call them again.....

at least I know not to blame him, but rather myself (boo...)

MelanieCheeks Thu 17-Oct-13 13:27:57

What was your excess?

Beastofburden Thu 17-Oct-13 13:28:06

Agree with all this- I didnt read the OP carefully and thought he was only an occasional driver, but he clearly isn't.

I would start again, OP. Get him his own policy. Doesn't sound as if you are legal ATM.

tiggytape Thu 17-Oct-13 13:29:02

Info on fronting here

I am not accusing you of anything - just most people don't know it is illegal. If you genuinely own both cars and drive both of them more than your husband does then that's fine.
But if one of the cars is his car and you rarely drive it, then the policy has to be in his name. I am not sure how you'd handle it with a claim going through though.

LittlePeaPod Thu 17-Oct-13 13:29:38

Op. Are you the registered owner and keeper of the vehicles! You need to feel them if you are not the registered keeper. It's classed as a material fact.

TheAngryCheeseCracker Thu 17-Oct-13 13:30:43

Ah, misread. No, HE is the MAIN driver for his car (got confused with "main" and "named"),.

I am policy holder
He is main driver for his car
I am main driver for my car

I thought the insurance for him was cheap, surprisingly, as It had taken me years as a new driver to get it down to a reasonable rate.

lessons learnt, lessons learnt......

LittlePeaPod Thu 17-Oct-13 13:30:51

That should be "you need to tell the insurer..

Beastofburden Thu 17-Oct-13 13:30:52

Well, if the insurance company agree it was their bad advice and not your non-disclosure, they might agree to start over, preserve your NCD, but ask you to shell out for the premium you would have owed if you had had separate policies, and set yuo both up independently. you can but try.

he needs to start driving better though or get a pushbike, this could get expensive

ouryve Thu 17-Oct-13 13:31:35

When DH bumped a neighbour's car, a few years ago he insisted on going through insurance, as it protected him, too. He pays for protected no claims, so no problems, there.

TheAngryCheeseCracker Thu 17-Oct-13 13:31:57

I am the owner and keeper of my car
he is the owner and keeper of his car

yet, I am the policy holder for both. With the same insurance company. It worked out cheapest. Now I understand why!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now