To ask about socket covers.

(20 Posts)
Caff2 Tue 24-Sep-13 21:22:29

I have been thinking about getting these at home, as I had them for my older son, and now have a toddler again. But, I have been warned, and then looked online, and it appears that these are actually now considered quite dangerous, more dangerous than not having them. Although it seems counter intuitive, I was convinced, and haven't bought them for home.

However, at work (primary school, infant age) I've just been supplied with a load for the classroom as a safety measure. I'm not totally sure of my ground, does anyone confidently know the pros/cons? I would like to raise this with my boss, but I'm new, and have become unsure again.

TravelinColour Tue 24-Sep-13 21:26:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Caff2 Tue 24-Sep-13 21:30:17

Thanks! I think I'll try and get a chance to bring it up tomorrow. To be honest, I had just assumed they were A Good Thing until recently.

zoobaby Tue 24-Sep-13 21:31:22

Yes, I saw the website above and decided to not get any. I dread the thought of them going in upside down and activating the shutters on the 2 live wires.

BUT I also think you need to thoroughly check your sockets as I believe the newer ones in our kitchen are different.

mumofweeboys Tue 24-Sep-13 21:33:12

I brought a load from ikea when I discovered ds2 poking things into our sockets, ds1 had never shown an interest. OH freaked and demanded I go and buy covers.

farrowandbawl Tue 24-Sep-13 21:33:30

They are a hazzard and should be banned.

BrianTheMole Tue 24-Sep-13 21:41:02

I wouldn't use them. Plug sockets have a built in safety mechanism anyway. Using socket covers over rides that and makes them really dangerous.

McNewPants2013 Tue 24-Sep-13 21:42:54

I saw that a few years ago and went around the whole house and removed them all.

Caff2 Tue 24-Sep-13 21:48:09

Thanks, everyone, feel more confident about bringing it up now.

pianodoodle Tue 24-Sep-13 21:52:00

We don't have them either for the same reasons.

Also if the child is able to pull them out it provides them with the perfect tool to actually release the safety (by turning it upside down and using the long pin) it leaves the other two holes open and dangerous.

Under normal circumstances a finger won't be able to do this.

AndHarry Tue 24-Sep-13 21:53:45

We don't have socket covers and OFSTED don't either recommend them or advise against them.

phantomnamechanger Tue 24-Sep-13 21:58:51

WOW I had no idea about this, thanks for the link!
So obvious when you see that photo!

Caff2 Tue 24-Sep-13 22:07:15

Why don't ofsted advise against?

pixwix Tue 24-Sep-13 22:14:57

Blimey! Mine are 16 & 10 now, and when they were little, socket covers were all the rage - I think I might have had a few with the oldest child.

Thats really interesting - goes to show - you do what you can based on advice at the time...

Actually, they weren't that interested in sockets as it transpires - much more interested in shoving marmite fingers into the video recorder though - I blame Postman Pat...

KatyMac Tue 24-Sep-13 22:19:03

ROSPA advise

Maryann1975 Tue 24-Sep-13 22:19:05

Im a childminder and I asked my ofsted inspector for her professional opinion and she said they weren't allowed to judge either way about them as no where in the EYFS does it say you have to use them. If you have done your research and have risk assessed in your head and thought why you do or don't want them I would say go with what ever you feel most comfortable with. I've been told that some councils (possibly derbyshire way?) have banned them on the grounds of safety though.

BananaPie Tue 24-Sep-13 22:22:27

Hmmm, I'm not sure about this. A kid when I was at school stuck a pair of scissors into a socket and was lucky not to have been injured.

I suppose it depends on the child, but the covers are pretty difficult to remove. I think I feel more comfortable having them especially in areas where younger kids are unsupervised like bedrooms.

StainlessSteelCat Tue 24-Sep-13 22:30:23

we bought them in bulk when eldest DC started crawling. we gave up after third design as he could remove them all. some time I read the link/info about them over riding the existing safety mechanism. I've never put them back, but like a PP mentioned, I'd buy a cover that prevented bread in a dvd player in a shot.

Helpyourself Tue 24-Sep-13 22:33:43

banana have you read the link?

FatallyFlawed Tue 05-Jul-16 14:56:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now