Talk

Advanced search

To think kissing a family member on the lips isn't weird

(187 Posts)
DrinkFromMyFountain Sat 07-Sep-13 14:44:50

I kissed my sister on the lips today to say goodbye in front of my friend. My friend afterwards said to me that she found it weird and almost incestuous shock.

It was a peck not a full on snog!

I kiss ds like this as well (although he is only a baby)

andypandy55 Thu 14-Jul-16 14:21:03

Think it depends how you were brought up. For me it's lips are for lovers and cheeks for others. (face cheeks that is!!)

mulattokid Thu 14-Jul-16 09:41:53

I get a slow slap and face pushed away if I try that with my son and we both giggle! lol

I think it's that same old issue. Some people cannot get their heads around there being a higher form of love then passion. They associate all kissing with some kind of sexual activity. Hello!? This love transcends any of that basic business. It is pure unadulterated God given love, unrelated to any kind of sexual activity. I feel sorry for those that cannot feel that kind of love, rather diminish it to a carnal level. I guess for some it is partly due to their upbringing though.

mulattokid Thu 14-Jul-16 09:39:45

I get a slow slap and face pushed away if I try that with my boy and we both giggle! lol

I think it's that same old issue. Some people cannot get their heads around there being a higher form of love then passion. They associate all kissing with some kind of sexual activity. Hello!? This love transcends any of that basic business. It is pure unadulterated God given love, unrelated to any kind of sexual activity. I feel sorry for those that cannot feel that kind of love, rather diminish it to a carnal level.

KayTee87 Wed 13-Jul-16 15:13:56

bigfam they're scraping the barrel hmm

Bigfam Wed 13-Jul-16 15:12:43

KayTee87 This thread is a link on a BBC article about Victoria Beckham kissing her daughter harper on the lips on her birthday.

It's not really relevant so not sure why they've used it..

KayTee87 Wed 13-Jul-16 14:13:39

I didn't realise this thread was zombie when I commented. I'm not sure how it's turned into a thread about people kissing their children. The original thread was about an adult kissing her adult sister on the lips - it's gone off on a tangent now.

icanteven Wed 13-Jul-16 11:02:11

I kiss my dd's (5 and 7) on the lips. 7yo sometimes goes EEEWWWW GERMS!!! but 5yo doesn't think about it, and will demand more kisses. They kiss each other on the lips or cheeks. Or run away screaming if one tries to kiss the other, depending on the mood.

My Mum kissed me on the lips when I was wee. I was about 7 when I switched to cheeks. On reflection, I hope I didn't hurt her feelings! I thought that kissing on the lips was only for little children.

It's utterly bizarre, this criticism of VB, and says a LOT more about the people criticising her and their sexual attitudes than anything else.

The picture of the father with his son in the shower, if it's the one I'm thinking of, was because the little boy had D&V and a temperature, and it was nicer to sit with him under the water to cool him off & clean off all the grossness, IIRC. The mother thought it was a very touching scene, and took the picture.

Shazpot14 Wed 13-Jul-16 10:54:35

You are a freak if you think it's weird

Shazpot14 Wed 13-Jul-16 10:50:49

And what's wrong with giving them a kiss idiot!!!!

Shazpot14 Wed 13-Jul-16 10:48:20

How stupid anyone who moans or says it's wrong you are idiots and I feel sorry for you how pathetic you are get a life you sad lonely people seriously pathetic!!!!!!!!!!

RaskolnikovsGarret Wed 13-Jul-16 07:56:57

Didn't notice the zombie thread, sorry blush

RaskolnikovsGarret Wed 13-Jul-16 07:55:08

DH and DD2.

DD1 is not a hugger/kisser, except with DD2, whom she adores. DD2 is 13, and still weirdly cute at this age, so very kissable. She initiates the lip kisses, so I'll probably continue as long as she wants.

Bigfam Wed 13-Jul-16 06:36:05

I'm actually think it's weird NOT to kiss your child/children on the lips. It just comes completely naturally. My youngest dd will **only kiss myself dp her sisters and brother on the lips multiple times a day

Beorach Tue 12-Jul-16 23:25:40

If you think a parent kissing their child on the lips is icky I feel sorry for you

nc17meg Tue 12-Jul-16 22:11:31

I was gonna add my thoughts, but the post by Lsli1951 exactly sums up my feelings. Can't really add anything to it, other than to agree 100% that the people who have criticised it perhaps need to examine their consciences.

Lsli1951 Tue 12-Jul-16 22:05:29

I suggest that those who are critical of Victoria Beckham look deep into themselves - as that's where the darkness is! I and my family have kissed this way forever, along with any other style of affection that we thought appropriate: we are normal, the detractors are the ones with the problems, I feel.

LilacSpunkMonkey Tue 12-Jul-16 21:27:47

1. Each to their own.

2. Zombie FUCKING thread!

silvermantela Tue 12-Jul-16 21:25:57

Agree with cardiback - not only does it seem very weird to me, it's something I have never even heard of (or seen) until mn, which suggests it is fairly unusual. I think saying it was incestuous is rude though!

Copy74 Tue 12-Jul-16 20:27:11

I kiss my brother on the forehead when I'm drunk (a lot). Is this acceptable?

Bigfam Tue 12-Jul-16 20:09:46

ParentsNetWithDadsToo I was just going to post this. Although I found it weird because the quote they've used from mumsnet has NOTHING to do with Victoria and harper beckham, the comment was made back in 2013 in response to the original thread about someone kissing their sister on the lips! hmm

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 12-Jul-16 20:08:35

Seriously, at least the DM lifts current threads instead of Zombie ones.

Jeez.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-36775203

ParentsNetWithDadsToo Tue 12-Jul-16 20:06:05

It was linked to in a BBC article about Victoria Beckham kissing her daughter on the lips.

Until a read that article it had never occurred to me that it might be considered weird. Why shouldn't I kiss my children on the lips?

They also showed a picture of a dad in the shower with his child and suggested that he was a paedo. Outrageous really, that wouldn't have been the question if it was the mum.

mylovegoesdown Tue 12-Jul-16 19:07:28

What is being Googled for the ZOMBIE re-animator to find these threads?

KayTee87 Tue 12-Jul-16 18:55:24

I would find it a bit odd. I only kiss my husband on the lips and my 20 month old nephew smacks the lips on me occasionally haha.

Janey50 Tue 12-Jul-16 18:50:06

I am from a not very tactile or demonstrative family so I find kissing anyone on the lips that you are not sexually intimate with a bit weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now