Advanced search

To contact uni about pissed students?

(80 Posts)
PigOnStilts Fri 06-Sep-13 08:46:07

Every year it's the same. We have nearly six months of peace, then BANG! The flyposting starts up, removal vans pull up and we're back at the start of term with noisy students waking us up shouting in the street. There are loads of families in our street, so safe to assume we were all disrupted last night.

I live in a beautiful old tenement in glasgow...and every autumn it's the same shit. Is there anything that can be done and us there any point in contacting the university?

moustachio Fri 06-Sep-13 08:51:06

I feel sorry for you. I had Ds when I was at uni so after 2 years of loving fresher's week, we deliberately moved toa non-studenty area. Most of the flyers are legal and not part of the uni anyway.

Is there anyway you'd move? Luckily for you student areas have dramatically increases rental yeilds/house values, compared to nearby places.

PigOnStilts Fri 06-Sep-13 08:54:30

Yeah, we had our house on market since start of year...took it off last week sad it settles down after a couple of weeks but its just crap. And uni can't really do anything can they?

marialuisa Fri 06-Sep-13 08:57:19

Yes, the University should have a community liaison team. Try looking under student services.

EllaWilk Fri 06-Sep-13 09:00:32

I'd complain to the university.

Where I went they used to provide lollipops on the way home to encourage you to not shout as you walk back.

AngryGnome Fri 06-Sep-13 09:01:36

I would contact the university. I work in a university and we are really keen to promote good relations between the students and the local community. If the houses are owned by the university then there is definitively something they will be able to do under their Student Code of Behaviour Policy. If the homes are privately rented, there will be less the university can actually do about it but it is likely that they will speak to the students about it.

In the first instance I would suggest maybe you and a couple of neighbours just popping over to have a friendly word with the students. They are probably just inconsiderate and don't realise the impact their behaviour has - if you explain, you might well find they improve. If not, call the university.

GertBySea Fri 06-Sep-13 09:02:16

Hmmm telling the uni about pissed students. Remember to let them know that grass is green at the same time perhaps...

GertBySea Fri 06-Sep-13 09:03:25

I would pop a note through the door or go round and say hello to the students themselves I think. I am sympathetic, honestly, even if I don't sound it smile

beals692 Fri 06-Sep-13 09:03:28

Some universities are taking action on this and have community liaison and phone lines for local people to report problems:

I'd suggest contacting your local Councillor to raise the issue (maybe make a record of the types and frequency of incidents first) and ask them what they are going to do about it.

Listentomum Fri 06-Sep-13 09:03:56

Yes contact the Uni, if the behaviour is really out of line. I'm my Uni last year students were chucked off courses for similar.

It's difficult though as general late night drunkness is enevitable, I wouldn't think it's realistic to expect the same level of noise and behaviour from students as you get from the other families in the street, but for really outrageous stuff the Uni will take it very seriously.

Loeri Fri 06-Sep-13 09:04:58

Sometimes I think the drinking age should be raised to 21... 18 year olds in this country seem to get more and more immature with every passing year.

PigOnStilts Fri 06-Sep-13 09:05:10

No, they're just passerby, roaring at each other. It's kinda fascinating watching the boys roar louder and hit cars with inflatable cricket bats to impress the girls....

I never call the cops unless there's real problem, so is

Trills Fri 06-Sep-13 09:05:12

What would you do if it were just "some people" rather than "students"?

If it were other adults (even if they were aged 18-21), you wouldn't contact their workplace.

ChunkyMonkeyMother Fri 06-Sep-13 09:08:25

Go round and talk to them - they are probably just oblivious - they may think they are surrounded by other students.

We gadgets a massive Halloween party once - i woke up to the neighbour standing over the sofa with a bin bag and an angry face - we sorted it out, apologised and explained we were actually told by dickhead landlord that the whole street was students - we had even posted invites to everyone

After that we were silent on our way home and actually became members of the community

ChunkyMonkeyMother Fri 06-Sep-13 09:09:15

Gadgets - had a ... Stupid phone!

PigOnStilts Fri 06-Sep-13 09:11:03

Well, exactly, short of setting up a checkpoints you can never be sure, but during the week? Only families or students live in this area, it's almost certainly students and glasgow uni is enormous.

I'm sure there are steps the uni can take....but it's a hugely powerful institution here, and I'm not convinced they'd be helpful.

Listentomum Fri 06-Sep-13 09:11:59

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about passerbys I thought they lived in your block.

BuskersCat Fri 06-Sep-13 09:13:40

Our uni used to host events, and allow flyering and drinks vouchers to be given on site. Tell them by all means that there are pissed students but be prepared for them to not actually do anything about it.

friday16 Fri 06-Sep-13 09:41:17

"If it were other adults (even if they were aged 18-21), you wouldn't contact their workplace."

If they were other adults, they wouldn't have rented the property via the university accommodation service.

justmyview Fri 06-Sep-13 09:47:15

I sympathise, but I think if you choose to live near a Uni, then noise from students is part of the deal & you have to accept that. Like living near a farm and complaining about cows....

If they're really out of order, then you could get their landlord's details from here (or report landlord for non-registration) and contact landlord regularly to complain

You could also watch out for HMO licence renewals and object to those. Local authorities can be quite sympathetic to noise complaints from neighbours, especially if they have been documented eg regular Recorded Delivery letters to landlord, to show that you've brought it to landlord's attention but landlord has not acted on it

Loeri Fri 06-Sep-13 09:50:21

Why is noise from students something you have to put up with? They are university to study, not be raucuous. They are supposed to be intelligent adults.

PrimalLass Fri 06-Sep-13 09:52:16

No I doubt uni will do anything. If you bought in the West End then it must have been expected? I lived on Byres Rd as a student and was fairly oblivious re who lived round about us.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 06-Sep-13 09:53:02

The most the university will do is send on en mass email telling the students to be more considerate at nighttime.

As you say, Glasgow uni is massive. How exactly would they police what their students were doing 24 hours a day?

cocobongo Fri 06-Sep-13 09:53:42

i presume that you live in the west end, and what has made it such a desirable place to live has partly been the diverse and cosmopolitan nature which has been strongly influenced by the university being here.

what do you realistically expect the university to do? it will mostly be privately rented accomodation. if the behaviour continues to be extreme, then contact the police or council. otherwise accept it as a small price to pay to live in such a good area (most of the time).

Loeri Fri 06-Sep-13 09:55:28

How can it be a good area if there are students running riot every night!?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: