Advanced search

To beg for a c-section?

(34 Posts)
Kyrptonite Wed 28-Aug-13 15:33:26

Background: DS born after 2 hours of labour and DD 40 minutes after getting to hospital.

Since then I've had some incontinence issues that this pg have made a lot worse. Several growth scans have also shown that DC3 is currently at least 6.5lbs with 2.5 weeks to go.

DS was 5lb 4oz and DD 7lb 2. I'm cacking it that this baby is going to be huge and fully ruin my pelvic floor. I'm leaking every time I move and had to go to labour ward last night to see if it was wee or waters. To my shame it was wee blush.

I'm terrified that my body won't recover from DC3. I have a scan tomorrow followed by consultant and I'm really trying to work up the courage to ask about a c section.

I know its huge surgery, its not something I'm thinking about lightly but I'm terrified. I also don't get any labour signs until I'm in immense pain and have quick labours so I'm also worrying about giving birth in a lay By or something going horribly wrong.

Will the consultant take me seriously? I asked a midwife at the start of the pg and she basically said well have a home birth then. I really don't want a home birth. Both DCs had placenta delivery issues and i lost a lot of blood and had to stay in overnight. 3 night with DS as he had to have antibiotics due to waters going early and me not realising.

HansieMom Fri 30-Aug-13 22:42:08

I have heard that female ob gyn doctors have C sections. I'd like Mners who know of such doctors to verify or refute this.

Kyrptonite Fri 30-Aug-13 21:06:51

Thank you. The GP today was very helpful and has written a letter to the consultant. He told me that my midwife has more direct access to the consultant so to speak to her at my appointment Monday and he will back me up if needs be.

RiotsNotDiets Fri 30-Aug-13 20:45:45

YANBU, your body your choice.

WRT pelvic floor issues, something like this would help you a lot

CheshirePanda Fri 30-Aug-13 20:42:04

Just to echo MrsBettany.... It is your right to have a CS if you want one.

here is the NICE report
No need to read it all...there are clear summaries!

I wouldn't worry you'll have to fight about it. . I didn't even need to get the report out of my bag...the consultant simply said 'ok' and made sure I understood the risks of CS vs vaginal and vice versa

PS everyone varies but my recovery was fairly simple. Good luck

MadameJosephine Fri 30-Aug-13 13:39:20

As other posters have already said, you shouldn't have to 'beg' for anything! You are entitled to have a rational discussion with a consultant during which you can come to a decision with all the facts in front of you. With your history of precipitate labour it may be that an induction of labour with an experienced midwife might be your best option rather than a section but every case is different and at the end of the day this is your body and your decision

Seaweedy Fri 30-Aug-13 13:27:06

What other people said. You don't need to 'beg', you are entitled to request one. I did. It was a calm procedure, with an uncomplicated recovery. Having said that, I have only given birth by c-section, and only that once, and I have pelvic floor issues. In my case, it was pregnancy that caused them, not a vagnal delivery.

Good luck either way.

Kyrptonite Fri 30-Aug-13 11:49:15

Drs in 40 mins with a different GP. Thank you for all the advice and PMs smile

sarascompact Thu 29-Aug-13 22:35:30

Kryptonite, I've pm'd you.
MrsBettany, I pm'd you too, by mistake. Sorry, my message was meant for the OP. blush Thank goodness it wasn't exceptionally personal or it could have been even more embarrassing!

MrsBettany Thu 29-Aug-13 20:28:51

Cross post - the updated 2011 guidelines don't just refer you for a second opinion, they clearly state you should be referred to a consultant who will carry out a caeserian.

It is in the section called Maternal Request for a Caesarian Section (can't copy and paste on my phone).

MrsBettany Thu 29-Aug-13 20:22:28

Check out NICE's guidance CG132 issued in 2011. You are entitled to request a caeserian even where there is no clinical indication. Your consultant is required to discuss your concerns but ultimately is required to offer you a caeserian if you still want one. Where a consultant is not willing to offer a caeserian they must refer you to another consultant who will.

You do not need to beg anyone - make an appt asap with your consultant and take the NICE guidance with you. You may decide after discussion that you are happy to have a vaginal birth but if you are not then they cannot deny you a caesarian.

Bamboobambino Thu 29-Aug-13 20:20:38

Agree, don't demand, discuss and ask for a second opinion from a different consultant if you need to.
NICE guidelines do not give you a right to demand anything except a second opinion from a different obstetrician if necessary.

everlong Thu 29-Aug-13 20:15:59

Demanding won't do anything.

Wellwobbly Thu 29-Aug-13 20:07:18

Don't beg.


Make sure you see the consultant at the hospital.

lljkk Thu 29-Aug-13 20:07:03

Almost every medical consultant has own PA/secretary who handles their private clients as well as NHS, hospital can put you in touch.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 29-Aug-13 19:59:35

I am sorry that you are so distressed. I think you need an appointment with a consultant to explain how terrified you are and see their advice as to how best minimise the chance of any further damage occurring. I honestly don't know whether a section or a vaginalbirth would be the best bet but your consultant will. Your GP sounds sexist and unpleasant. I hope you can find a resolution.

Kyrptonite Thu 29-Aug-13 19:50:00

I don't have a telephone number for my consultant. Can I phone the hospital and get put through that way?

I have my first physio session for the pelvic floor issues on Monday morning.

loopydoo Thu 29-Aug-13 19:17:13

I understand how you are feeling and I can tell you are anxious by the situation. It's very common in pregnancy to have leakage problems as the muscles are weaker.

I would ask to talk to your midwife and explain (before the appointment) that you would like her to explain options if incontinence continues after birth.

Tell her why you are thinking about the CS option and tell her your SPD worries. If you don't feel as though she has explained it properly or enough to make you feel at ease, tell her and ask her to go over it again.

She needs to work with you and support you in how you're feeling and the choices you make. Perhaps you could get your previous birth notes and ask her to go over them with certainly don't want to feel goaded into something or be told (by GP) you're being ridiculous. Fear should not be brushed over, no matter how small that fear is smile

everlong Thu 29-Aug-13 19:03:12

I'm sorry you're so upset.

I had ds2 at hone because of a precipitate labour.. all very terrifying with just my sister, niece and her DH. He was nearly 10lb.

With ds3 I was like you very scared and anxious about another fast labour so I asked the consultant for a C section. He wouldn't hear of it. Said no immediately. I cried too.

He did offer induction at 38 weeks which I had and it was ok.

You will be ok.

oscarwilde Thu 29-Aug-13 19:03:05

You poor thing - you sound like you are at the end of your rope and your GP is clearly a pillock.

I'd push very heavily for post natal pelvic floor surgery [and the snip for DH] in preference to a CS honestly. Bollocks to the exercises, start making a song and dance about how bad it has been before this pregnancy and start your GP writing his referral letter now. If it's your third naturally delivered child then even if it's a little bigger, I would be hoping for an easier delivery than the complication of a CS recovery with three children to look after.

Given the speed of your labours and previous blood loss, I would also tell the midwife what to do with her homebirth unless she is going to move in 24x7 in anticipation of your waters going. Silly cow.
Your are obviously under consultant care - can you get arsey with him/her? What can you do to have your labour ward on red alert when you phone to say you are on your way in?

PurplePidjin Thu 29-Aug-13 18:59:57

Yabvvvu to beg - you need to state calmly what will be happening at your birth.

Write a list of bullet points and get an appointment asap with your mw or consultant.

Good luck thanks

froken Thu 29-Aug-13 18:50:16

Don't cry! ( hugs)

A big baby doesn't necessarily mess up your pelvic floor, ds was 10 pounds and he came out with 2 pushes. My pelvic floor is exactly the same as before pregnancy, I had a smear 3 months post birth and the nurse was amazed I'd had a baby.

I also had awful wee problems in pregnancy, I used scented liners and dp recently told me I still smelt of wee occasionally blush I think it was the baby sitting on my bladder because as soon as ds was born it was fine.

Good luck, I hope it all works out well for you smile

hazeyjane Thu 29-Aug-13 18:50:03

Urinary incontinence can happen after csection as well as vaginal birth.

Personally I found an elcs very difficult to recover from. I was told I would certainly need surgery after having ds, but have managed to avoid, and my pelvic floor isn't completely knackered!

See another GP pronto.

Bamboobambino Thu 29-Aug-13 18:49:19

The GP can't influence the situation in any way anyhow. These decisions are made by the obstetric team

Eilidhbelle Thu 29-Aug-13 18:45:55

Can you see another GP? That one sounds like a complete tool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now