To be cross when the heating is on full blast in summer even though I don't pay for it?

(12 Posts)
Turniptwirl Thu 22-Aug-13 20:00:11

Gas and electric are included in my rent, which is very reasonably priced

I regularly get home on hot days to find the heating on full blast and no one else home.

Even in winter I only ever put it on to half full, which is toasty warm! And I turn it off when I'm the last one to leave the house

AIBU to be cross that my housemate puts it on so high needlessly (it's a hot day) and leaves it on? Or should I just suck it up since it doesn't cost me anything? I normally turn it off as soon as I get home when this happens as its just too hot with it on! But AIBU to mess with the settings?

Salmotrutta Thu 22-Aug-13 20:03:37

It isn't even cold up here in Scotland - and we are often notorious for having to put our heating on in the end days of summer!

What a waste of energy - your housemate is mad!

Mumoftwoyoungkids Thu 22-Aug-13 20:05:47

No. Because if fuel bills are expensive then your landlord will start thinking about putting the rent up.

Plus - nobody likes to be admitted to hospital for heatstroke. It makes you miss Eastenders.

Does your housemate maybe not understand the controls? My dh has occassionally put the hot water on rather than the heating as they are the two sides of a panel.

valiumredhead Thu 22-Aug-13 20:06:12

I can't imagine the heating on when it's hot,I mean why on earth would you?confused

ChippingInHopHopHop Thu 22-Aug-13 20:08:25

I go mad if all the windows & doors aren't open if anyone else is home this time of year! I'd go postal at anyone heating the house!!

and what Mum said, your landlord will have to put the rent up to cover the bills...

ArgyMargy Thu 22-Aug-13 20:11:24

When you say "mess with the settings" do you mean the timers or the thermostat? Well, in fact YANBU to mess with any of it in the summer. Heating? Do you live in the Arctic?

Turniptwirl Thu 22-Aug-13 20:14:43

By mess with I mean turn the damn heating off!!!

Housemate should know the controls better than me, she's lived her a v v v long time and its very simple!

Glad it's not just me who thinks heating in August is silly!

digerd Thu 22-Aug-13 20:23:11

Wish I was toasty warm in my house in the winter with the heating on full blastenvy. I am at home all day, it seems wasteful to have it on when everyone is out at work in the summer. Don't you have a timer?

I am up at 5.30am and only in the last few days had to put a cardi on first thing - never the heating. YANBU

McNewPants2013 Thu 22-Aug-13 21:15:02

I am cold blooded and I can't remember the last time I had the heating on.

leelee12345 Thu 29-Oct-15 11:56:00

Absolutely nothing wrong with having the heating on in summer. I have mine on 365 days a year, on full blast (35 degrees). I love to be warm and toasty. I only turn it off when i am in bed. I never open the windows, as I don't like the cool breeze to come in and spoil the heat. I don't understand people who say 'it's too warm' as for me there is no such thing. If my thermostat went higher, I would set it higher. For me, 35 is just about warm enough, I have to put the fire on to boost it up to 45 degrees which is just right for me, lovely and warm. My bills are sky high but I would rather be warm and pay for it. So no, your housemate is being totally reasonable, it is sensible to have the heating on in summer.

Bunnyhipsdontliegrl Thu 29-Oct-15 12:30:48

That was 2 years ago...

SeveredHeadsDragOnTheFloor Thu 29-Oct-15 12:34:17

How the hell do these kinds of thread get found after 2 years?!

Some I understand if you have googled a problem you're having but this is not one of those kinds of thread.

Bizarre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now