Talk

Advanced search

to ask how you deal with boastful/self obsessed people?

(160 Posts)
Bumblequeen Fri 09-Aug-13 12:34:13

There are a number of people I have to listen to on a regular basis, mostly work colleagues who are pally with my various members of my team. There are six of us in an office and there is no escape from hearing their loud conversations.

One woman feels the need to discuss where she shops and how much she pays for her designer items.

Another woman goes into painful detail about her holidays, talking through each photo.

Once they have finished taking about themselves they literally walk away!

What are your funny experiences?

mrsjay Fri 09-Aug-13 12:39:21

I usually yawn and walk away,

a woman always tells us how much things cost especially her town house she will say I bought new expensive rugs for my house after all it costs Xthousand pounds it is worth spending that as cheap stuff just doesn't look right in it

I also know somebody who uses an expensive brand of make up and she brings out her shiney compact with the brand on and leaves it lying about for a few minutes so we all see it , confused I amuse myself by thinking it is a superdrug powder in an expensive case grin

people can be boring sometimes

quesadilla Fri 09-Aug-13 12:41:26

I have very limited tolerance for this I am afraid. I think if people have got to adulthood without realising that friendships require give and take/talking and listening, unless they suffer from a condition which affects this, then they don't deserve friends.

I have just dropped a friend who lives on the other side of the world because she expects to have one and a half hour long phone chats once a fortnight consisting of her bitching about her job and her dating life and me not being able to get a word in.

I work full time and have a dc, I don't have time to do this even with family and close friends let alone someone that self obsessed.

Life is too short for people like this. If you don't know them well enough to tell them, drop them or -- if they work with you just screen them out when they are talking.

YouTheCat Fri 09-Aug-13 12:41:43

Photoshop yourself onto some moon landing pictures and then tell them all about your wonderful journey into space. grin

Bumblequeen Fri 09-Aug-13 12:42:32

It is so annoying. In my opinion one of the worse traits a person can have is boasting.

What amazes me is people like this usually have an army of friends and people fawning after them!

AntlersInAllOfMyDecorating Fri 09-Aug-13 12:43:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

I have a relative who has basically done everything.

Only last week we were talking to another family member about a concert we had been to and yep, she was there too (only she said some things about it that told us she hadnt been at all) and her car is just the best ever. Her holiday was fantastic. She still talks about her wedding, a year later.

I just tune out. It used to be funny. Now its boring.

Bumblequeen Fri 09-Aug-13 12:44:19

I really believe the saying;

"If you act like you are wonderful, people will soon think you are".

Bumblequeen Fri 09-Aug-13 12:45:55

You have got to have a level of confidence to believe that people are interested in every insignificant detail of your life.

mrsjay Fri 09-Aug-13 12:48:25

I once told an old neighbour after she was boasting about her new house (why is it always houses i dont get it ) and asking me if we couldn't afford to move,followed by a head tilt,
I replied well my house is small but we like it here and id rather have a small house and feel safe ,soon shut her up , (area she moved to has a huge antisocial behaviour problem and the new estate is on the edge of the village, I never wish harm on anybody but god she got on my wick grin

mrsjay Fri 09-Aug-13 12:49:03

or ignorance bumble

I actually think people like this are deeply insecure.

poorbuthappy Fri 09-Aug-13 12:51:32

They are known as black cats around here...if you have a black cat they have a cat which is blacker.

Also known as "if you had an elephant, they'd have a box big enough to put it in"

Does my head in.

Wearytiger Fri 09-Aug-13 12:52:14

I absolutely love the idea of 'going spaniel' antlers!

LessMissAbs Fri 09-Aug-13 12:52:52

Tune out, phase out.

mrsjay Fri 09-Aug-13 12:53:42

I just think people like stuff and things and are astonished that others are not like them --and dont give a shiney shite how much your house cost6

SoniaGluck Fri 09-Aug-13 12:55:35

Don't want to derail, but I am so taken with Antler's expression go spaniel that I am going to adopt it.

UnstoppableCousCous Fri 09-Aug-13 12:55:56

I encourage them shamelessly until (if ever) they realise I'm taking the piss.

AnyFucker Fri 09-Aug-13 12:56:23

Cold shoulder them

Don't engage

If you get cornered, say must dash and off you go

elQuintoConyo Fri 09-Aug-13 12:56:31

Laughing at "finding a way to go spaniel", that should become a MN set phrase!
I agree with yawning and wandering off, or make a comment about poverty/beggars/Russian orphans/soup kitchens and how you help out/donate to charities. Out-bore them!

mrsjay Fri 09-Aug-13 12:56:41

but what if they just see that as a red light Unstopapable

UnstoppableCousCous Fri 09-Aug-13 12:59:20

They usually work it out unless very dense. I find it quite entertaining tbh (although not in actual friends and not if I've got anything better to do). I love it when people do it on here.

MadeOfStarDust Fri 09-Aug-13 13:00:42

people don't do it to me any more - I got really fed up of the holidays/new car/gadget - mostly funded on credit - crowd that I just said - oh well since we've paid off the mortgage in April, we will be able to afford it all now..... silence since.... grin

(I also love the "go spaniel" expression!)

tethersend Fri 09-Aug-13 13:04:31

Enough about me, what do you think about me?

mrsjay Fri 09-Aug-13 13:04:38

I know somebody who would never stop if i showed a slightest bit of interest but tbh she is oblivious to most things that dont concern her

I think we should have a Go spaniel campaign empower people against the boasters grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now