Talk

Advanced search

To think of all places the docs surgery should understand the infectious nature of Chick Pox?

(57 Posts)
ThePrinceofCambridge Tue 23-Jul-13 14:52:27

Told by doc to bring baby in yesterday, as I was booking appt with receptionist, I said - she probably does have chicken pox soo....

" Yes, so" she said very slowly, " and"

" Well she probably has chicken pox?"

" Yes and the doctor wants to see her I cant see the problem here, I am booking you an appointment"

" Sorry, yes of course, I am not making myself clear, what I mean is - where do I go, when I come in because she will be infectious"

" Oh I dont think there will be a problem, just come to reception"

" Ok, but perhaps ask one of your colleagues, and if there is a procedure to follow let me know, like waiting in my car or something".

Go into docs, reception FULL, hot and stuffy, baby in a pram, the elderly, I stand in the door way trying to get one of the ladies attention to let them know I am there. They think I am being pushy and do not want to wait my turn in the queue.

I approach one of them and say, " hello, this is the possible poxy child where do we go"

Again I was told very very curtly several times I would have to check in, I still had to check in.

Then, finally another lady said she would check me in, ( all this time I am mixing with these members of the public) and they put me in a different small waiting area where blood is taken. After 6 mins the doc calls me in.

Am I mad, isnt this basic stuff here?

There is a back door there I could have easily come to the back to let them know I was there and waited outside by the back -and unused by the public back door!

YouTheCat Tue 23-Jul-13 14:54:56

You sound extremely sensible and the receptionist sounds like a really stupid cow.

Tee2072 Tue 23-Jul-13 14:55:01

Make a complaint. You're right they should have a procedure and a place.

ThePrinceofCambridge Tue 23-Jul-13 14:56:03

who do I make a complaint too?

LadyBryan Tue 23-Jul-13 14:57:36

Utterly silly of them.

When my daughter had chicken pox, they set up a couple of chairs in a meeting room for us to wait in.

ThePrinceofCambridge Tue 23-Jul-13 14:59:28

If I was pregnant, sat on that bench waiting for a blood test and see a poxy child next to me, I would be furious!

YouTheCat Tue 23-Jul-13 14:59:44

Complain to the practice manager I think.

Saxie Tue 23-Jul-13 15:00:26

My son got the spots yesterday. We went to the doctors and were given an appointment after all the other patients had left. It's a really great surgery.

MummyCoolski Tue 23-Jul-13 15:16:50

We had this yesterday. Possible rubella in DS (1yo) and even though I was very clear on the phone about not wanting to infect the vulnerable, we sat for a quarter of an hour in the waiting room, at one point next to a Mum with a tiny baby. Mind you, the GP said it was probably rubella but that they wouldn't test, so they are obviously very blasé at my practice.

Mooycow Tue 23-Jul-13 15:18:55

OH PLEASE chicken pox is not the bubonic plague, if the pox has already started to show then you are NOT infectious any more.
You do not need to even see the GP it is not a notifiable disease get a life

xylem8 Tue 23-Jul-13 15:20:50

I get the impression it is not the pox she is going for?

ThePrinceofCambridge Tue 23-Jul-13 15:21:04

I am aghast.

This is peoples lives they are playing russian rouette with.,

My baby is due to be Baptised on Sunday, I rang the church to tell of our predicament the lady was quite stern with me, saying we do not want to infect the priest. I told her I would most certainly not be taking the baby anywhere etc, and she said her grandfather died of CP.

She said it was a family party, one DC had it, they all said - do not worry we have all had it, but turns out the gp had not actually had it and he died.

Why are they so blase about it?

ThePrinceofCambridge Tue 23-Jul-13 15:23:47

No Xylem, it was her breathing, her breathing was laboured and I was concerned about that with the possibility of the pox also affecting her chest. I called the doc, he the doctor, the medical professional that is, told me to bring the baby in.

Moo

Your very wrong, very wrong, I do not blame you, but I want to cry at how little people know about the pox. Its not your fault, if this is what docs surgeries are like what hope do we all have?

Moo, they are infectious until the last spot scabs over and is dry.

Tee2072 Tue 23-Jul-13 15:25:32

Yes, the Practice Manager.

Mooycow Tue 23-Jul-13 15:25:46

CP related complications are VERY rare ie Pneumonia Encephalitus etc
you could in theory die from a cold if it caused a complication,

Sirzy Tue 23-Jul-13 15:27:20

OH PLEASE chicken pox is not the bubonic plague, if the pox has already started to show then you are NOT infectious any more.

YES THEY ARE INFECTIOUS.

Tee2072 Tue 23-Jul-13 15:27:35

CP is extremely dangerous to the elderly, pregnant women and those with suppressed immune systems.

MummyCoolski Tue 23-Jul-13 15:27:36

Mooycow, I think chickenpox is infectious until all the blisters are scabbed over. It is relatively mild in most children, but in the vulnerable can be very serious and can (rarely) cause severe complications in an otherwise healthy person.

PastaBeeandCheese Tue 23-Jul-13 15:28:19

YANBU they should have a policy.

ThePrinceofCambridge Tue 23-Jul-13 15:30:02

If i didn't want to to complain to the surgery, is there like an area manager or something for the surgery I could alert to this>

Sirzy Tue 23-Jul-13 15:30:03

Exactly Tee. Those who are most likely to be found in a GPs waiting room.

DS narrowly avoided being admitted to hospital with breathing difficulties when he had CP.

He was nearly killed by a cold when he was a baby but that doesn't mean I don't fully appreciate the need to ensure that chicken pox isn't spread to vulnerable people.

Cravey Tue 23-Jul-13 15:34:20

Please please make a complaint. I have no immune system and chicken pox could kill me. I truly appreciate parents like you. The dizzy receptionist needs to be told what she did is wrong. Could have been worse though at my gp surgery the receptionist kindly put me in a small waiting room as the surgery was full of patients with flu. Lovely apart from the fact that she had also put three pox ridden children in there with me.

Cravey Tue 23-Jul-13 15:36:06

Sirzy they are still infectious and believe me from my point of view it may as well be bubonic plague.

ThePrinceofCambridge Tue 23-Jul-13 15:37:02

It wasn't just the receptionist though, I asked her on the phone to check with colleges, no one got back to me, then when I went in, it was the people sat behind, the sort of admin staff as well, none of them knew.

Maybe someone can help me word a letter or something.

breatheslowly Tue 23-Jul-13 15:38:19

I'm puzzled by some of the responses you have had. MN regularly has "can I take my DC with chicken pox to X" and posters generally respond "no, don't risk it, there might be a vulnerable person there". So you have asked, shouldn't the doctors' surgery have separated you from the other people who were waiting, some of whom were probably vulnerable and you have been jumped on.

I has to have my immunity tested during pregnancy after exposure to CP. I google it a bit. It can be serious. I think YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now