Talk

Advanced search

to find the cover photo of a young girl on Smalltalk-magazine's summer issue 34 just 'wrong'

(68 Posts)
Ocktober Thu 18-Jul-13 20:36:44

www.smalltalk-magazine.com

A very young girl dressed up like a grown up, striking a model pose with nail varnish, lipstick, adult sunglasses and jewellery? Let children be children and all that. There's enough pressure on young girls to conform and be 'pretty' without family magazines endorsing the trend. I have emailed them my view.

SoupDragon Fri 09-Aug-13 07:38:17

You don't have to be "confused" about anything, soupdragon. Unless you often get confused about people having different opinions from yours

When it makes no sense, yes I do.

NellysKnickers Fri 09-Aug-13 07:40:29

Yep SoupDragon, that's exactly what I see too.

Nishky Fri 09-Aug-13 07:46:06

When I first looked it did look like a pose, but having zoomed in - it does look like she is looking at the bag

Retropear Fri 09-Aug-13 07:46:57

Sorry soooooo don't get the hoo ha.

Errrr those of us with little girls(and boys)are well used to them clomping around in oversized sunglasses,chipped nail polish,gaudy bags and more strings of beads your average Christmas tree could shake a twig at.

I know MN is on a competitive pc outrage streak at the mo but sorry this op is ott imvho.<gavel>

Chatteringarses Fri 09-Aug-13 08:51:56

YANBU at all. Yikes! yes sorry this is definitely a creepy picture and it gives off a very uncomfortable impression to me. I think its strange that others can't see the problems with it.

She doesn't look like she is having any fun at all. She looks like an adult has posed her very in a very unnatural 'adult model' way- definitely not a kid striking her own fun silly photo pose, which was what I was expecting from reading the comments. And a happy kid having dress up fun does not have that serious face most importantly.

The impression is of an adult having loaded her up with their choice of tat and then posing her under very carefully done lights. It does not give the impression of a child model having a fun day out- just looks like hard work for the child conforming to a non-age appropriate photo shoot.

I'm not even going to go there with the 'creative' concept behind the carefully coordinated pink stuff and all of what tired pish that is promoting about what little girls want to be when they grow up.

It's the adult agenda imposed throughout this that makes this seem strained and not like most other photoshoots involving child models. Child models should not be treated and photographed exactly the same as miniature adults, even when they are being paid to do a job. It's definitely a creepy photo.

PrettyKitty1986 Fri 09-Aug-13 08:55:15

To me it looks like a picture of a little girl playing dress up - too big bag, jewellery and glasses. It's cute.

I don't think the photo is 'too old' or will put pressure on other...uh...5 year olds? There is no ott make up or flesh on show.

YABU.

MarmaladeTwatkins Fri 09-Aug-13 08:59:00

Cute? Really?

Chocovore Fri 09-Aug-13 09:42:46

I don't like the image at all. She doesn't look like she is having fun. To me it is not dressing up in the traditional sense, it is mimicking adult attire and poses.

Wuxiapian Fri 09-Aug-13 09:46:44

YABU.

Not sexualised at all.

MarmaladeTwatkins Fri 09-Aug-13 10:08:13

Chocivore has hit the nail on the head.

Can someone please point out where anyone has actually said it is sexualized?

DryCounty79 Fri 09-Aug-13 10:52:29

NellysKnickers, I have a quick question for you which is nothing to do with this thread. The trenchcoat your DS wears when he is being Dr Who - is it one that is his and fits him, or does he borrow an adults? I just ask because I've been trying to find one for my DS and am failing miserably.

Sorry to hijack the thread, everyone smile

HandMini Fri 09-Aug-13 11:05:27

YANBU.

If she was beaming at the camera / laughing it would give more of an impression of fun/dress up. I've seen lots of pictures of children "dressing up in mummy clothes" type playing which are fun and clearly playful.

This photo has been styled like a women's magazine fashion shoot (lighting, not looking at camera). That's what makes it a bit icky - whenever you see a child who looks like they've been parachuted into a situation rather than they want to be there, it's uncomfortable viewing.

Branleuse Fri 09-Aug-13 11:11:08

OFGS

youre being ridiculous. Its just a girl playing dress up. There is nothing sexual or sexualised about a little girl playing grown up

Branleuse Fri 09-Aug-13 11:11:59

why are we so petrified of what little girls wear???

MarmaladeTwatkins Fri 09-Aug-13 11:35:32

NOBODY HAS SAID IT IS SEXUALIZED. FGS.

NellysKnickers Fri 09-Aug-13 18:45:55

Hi Drycounty, its one I got off ebay, its a ladies small one but is perfect for those days when he just has to be David Tennant (sorry everyone who is having a serious debate)

Retropear Fri 09-Aug-13 20:14:08

Erm Choc dressing up often is mimicking adult attire.Mimicking adults including what they wear is a valuable part of educational play.

Branleuse Sat 10-Aug-13 22:48:46

if you dont think its sexualised then what is the issue???

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »