Talk

Advanced search

To want my pharmacy to get my medication right?

(8 Posts)
GiveMeVegemite Fri 12-Jul-13 22:11:46

So not sure if this is the right section, but I thought you all might have some advice!

I have to take hypertension medication due to pregnancy high blood pressure. Due to the number of tablets I am prescribed, the chemist has to open 2 bottles and put in different numbers of pills and then obviously stick the label on etc....

Basically I am prescribed 2 x 100mg a day and the label they have stuck on says 2 x 200mg tablets so effectively doubling my dose!

Is there someone I can report them to?

Sirzy Fri 12-Jul-13 22:22:22

Are you sure it's not the doctor who prescribed who has made an error? (Or changed the dose and not told you?)

Why not go back to the pharmacy and discuss it with them before taking any further action?

4thfloor Fri 12-Jul-13 22:25:50

No I don't think so ,

First of all check with your GP that they haven't prescribed 2 x 200mg

But it sounds like a mistake that you are well aware of. Point it out to chemist and let it be resolved amicably

fedupandtired Fri 12-Jul-13 22:27:26

That's actually really serious. Nothing should leave the pharmacy without being checked by a qualified pharmacist. Errors do happen which is why they're checked and the fact that this has happened means that either the pharmacist didn't check properly or it wasn't checked.

Who do you report it to? Not sure. Personally I'd just go back and ask to speak to the manager (probably the pharmacist though!). Whilst in your case no harms been done, it does have the potential to be very serious. At the least it needs highlighting so they can tighten their procedures.

GiveMeVegemite Sat 13-Jul-13 15:23:31

I used to be prescribed 200mg, but it was making me very faint and dropping my blood pressure too low. My new prescription (which I have been filling at that pharmacy for 2 months) is for 100mg so the dose hasnt been changed, they just messed it up...

ClayDavis Sat 13-Jul-13 15:44:53

Is it an independent pharmacy or a chain? I think I would return it to the pharmacy and explain what's happened and ask for their complaints policy. I'd be tempted to make the complain in writing so there is a record of it. If you don't get anywhere you can make a complaint to the General Pharmaceutical Council.

Did you read the actual prescription when you handed it in? It's possible that the error originated with whoever signed the prescription off at your GP surgery.

EnlightenedOwl Sat 13-Jul-13 15:47:33

Twice my pharmacy has cocked up my prescription. First occasion not giving me enough number of tablets according to the script the second too many
Second time once too many and I complained.
they keep asking me to use their prescription collection service from the doctor - no way do I trust them to do this.

Loupee Sat 13-Jul-13 15:51:18

I would go back or phone the pharmacy and explain what has happened.
These type of issues are taken very seriously, I have worked in a pharmacy, and while prescriptions are dispensed then check, there is always possibility for human error. And the pharmacist will be able to see who was at fault, either them or the GP clicked the wrong thing on his computer and printed off the wrong prescription.
All errors are reported to the governing body, and if a pharmacy has too many problems they will be investigated. They also have to report 'near misses' when a mistake has been noticed before its left the pharmacy.
Luckily no harm was done this time, but you can play your part in trying to prevent it from happening again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now