Advanced search

to want to name and shame my estate agent? And to ask, how?

(52 Posts)
QueenofWhispers Fri 12-Jul-13 19:29:17

16 months ago, I moved into the property of my dreams. I cannot afford to buy, and I am restricted due to certain circumstances to live in a certain area. I have posted about some of this before.

I honestly feel like our problems stems from f*ckless incompetent asswipes who think they manage properties I feel that the landlords are actually quite accommodating in themselves but because they live oversees the management company is who I have to rely on.

From the day that I moved in, there have been outstanding issues that were supposed to have been resolved before moving in. The list is long and extensive...and I was assured that 'of course these things will be fixed in due time. It's been 16 months and not much has been fixed.

The specific issue I will be speaking about today is a leak in the ceiling which has now turned into a collapsed ceiling in the sitting room. sad Brown water is cascading down--every single pot, pan and bucket I own is underneath trying to catch it. The other half of the ceiling is threatening to fall down. I did report this issue numerous times over the year (before when the leak was just a brown spot on the ceiling) ...They did eventually send out a plumber today (Landlords spoke to the management company on my behalf and reiterated how important it was that it happen today as I had waited far too long).

So magically someone did come today, tore open half a meter hole in my ceiling and then ran away saying they would send someone else 'asap'. When I went up, the half meter hole in the ceiling had bubbled and now a 4x5 meter hole is in it's place. The whole of the ceiling is 8.5 meters by 6 meters and the brown liquid is just not stopping. Management company (which is a notorious estate agent) had our property manager return my call who told me she didn't know what to do after the plumber had left and only could advise me when the leak had stopped...she told me to call the fire brigade...who came and told us that it was serious because the water was affecting the electric circuiting of the whole house.

Tracing the leak to a leak in a flat that is not occupied. Fire brigade turned off the water supply to that flat but there is an unspecified amount of water trapped between the floor and our ceiling and no one knows when the leak will dry out.

When the fire-man spoke to my property manager person about our home being un-inhabitable due to the mould, brown liquid and debris she told him she didn't know what to do as she was to be away for the weekend and was running late.

I am supposed to stay here over the weekend because I have no money (payday is next friday) to stay anywhere else...I have no family close by (I'm an expat).

I've got pictures, I've got emails and I've got rage...but who would actually care?

I had a DS with SN, and I'm pregnant with baby two. Why is this ever soo complicated?

Feminine Fri 12-Jul-13 20:03:14

So you are stuck then? just waiting ? have I got that right?

Feminine Fri 12-Jul-13 20:04:09

When will the landlord get back to you then? any idea?

WestmorlandSausage Fri 12-Jul-13 20:06:59

QueenofWhispers where do you live someone on here may be able to help?

specialsubject Fri 12-Jul-13 20:07:28

evidently your landlord cares - and certainly should! Not much practical help, but overseas landlords are at the mercy of incompetent letting agents.

you need to pass on this story to the landlord, who is paying for this crap service. He/she should have insurance to cover the issues.

doesn't help immediately - my only thought is to ring your council's emergency accommodation people. I know it isn't a council house but they may be able to help.

and I regret to say that you need to consider moving. With a crap agent stopping anything happening, it's not going to get better unless the landlord can change agents and get it sorted.

ChocolateBiscuitCake Fri 12-Jul-13 20:08:35

Stop paying rent. Immediately.

Maybe post in legal too as this must be a landlord/tenant issue.

You poor thing.

HarderToKidnap Fri 12-Jul-13 20:09:22

Go to a hotel, stick it on a credit card and deduct it from your rent. After taking plenty of photos of course. Not sure of the legalities of it but that's what I would do and let them try and sue me for it!

OnTheNingNangNong Fri 12-Jul-13 20:10:01

Your local council should be able to have emergency accommodation. The agency need a long complaints letter about this. It is disgusting behaviour.

EccentricElastic Fri 12-Jul-13 20:23:28

Are you saying that the property manager has gone away for the weekend and left you in this dreadful state? If so, it is just not acceptable.
I would do exactly what chocolateBiscuitcakeand Hardertokidnap has said. Take plenty of photos from as many angles as you can, also measure the hole. Don't pay anymore rent, and book into a Hotel - as the firemen have said it's a dangerous situation.
Then on Monday morning I would be down at the Estate agents and raising merry hell, for they are representatives of your landlord, and I'm sure he's not going to be happy when he finds out what is going on. Refuse to leave the office until they actively sort the problem.
I would also be in contact with Environmental Health, and anyone else who may possibly carry some weight re this.

If you get chance - and if you haven't already done so - write down every detail of contact that you can remember having with the Agents re this problem.

Big hugs for you flowers too.

ediblewoman Fri 12-Jul-13 20:43:33

Legally I wouldn't stop paying rent, although you may well be able to claim compensation for disrepair, speak to Shelter. In the short term if the house is unsafe you can apply as homeless and in your circumstances should be provided with emergency accommodation. In my area out of hours homeless services can be contacted via the police non emergency number. Please take advice from Shelter before Monday. Good luck and very unmumsnetty hugs

FlorIxora Sat 13-Jul-13 00:08:10

Complain to the above if we're talking about a big company, they will be members.

FlorIxora Sat 13-Jul-13 00:11:49

Also I believe the landlord should have to house you until the end of your contract.

They must (by law) have insurance to claim against, and can use it to a) have damage repaired B) pay to house you until end of contract.

Have you kept written records of your correspondence with the managing agent.

You should also consider making a claim for your damaged property (if any).

FlorIxora Sat 13-Jul-13 00:15:56

DO NOT STOP paying rent. If you have a contract, you would be in breach of it.

My friends (6 yrs ago) just rented a place (50+ block of new flats) and a crane fell on it and destroyed the whole building and they were put up in another place for the length of their contract.

SamHamwidge Sat 13-Jul-13 00:18:51

Talk to the council. If your home in uninhabitable and you have children I think they have a duty of care to provide you with emergency accommodation.

How awful. My heart goes out to you. Everyone else has good advice.

gaelicsheep Sat 13-Jul-13 00:43:59

Not part of Chancellors group? Crappola agents extraordinaire?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 13-Jul-13 01:08:27

Is it Foxtons?

kali110 Sat 13-Jul-13 02:30:13

Also speak to cab as they are fab

McGeeDiNozzo Sat 13-Jul-13 05:05:35

is OP in the UK?

GailTheGoldfish Sat 13-Jul-13 07:07:36

Get in touch with your local council and also ARLA as advised above (if they are members). Photograph the damage,try and get something in writing from the fire brigade. I'd be taking them to court over this.

AnnaFiveTowns Sat 13-Jul-13 07:27:41

If you stop paying rent they have grounds to kick you out. I'd call Shelter, they're very good. If you call CAB they will probably advise you to call them anyway. I used to work at cab and we'd always signpost to shelter.

Chants73 Sat 13-Jul-13 07:46:39

Get in touch with Environmental Health at your local council. They can serve notices on the landlord for condition of property.

DoJo Sat 13-Jul-13 10:07:31

Shelter can also help with the legalities of what you can do.

Relaxedandhappyperson Sat 13-Jul-13 10:28:27

Can't your partner help?

QueenofWhispers Sat 13-Jul-13 10:59:57

Good Morning ladies,

thank you for your advice. We stayed with a neighbour last night (the silver lining of my neighbourhood is that I have lovely lovely neighbours).

I wasn't able to access this thread after I posted because my electricity has been turned off while this leak continues. It has slowed down to a slow trickle but the leak is by no means over.

The landlords responded as soon as they could with apologies and a list of people they have cc'd into the thread of emails who are also neighbours and a part of the home owners association.

Property Managers control the money--landlords have been in a lengthy divorce so this management company are paid the rent+management fee's and have access to the insurance stuff...the landlords are trying to figure out how to help us, they are being truly apologetic and I do feel like they care; but I don't think they can do much because the management agency controls the property (at least until their divorce is final...I think.) They have both given written approval of accepting whatever costs to fix this asap...the only problem is management agent has to send out their 'approved' repair people and the management agent isn't here.

The emergency property management say they can't do too much because the repairs sound like they will cost far too much for them to authorise (despite being emailed by our landlords) and that the best person who can help us is our normal property manager...who is away.

I'm not sure if I can name the management company because I don't want this thread removed--because it is helping me to sort things out (as I am a foreigner and I don't know what my rights as a private tenant are)....however one of you has guessed the agents correctly. If that can help me any further.

*yes, I am in London sad

QueenofWhispers Sat 13-Jul-13 11:01:04

My DH is lovely, but he's not sure what can be done either. He's quite shy and thinks we should just sit tight and hopefully something will happen to make all of this 'go away'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now