We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not walk the terrier today? :(

(10 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Thu 11-Jul-13 13:49:26

I've just had the other two out and was on my way back for the terrier when I met another dog owner who warned me to be careful going that way because there is a loose, dog-aggressive dog wandering the streets. His friend phoned him to warn him because it attacked his large breed dog, who is now in the vets being stitched up sad He'd taken a big stick out on his walk to ward it off, but luckily didn't see it, however it was last seen wandering in an area very close to my house, so even if I went a different route to where we normally walk I couldn't guarantee not seeing it.

I've checked dog lost and informed the dog warden, who is out looking for it. They think they know where it is from and apparently this happens quite regularly angry

If it started on the terrier he would not back down, he'd not offer any calming signals, he would fight to the death and this dog is larger than him.

I can walk him tonight after work but it wouldn't until after midnight. We can do some clicker training and fetch in the gated alley in the meantime.

WWYD?

PeachActiviaMinge Thu 11-Jul-13 13:54:26

Safety first D0oin, I know you'd put the dogs first but its your safety that needs to be considered too. Play with the terrier in the garden and walk him this evening when the risk has passed.

MintyChops Thu 11-Jul-13 14:00:52

Walk him tonight and hopefully the other dog will be gone. I have a terrier too and if another dog is aggressive with him, no matter what size it is, he will attack back. That's terriers for you!!

Burmobasher Thu 11-Jul-13 14:01:44

Yanbu.
One missed walk won't hurt and he'll love the clicker training.

I'd do some training in the garden. I wouldn't risk my fear aggressive dog having a run in with an out of control stray. It's quite warm out now, too.

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 11-Jul-13 14:05:50

Yeah you're right. I'd pretty much already decided not to walk him, but was feeling guilty, though not as guilty as I'd feel if we did go and ran into the dog, which knowing my luck is bound to happen hmm

He does love his clicker training and had a good run out yesterday, so he's not climbing the walls or anything, routine is something we're not great on anyway, so he's not exactly expecting his walk right now, he knows he's due a walk today but normally that would happen anytime up until 10pm.

villagegossip Thu 11-Jul-13 14:33:10

No way would mine miss out on a walk because of the action or behaviour of another dog!

Can you drive to a walk locally if time / transport allows?

I wouldn't be able to just amuse them in the garden until later plus they don't like messing in the garden so i'd worry they would be holding on until later.

But if yours would be o.k with not going out properly then it will be fine in the short term. Hope the other dog gets caught soon and the owner fined for letting it get out!

GlitterFingers Thu 11-Jul-13 14:42:21

Mine has missed a few walks recently because of a loose dog. It's out all the time I've reported it every time I see it. He tried to attack my dog but luckily I managed to stop the little bastard. Really shook me up especially as I have to take dd in her pushchair it could of been a serious problem. Don't risk it not worth the fright

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 11-Jul-13 14:44:31

When I spoke to the DW she said this is going to be their last warning before she starts taking the dog to the pound and issuing release fines which she is hoping they won't pay so that the dog can be rehomed to a home in which it's needs will be met sad

I don't drive, so can't get away from the area without walking close to where the dog was last seen.

Hercy Thu 11-Jul-13 14:45:19

I wouldn't risk it.

Something else you could do it make a trail of treats in the garden. My trainer told me that sniffer dogs can only work half hour shifts because its so exhausting/stimulating. So hide some treats in the garden and get him to sniff them out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now