Talk

Advanced search

to expect a mobile phone signal in most parts of England

(10 Posts)
kim147 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:38:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Tue 09-Jul-13 22:41:51

so because it is the 21st century you want all the hills flattened, or a mast on each one?

you'll cope. Like we always used to do when we didn't expect to be able to make a phone call all the time without a landline or walking to a phone box.

Justforlaughs Tue 09-Jul-13 22:42:26

Lots of places are out of range of mobile phone masts, and frankly I don't want them spoiled by having masts built there. Maybe I am BU but I don't really care. grin

kim147 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:44:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LRDLearningKnigaBook Tue 09-Jul-13 22:59:27

Have you got skype? I've got virtually no mobile signal in my house, so I quite often call people via skype and the internet. It's often better, though I expect there are plenty of places so rural you've neither phone signal nor a decent wifi connection.

quesadilla Tue 09-Jul-13 23:05:17

It's not just remote and mountainous places either. My parents lived for years in a small village an hour's drive from London, Home Counties, where it was literally impossible to make or receive mobile calls.

It's one thing if you are in rural Wales or Suffolk, part of the charm of living there, but this was within commuting distance of London.

fossil971 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:13:40

I believe mobile internet needs more something (bandwidth?) so you don't get it as well as voice calls in remote places. They work on line of sight from the mast so if you are in a building and not near a window, or in a valley you're a bit stuffed.

Developing technology is more and smaller "masts" or "small cells" I think.

We have no signal in the our house either so we have a Sure Signal which is basically a one-house mobile signal "mast". But that's not much good when you're out and about.

PrincessScrumpy Tue 09-Jul-13 23:15:22

I live in the the west country and it's a permanent issue - government forgets we're not all in London smile

funkybuddah Tue 09-Jul-13 23:20:19

People keep protesting to new masts then get all pissy that there is limited signal.

Geeklover Tue 09-Jul-13 23:20:39

I live in the highlands. If I sit on my couch, my back doorstep or the left side of my bed I can't use my phone.
However if I walk ten minutes away into the woods not only can I get a fabby signal I get 3G too. Woop woop grin (small things and that)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: