Talk

Advanced search

Opinions....am I being mardy???

(24 Posts)
Lukat Sun 07-Jul-13 10:09:09

Hi all... Not sure if it's me being a mardy pants so need opinions....
My neighbour who we get along with is having massive extension built, in the week we have vans which constantly block my drive, I am polite and I do ask them to move as I am always in and out.... They have always moved and its very polite.
So.... Today is my and my dh only day off work and the plan was to Sit in the sunshine in the garden.....but neighbour has arranged for builders to come and do more work..... Drilling etc.... From 8am this morning.
I appreciate they want it finishing but really.... A Sunday?
Currently I am sitting in garden, their radio is blaring, drilling, hammering all this going on and builders are trying to talk to each other above this!!!
So my question is....do I put up with it as maybe I expected a peaceful afternoon or do I say something?

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 07-Jul-13 10:10:50

I think that's really selfish of them but tbh Im not sure I would be brave enough to say something

ImNotBloody14 Sun 07-Jul-13 10:13:26

oh that's awful! I would hate that too on a sunday (only day off for me) could you ask neighbour what time today the builders will be packing up at? maybe hint that you would really love it if they could take a half day?

Lukat Sun 07-Jul-13 10:14:21

Yes I think it's selfish too.....a few weeks ago the roof was going on and the roofers arrived on a Sunday at 6.30AM and was cutting roof tiles..... I did have something to say then as it WAS far too early......the lady of the house said sorry but the man never mentioned it...... My opinions have changed if him lately!!!

Bowlersarm Sun 07-Jul-13 10:14:40

Unfortunately I think that's the downside of having any building work. It starts off fitting in normal hours and then there is a mad scurry towards the end when the builders need to finish it if the jobs over running to be able to move to next job.

Very very annoying, but normal. Do you think they nearly have finished?

wonderingsoul Sun 07-Jul-13 10:15:23

i get that your annoyed. so would i.
but really. what would you say? it is highly likely they would just laugh at you and say no.

the work will be done soon. the weather hear to stay for this month at least.

why not go for a pun lunch then have a drink in the garden. a wonder through the park with icecream?

Sirzy Sun 07-Jul-13 10:15:39

I would rather it was done quickly than spread out over weeks. Pain for now I know but at least it will be done sooner.

I would probably request they started later on a Sunday though!

TimeofChange Sun 07-Jul-13 10:16:00

YANBU.
There is a law about builders NOT working on Sundays in residential areas.

Phone your council.

Littlefish Sun 07-Jul-13 10:16:48

I might be completely wrong, but I'm sure I've read somewhere on Mumsnet that builders are not allowed to work on Sundays, or past particular hours during the week. I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable will be along to advise you.

In the meantime, I wuld definitely ask them to turn their music off at the very least.

fanoftheinvisibleman Sun 07-Jul-13 10:16:49

I'd be mardy too but I would just grumble and mumble to myself rather than say anything.

BoffinMum Sun 07-Jul-13 10:19:35

I would check the council regs and ring them. They'll just laugh at you if you speak to them, as I know from experience.

Lukat Sun 07-Jul-13 10:24:35

When I say massive extension I mean MASSIVE..... Started about 2 months ago and still got loads to do..... Probably due to finish October time.... This is not a last minute mad dash..... It's a 'Sod the neighbours I want it NOW' kind of thing!
We could go out for lunch/park etc but I have a pool in garden for my children and have a lovely garden and furniture this year and just want to chuck on my old shorts n stroppy top... Not do my hair kinda day.... I have to look very smart for work 6 days a week and just wanted to ' not bloody bother' today.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 07-Jul-13 10:24:54

I don't think you're mardy at all. I would call the noise abatement people up and ask abut the rules.

LookMaw Sun 07-Jul-13 10:25:23

To the person up thread who said that a roofer started at 6.30am. You should have complained the council or trading standards. DP is a roofer and says it is against the law to start until 7.30am and 8am on a weekend.

However he has never heard of any law prohibiting him working on a Sunday!

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 07-Jul-13 10:26:15

Builders are not allowed to work in residential areas on Sundays or public holidays and they are not allowed to start before 8am or after 6pm unless they are carrying out essential emergency building work, wanting to get a job finished does not count as a emergency.

GiveMumABreak Sun 07-Jul-13 10:26:55

YANBU - how selfish of them!

I wouldn't bother saying anything though - once the building work is finished (soon hopefully) thing will return to normal and hopefully you can have your peaceful weekends back.

Your neighbours may be selfish aresholes but is it worth getting on a row with them?

nennypops Sun 07-Jul-13 10:27:11

I wouldn't necessarily start calling the council yet - you don't want to start all out war unnecessarily. But I would politely ask them not to arrange any building work at the weekend from now on.

RememberingMyPFEs Sun 07-Jul-13 10:27:51

They can't work past 6pm or do noisy work on Sundays

www.ukcontractors.net/builders-uk-is-there-a-set-time-builders-are-allowed-to-work-in-a-residential-area/

Maryz Sun 07-Jul-13 10:29:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

daisychain01 Sun 07-Jul-13 10:37:03

Very very frustrating YANBU. However, maybe think of the longer term relationship in terms of staying on good terms. IMO it would not be a good move to contact the council yet - its always better to settle disputes diplomatically first. Reporting to the authorities may create resentment and sour an otherwise friendly relationship.

Yes, you are having your time off spoilt by all that racket and din, but I agree with the good advice/opinions given by other posters here, in terms of thinking positively, the work will be finished sooner, and also why not go out for the day with a picnic.

Builders often have contractual incentives to finish by a certain time, which is why they are working on weekends but this does mean people like your goodselves end up suffering in the short term.

Could you knock on your neighbours' door and ask, in as "pleasant" a way as you can (difficult, I know!) please can your builders turn the radio down. Hopefully if they are reasonable people they will respond and tell their builders to keep the noise down. Maybe you could also find out if they have an approx. time to complete all the work, so you have an "end point" to look forward to!

Don't worry it will all be back to normal before too long!

GoldenGytha Sun 07-Jul-13 11:30:44

I can understand why this might be a problem for some people, but it wouldn't personally bother me.

Sunday is the longest, most boring day of the week, I hate them and can't wait for them to be over so I'd probably quite enjoy the noise and bustle of workmen.

Hope they finish the work soon, though, for your own sake!

Roshbegosh Sun 07-Jul-13 12:17:40

Whatever about the rights and wrongs, you don't want a neighbour dispute so deal with it calmly and reasonably or let it go.

Lukat Sun 07-Jul-13 12:30:28

I Deffo don't want to fall out with neighbours ....next time I see the I will ask nicely if anymore Sunday work is planned and let them know it frustrated me. wink

TNETENNBA Sun 07-Jul-13 15:24:50

I would speak to the nieghbours and the builders today if I were you. They both KNOW they are not allowed to work today. There isno need to be at all rude just tell them that you were disturbed today and that you would be grateful if they could assure you that this will. Be the last time they work out of hours.

They are not being nice nieghbours at the moment.

If they were normal, nice nieghbours they could have at least let you know, grovelled, promised it was a one off or whatever but they have done nothing just relied on the fact that they can probably get away with it.

If you have their email you may find it easier to write a short, polite email. Don't apologise.

Alternatively, you could call you Environmental Healths Out of Hours team to at least register your complaint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now