Advanced search

to expect to be paid

(48 Posts)
missingoutonacoolusername Wed 03-Jul-13 15:08:38

I look after a friends DC before and after school a few days a week when she goes to work. I'm not registered or anything but it works out for both of us and I charge her £10 per hour. She has recently been signed off work sick so doesn't need me. She offered to pay me for a couple of weeks as it was short notice but not for the full time she is off. Am I being unreasonable to ask to be paid seeing as she is being paid?

samandi Wed 03-Jul-13 19:34:42

£10 an hour is 2.5 times what a registered childminder around these parts gets

Is that per child?

ovenbun Wed 03-Jul-13 17:25:14

yabvu 'friend'

GiddyStars Wed 03-Jul-13 16:49:27

YABU. It's illegal to charge for childcare if you are not a registered provider. And you are charging her over double the going rate anyway. She should drop you and look elsewhere.

tethersend Wed 03-Jul-13 16:41:10

You have no employment rights in these type of fictional arrangements.

Bobyan Wed 03-Jul-13 16:38:51

1st post op?

Jinsei Wed 03-Jul-13 16:34:11

We don't know if it's illegal from the info that the OP has given, and we don't know for sure that she isn't paying tax on what she earns, but £10 an hour seems incredibly steep!

OP, YABVU to expect payment if you don't have any formal agreement in place. shock

MammaTJ Wed 03-Jul-13 16:32:33

I am guessing this is a reverse AIBU. Your mate still wants paying and you are asking if you should still pay her.

I am going to answer the same as everyone else, informal arrangement, cash in had, does not bring the security and perks a proper contract does.

Gingersstuff Wed 03-Jul-13 16:30:04

You are joking right?? £10 an hour is 2.5 times what a registered childminder around these parts gets...unless of course she has 3 kids or more in which case it'd be reasonable. You also sound as if you're acting illegally in a) not being registered and b) not declaring yourself to HMRC even if your earnings are under the taxable threshold.
I think your friend is off her head paying you £10/hour in the first place (assuming less than 3 kids) and you are off your head expecting her to pay you for not looking after her kids while she is off sick!!

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 03-Jul-13 16:28:49

Yes, you have to declare it and fill in forms even if you're under the limits.

and if you're self employed you still have to pay the ni unless you apply for low earnings exemption.

but if she's doing this in addition to other things, then it's more complicated.

I'm self employed.

a bit of cash for doing a mate a favour is exactly that. I don't think you can claim any sort of benefits such as getting paid when you're not actually working!

LIZS Wed 03-Jul-13 16:24:50

isn't the NI threshold lower than that ?

cogitosum Wed 03-Jul-13 16:22:47

Don't You still have to declare it even if no tax or NI is payable?

TimeofChange Wed 03-Jul-13 16:20:19

Unless the OP has another income or is earning more than £148 pw there would be NO tax or NI to pay.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 03-Jul-13 16:17:19

Yes. You are being unreasonable.

Are you declaring yourself as self employed? Declaring this income? Do you have a contract with her?

you can't have a casual arrangement when it suits you and expect the benefits of something formal and above board when it suits you.

It's one or the other.

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 03-Jul-13 16:15:43

No, I don't think you should be paid.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 03-Jul-13 16:13:36

if you are looking after in your home then what you are doing is illegal as you are acting as a cm and you freely admit you are not registered

if you posted this on the cm section they would all flip and quite rightly so

if a casual arrangement then assume will be paid in cash and prob not a contract so basically there is nothing you can do

imho i think your friend is being fair to pay you for a few weeks

GiveMumABreak Wed 03-Jul-13 16:13:33

YABVU! hmm

cogitosum Wed 03-Jul-13 16:12:47

If the child is over 7 and they are in England she doesn't have to be registered. Can't remember ages for scotland and Wales. It's a moot point though as i doubt tax and NI is being paid.

Yabu to expect to be paid if it's informal and £10 an hour seems a lot.

trackies Wed 03-Jul-13 16:09:10

wow ! YABVU. 1) it's illegal. 2) therefore it's an informal arrangement and you're lucky you get paid £10 at all, seeing that you are unregistered and have no contract and therefore no notice period.

samandi Wed 03-Jul-13 16:08:02

Ah - misread. Where are the children being looked after, and does that make a difference?

Sorry for multiple posts! Genuinely interested.

Squitten Wed 03-Jul-13 16:07:19


samandi Wed 03-Jul-13 16:05:56

The above wasn't in relation to tax issues, declaring income etc. btw - obviously the income should be declared. And I do think the OP is being unreasonable to expect payment when she isn't providing the service. But on the other hand, £10 doesn't sound a huge amount and £4 as suggested above would be lower than minimum wage.

samandi Wed 03-Jul-13 16:03:23

Hmm well I'm a bit confused as to the legality of babysitting/childminding, but from what I can gather it's not illegal to babysit for two hours a day or less in the parents' home. Perhaps things have changed. But it would be helpful if all those posters stating the OP is childminding illegally (presumably for any length of time, seeing as she hasn't said) would quote their sources, because I sure can't find any.

MrsBungle Wed 03-Jul-13 16:02:13

£10 an hour abs you're not even a registered childminder?! Wow. Surely that's grossly overcharging? Cm's round my way are about £4 per hour.

Yabu. You don't have a contract with her, just an adhoc arrangement.

angelos02 Wed 03-Jul-13 15:59:17

Do you declare your earnings to the taxman?

EarlyInTheMorning Wed 03-Jul-13 15:55:19

A friend?
£10 an hour?
And you want her to pay you even though she's not using you?
This is a reverse AIBU, right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now