Advanced search

to expect to be paid

(48 Posts)
missingoutonacoolusername Wed 03-Jul-13 15:08:38

I look after a friends DC before and after school a few days a week when she goes to work. I'm not registered or anything but it works out for both of us and I charge her £10 per hour. She has recently been signed off work sick so doesn't need me. She offered to pay me for a couple of weeks as it was short notice but not for the full time she is off. Am I being unreasonable to ask to be paid seeing as she is being paid?

VacantExpression Wed 03-Jul-13 15:10:15

A registered childminder would be cheaper for her surely?? I think YABVU!

nemno Wed 03-Jul-13 15:11:07

As it is such an informal arrangement I think a couple of weeks is fine, generous even.

Cherriesarelovely Wed 03-Jul-13 15:11:44

If it's a casual arrangement then I don't think you ought to be paid, sorry, you're not doing the job are you? I suppose if you then took on something else that meant you couldn't do it for her when she was well then that would be unfortunate for her but not your responsibility at all.

Cherriesarelovely Wed 03-Jul-13 15:12:12

Also, £10 is ALOT! Isn't it?

3littlefrogs Wed 03-Jul-13 15:12:15

Isn't what you are doing illegal?

Flossbert Wed 03-Jul-13 15:12:16

YABU. What nemno said.

wineandroses Wed 03-Jul-13 15:12:56

Yabu. This is an informal arrangement. Why should she pay you if you aren't having her children? The fact that she is being paid whilst on sick leave is irrelevant and none of your business.

Caitycat Wed 03-Jul-13 15:13:17


PatriciaHolm Wed 03-Jul-13 15:13:18

If you want the protection of employment, get registered and do it properly. You are presumably both aware you should be registered to take payment?

QueenofallIsee Wed 03-Jul-13 15:14:05

She would not have to pay a CM as much as she pays you and she would get government credits for a registered provider - so I think you would be VV cheeky to expect the benefit of an employment contract without paying tax!

Caitycat Wed 03-Jul-13 15:15:13

Sorry, sure you were fascinated by dd's contribution

FoofFighter Wed 03-Jul-13 15:17:04

You could well be operating illegally and breaking the law by doing what you are doing ( need more details to be sure of that) so I'd cut your losees and accept her generous offer. and get registered

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 03-Jul-13 15:23:06

As others have said: you are not employed/running a business so have no protection.

Are you declaring this income to HMRC?

Crinkle77 Wed 03-Jul-13 15:26:06

YABU. You have an informal arrangement and you are not registered and considering you are friends you are charging rather a lot.

LIZS Wed 03-Jul-13 15:28:22

She sounds overgenerous to me .

CloudsAndTrees Wed 03-Jul-13 15:29:14


Are you paying tax on what you earn? Or are you doing it cash in hand with no books in sight, seeing as you're unqualified and unregistered?

How can you possibly expect employee rights and perks if you aren't doing things properly?

rockybalboa Wed 03-Jul-13 15:30:44

YABU. Casual arrangement, no formal registration, quite a high hourly rate. Sounds like you've had it lucky! How exactly would you go about demanding payment anyway? You might want to think about things going forward so the issue doesn't crop up again.

Cluffyflump Wed 03-Jul-13 15:30:51

I'm with Caitycats Dd.
YABU for not being registered.

megsmouse Wed 03-Jul-13 15:31:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 03-Jul-13 15:31:26

YABU. You either need to register as a childminder and do this properly or you need to stop looking after her children.

LunaticFringe Wed 03-Jul-13 15:31:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ssd Wed 03-Jul-13 15:34:33

what you are doing is illegal

childminders are registered for a reason, not because they like all the hassle of it

If you lived near me you'd be reported

EarlyInTheMorning Wed 03-Jul-13 15:55:19

A friend?
£10 an hour?
And you want her to pay you even though she's not using you?
This is a reverse AIBU, right?

angelos02 Wed 03-Jul-13 15:59:17

Do you declare your earnings to the taxman?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: