Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to hate mothers who go on and on about how they think their children are marvellous

(78 Posts)
Klingyston Mon 01-Jul-13 20:06:27

Particularly one at school who does this all the time and in doing so puts my daughter down eg says hers is best at English in the class so by default better than mine. Really groom

Gravity1 Mon 01-Jul-13 20:09:13

YAdefNBU
I have exited Facebook for this reason. Its beyond tiresome to the point of offensive.

GinaTina Mon 01-Jul-13 20:09:54

Is her child brighter than yours? If so, do you care?

Yes nothing worse than a parent being proud of their children's successes.

Curse her.

GinaTina Mon 01-Jul-13 20:11:31

None of my facebook friends ever do this because they are better than yours

grin

JammyDodger1 Mon 01-Jul-13 20:11:43

Smile sweetly and say "that's lovely" and walk away, no point in giving it any space time or thought as it is immaterial in your life, walk away knowing your dc have your love and support.

GinaTina Mon 01-Jul-13 20:12:03

grin

Arsing link.

JesuslovesmethisIknow Mon 01-Jul-13 20:12:58

are YOU talking about me? wink

<flounces off --because Jarrod IS marvellous thank you very much-->

Corygal Mon 01-Jul-13 20:14:35

Boasting has never been considered attractive, even prior to FB.

Also, Other People's Children Are Boring (upper-class mantra that seems due for revival in our narc online age).

KikeriFreedomCastle Mon 01-Jul-13 20:15:39

What Jammy said.

And it smacks of insecurity, those who harp on about these things.

Caitycat Mon 01-Jul-13 20:15:44

But my daughter is the cleverest child ever to be born and you will never know about the goddess in your midst unless I tell you.

LookingForwardToMarch Mon 01-Jul-13 20:17:24

My daughter is totally marvellous!

She's 4 months old and I think she is brilliant.

I don't really care or expect you to though.

LookingForwardToMarch Mon 01-Jul-13 20:18:59

Maybe forget about comparing your child to others and spend your energy thinking of all the things that make your children amazing instead.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Mon 01-Jul-13 20:20:18

'That's nice...gotta dash.' Keep moving.

I can honestly say (and it's not a conscious effort) that I am largely unaware of the details of other children esp if someone attempting to Make A Point.

I think I must make vaguely be making all the right sounds but basically I only seem to process information about my own.

amazingmumof6 Mon 01-Jul-13 21:20:25

But Dahling, my kids are totally mahvellous! Innit?

marriedinwhiteagain Mon 01-Jul-13 21:25:52

In RL - yes they're fine, growing up fast, need to work harder, tiresome teenagers - oh the state of their nedrooms.

On here - they are gorgeous, so proud of them - looking at them now and I'm welling up.

littlewhitebag Mon 01-Jul-13 21:30:37

My children ARE marvellous. Sometimes a am totally amazed that i managed to produced two such smart, beautiful girls. But i would not ever put anyone's child down. That is not very nice. All children are amazing - even though with some you just have to look that bit harder to see it.

SacreBlue Mon 01-Jul-13 21:35:05

YANBU if they are putting your kids down, YUBalittlebitU if they are just celebrating their kids.

LizzieVereker Mon 01-Jul-13 21:40:31

Oh soz hunny, but I am just so proud of my lil' man and my princess, I would be a bad mummy not to tell everyone. Faaaahmily is just so important, innit? Like this status if you're proud to be a Mum! or if you want to be plagued by adverts for baby stuff and Fuggs forever

ShabbyButNotChic Mon 01-Jul-13 21:43:16

They arent BU to be proud of their kids, but they are BU to be putting down others and rubbing it in, if thats what they do. I work with kids and some parents honestly think the sub shines out of their mostly average offspring. Its nice to hear positive parents but when they go on about how little darling is top of the group i do have to grit my teeth. I think they forget i work in the school, know their childs teachers, an know exactly how average they are.

DeWe Mon 01-Jul-13 21:43:21

If someone said to me that their child was the best in the class I wouldn't think it was particularly putting mine down unless I'd just been boasting about them. it could be a statement of fact or a deluded parent anyway it wouldn't be true because mine are naturally the best at everything

Hassled Mon 01-Jul-13 21:47:57

I live in such perpetual fear of doing this that I am now guilty of making my children seem like thick-as-two-short-planks feral monsters (when the truth is obviously that they're the best children in the history of the world ever). And if they do really well in something I'm so wary of saying anything about it to people that they probably end up without the credit they deserve.

There's a middle ground - I do think you should be able to celebrate your child's achievements. Just tread carefully grin

thebody Mon 01-Jul-13 21:51:32

Sad thing is it makes you dislike the child.

worsestershiresauce Mon 01-Jul-13 21:56:42

Perhaps said child really is top in English. Stranger things have happened...

Emilythornesbff Mon 01-Jul-13 21:58:10

really?

If her child is top of the class in a subject then surely that's ok to be chuffed about.
I don't see that as putting others down, just a bit boastful.

amazingmumof6 Mon 01-Jul-13 22:03:10

<waves to Emily TBFF>

off topic - I still feel lost on
Mondays. you ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now