Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To have trouble sleeping away from home

(21 Posts)
monkeynuts123 Sun 30-Jun-13 19:22:54

Just that really. I am a grown-up honestly! Am I the only one who has difficulty sleeping away from home? It can make holidays exhausting, although I'm usually fine after the first couple of nights, it's like I can't relax enough to sleep properly in a strange place, no matter how nice. Does anyone else have this problem?

RandomMess Sun 30-Jun-13 19:25:59

Yep, we're not going to bother going away again, the lack of sleep for all of us just made it such hard work!

EricNorthmanIsMyMaker Sun 30-Jun-13 19:26:03

Me! I can never sleep in a strange bed. Takes at least 2 nights to get myself settled in. I have noticed that I'm not as bad when I'm breastfeeding - all that lovely sleepy hormone. But usually I'm rubbish.

snowynight Sun 30-Jun-13 19:26:14

Yes! I have to take an enormous amount of paraphernalia from home, including pillows and ear plugs, to get anywhere near a decent night.

Justforlaughs Sun 30-Jun-13 19:30:29

I can never sleep anywhere away from my own bed! Hate going on holiday as I come back more knackered than when I went. Will no doubt force myself again this year, but I WILL have my own pillow and duvet! No sleeping bags for me.

LordEmsworth Sun 30-Jun-13 19:35:18

I found a sleep mask helps - blocks out light, and stops my attention from wandering...

LindyHemming Sun 30-Jun-13 19:41:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Naebother Sun 30-Jun-13 19:44:45

Yep. I do.
Love my own bed.
Must be getting old as it didn't bother me when I was young.

BaldricksTurnip Sun 30-Jun-13 19:56:29

Yes I absolutely hate it. Feel really disturbed and unable to settle. Can do it if I have to but really don't enjoy it.

cardibach Sun 30-Jun-13 20:26:16

I have always found it difficult to sleep in a strange bed. It used to bother me, and the stress of bothering made me sleep even less well. Now I just accept it and find I am sleeping better in strange places then I ever have!

everlong Sun 30-Jun-13 20:29:42

If I'm there for more than a night I'm ok but if it's a stop over in a hotel overnight sometimes I only sleep for about 2 hours. Look and feel dreadful next morning!

Could you try and eye mask and ear plugs!

chesterberry Sun 30-Jun-13 20:34:06

For me it's the opposite. Takes me hours to get to sleep in my own bed as I toss and turn, but put me in a strange bed in a strange place and I'm out like a light.

zoobaby Sun 30-Jun-13 20:43:55

Same here. I need to wait 2 nights to allow exhaustion to set in before I get a decent rest during holidays. No idea if it's the bed, pillow, light, sounds, compass direction or whatever but it's nigh impossible to relax. Even more annoying when DP has no problem whatsoever.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 30-Jun-13 20:47:31

I find it really hard. I am staying in hotels quite a bit for work at the moment and struggling - I came back shattered after a two night trip this week as despite the lack of small children I saw every hour on the first night.

mummy1973 Sun 30-Jun-13 20:57:30

Me too. Exhausting till night 3.

quietbatperson Sun 30-Jun-13 21:09:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonderingsoul Sun 30-Jun-13 21:14:42

at my parents i dont mind. hotels i love.

a friends.. not so m uch i feel on edge the whole time.

timidviper Sun 30-Jun-13 21:30:44

I can't sleep away from home either. Holidays and hotels are a nightmare but staying at friends' even worse. Like many of you it takes 2-3 nights before I can sleep.

valiumredhead Sun 30-Jun-13 21:32:49

Me too !

BettyandDon Sun 30-Jun-13 21:40:26

I could sleep anywhere seriously. Don't envy you!

What I really miss is sleeping when you know you won't get woken up. Been 3 years now...

I love really quiet dark places and was recently inspired to make my bedroom all white after a trip to the Sanderson.

whats4teamum Sun 30-Jun-13 21:55:22

I find getting very pissed helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now