Talk

Advanced search

To start planning for Christmas now........

(15 Posts)
Halfcups Sun 23-Jun-13 11:09:35

After a dreadful Christmas Day last year I vowed 2013 would be different. I m a lone parent with three dc aged 6,4,2. I m open to any suggestions to an alternative to being in the family home on The Big Day. Please help...

buzzgirly Sun 23-Jun-13 11:12:16

There is an ongoing thread in the Christmas section for planning for all of us enthusiasts. Come and join us www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/1644089-so-its-onlyhere

McNewPants2013 Sun 23-Jun-13 11:12:49

book to go away.

CSIJanner Sun 23-Jun-13 11:14:24

Some hotels do good deals, especially if you park in advance - just make sure that they have a heated pool

TSSDNCOP Sun 23-Jun-13 11:29:33

Could you go out for lunch? You've got bags of time to scope out a restaurant that'd be good for your kids age range. Then when you get home open some more presents, watch a DVD all snuggled under blankets.

Boxing Day: lovely long walk in woods or on a beach, leftovers for a late lunch. Play with toys and another DVD.

gordyslovesheep Sun 23-Jun-13 11:55:18

I've started our own little traditions - I am alone with 3 aged 10,9 and 4 - we do new things now just the 4 of us - it's nice to build new memories

You could go away - I like being home at Christmas

jojane Sun 23-Jun-13 12:14:01

If you wanted to go away butlins do Christmas breaks, lots to entertain kids etc.
With small kids like yours (mine are the same age) I would stay home and just do lots of xmassy stuff, bake mince lies, watch Xmas films, put out stuff for Santa, they will have lots of toys to open and play with and believe me being somewhere else for Xmas where you won't let them open new Lego wtc in case they lose pieces isn't fun for anyone!
Do you have family that could come over?

Halfcups Sun 23-Jun-13 17:36:17

No family unfortunately. Dead or estranged!

chanie44 Sun 23-Jun-13 17:52:34

Don't forget about the run up to Xmas

Trip to see Santa
Elf on the shelf
Xmas crafts
Decorating the tree

buildingmycorestrength Sun 23-Jun-13 18:52:01

You could totally blow the budget on this?

http://finland.nordicvisitor.com/travel-deals/finland-tours/christmas-adventure-in-finnish-lapland/376/

grin

Chottie Sun 23-Jun-13 18:52:38

I think you are being very wise planning ahead. I have started buying table and stocking presents already too.

Wishing you and your DC a very happy Christmas smile

TimeofChange Sun 23-Jun-13 19:14:26

I did open this thinking you were going to be an ultra organised woman Anthea Turner, but I now can see exactly why you are planning Xmas now.

Xmas can be such a lonely, crappy time.
I have only one DC, but always had a houseful of kids - except at Xmas.
The one year my parents were away in OZ we bought a second scalextric, so we had something 'exciting' to play all day.

I wouldn't bother going to Finland, even you you have the cash available, as at least one child is likely to be ill!

How much budget do you have and how long would you want to be away for?
Do you have a car?

TimeofChange Sun 23-Jun-13 19:22:32

Cor blimey, A log cabin for four nights with Forest Holidays, from 23rd Dec is around £1200.

That's a lot of money!

But could be brilliant.

It all depends on funds available really.

StuntGirl Sun 23-Jun-13 19:32:57

Do you want to just be out of the house for the day, or are you thinking of going away altogether, say for a week over Christmas or something?

buildingmycorestrength Sun 23-Jun-13 19:46:58

Seriously, going away at Christmas is hugely, depressingly expensive. Barring any friends who might want visitors, I think it would be utterly lovely to hunker down and make your own Christmas. Older kids are old enough to tell you their favourite parts of the day, and you can go at their pace and cook whatever you all like.

With no grumpy grandma or FW, it will be better than last year and about the kids. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now