Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think Gove should think and consult a bit more before making an announcement (history U-turn)

(94 Posts)
kim147 Sat 22-Jun-13 13:40:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MixedClassBaby Sat 22-Jun-13 13:51:57

You're not wrong. Abolition of assessment levels is the latest... It's exhausting to keep up with and time consuming to keep signing petitions, participating in 'consultation' processes etc. Perhaps it's intended to be a war of attrition?

dreamingofsun Sat 22-Jun-13 13:52:35

i wish he would make a u-turn on adult education funding. you have to be 19+ to qualify now, so my offspring will have to wait an extra year before they can study for a really important exam....one they need to go to uni. An OAP though, would still be funded - where's the logic in that?????

EdgarAllanPond Sat 22-Jun-13 14:00:30

i just wish he - or any other minister - would stick to evidence based policy making rather than the 'announce and bounce' approach.

you know, leak one policy and then pull it when it gets ripped apart by the press.

Blissx Sat 22-Jun-13 14:01:36

I swear he does this on purpose. Leaks a contraversial headline that causes an uproar, then slightly changes it to something that sounds better and people will accept. I knows exactly what he is doing-and it's all to feather his political nest and nothing to do with educating the next generation.

EdgarAllanPond Sat 22-Jun-13 14:04:43

i think someone in the ministry leaks these half-baked schemes to make him look like a twat tbh.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Sat 22-Jun-13 14:15:02

I'm sorry, I just love the phrase 'poised to backtrack'. It conjures up unlikely images.

I think bliss might be right.

DangerousBeanz Sat 22-Jun-13 14:26:54

I wish he'd just resign and let someone who:-
a) understands something about ordinary children
b) understands something about how children learn
c) understands something about education
d) wants to work with teachers and parents for the benefit of children and not follow his own weird agenda,
take over and undo the damage he has done,and help everyone in education work together towards ensuring a great education for all our children. One where they are allowed to be individuals and not just rats on an exam treadmill.

faeriefruitcake Sat 22-Jun-13 16:04:30

Gove is the most poisonous idiot in charge of education I can remember in 19 years of teaching.

He's beyond a joke, his ideas laughable and the damage to young lives he is causing is going to take years to overcome.

Eyesunderarock Sat 22-Jun-13 16:07:00

Do you think he got annoyed at people saying his first effort was ike '1066 and All That' without the jokes, so he decided to make primary history end at 1066?

lordleofric Sat 22-Jun-13 16:22:19

think and consult? not really his style, is it?

fairylightsinthespring Sat 22-Jun-13 18:29:32

although, just to play devils advocate a bit, you could argue that if he received lots of criticism and DIDN'T change his mind, that would be worse. I agree though, that he should be better advised in the first place, purely so he doesn't look quite so bad!

kim147 Sat 22-Jun-13 19:09:08

pointythings Sat 22-Jun-13 19:20:50

I'm glad he's changed his mind, the revised version sounds almost sensible.

I don't trust him not to have intended him all along in order to portray himself as 'listening'.

I still believe that everything he does is to further his agenda of taking David Cameron's place. Heaven help us if he ever does, if he starts making foreign policy the same way he's done with education he'll be the one who starts WW3.

EvilTwins Sat 22-Jun-13 19:25:26

YANBU, though I don't think it will happen, ever. Gove lives in his own little world and cares not a jot what anyone else thinks.

Eyesunderarock Sat 22-Jun-13 20:06:21

I'm just so glad that both of mine are out of the school system now, it's only going to get more chaotic, fragmented and muddled.
Decades of little guinea pigs will be experimented on and spun around til they haven't a clue about anything and parents will be offered a leaflet on stress-management in under 12s and how to manage an ulcer through diet.

soverylucky Sat 22-Jun-13 20:14:46

nobodysbaby Sat 22-Jun-13 20:27:06

Sovery, I agree with every word you say and am seeing just the same things in my own school. I've taught for 20 years and this is the lowest morale has ever been.

EvilTwins Sat 22-Jun-13 20:34:42

sovery great post.

I teach in a fairly small secondary. So many teachers are leaving. At last count, we had 6 off with stress- out of a teaching staff of approx 40- that's a huge proportion.

soverylucky Sat 22-Jun-13 20:45:53

EvilTwins Sat 22-Jun-13 20:46:37

Already there!

EvilTwins Sat 22-Jun-13 20:47:54

Might email Gove to tell him that I drove to a student's house this afternoon to lend him a book because he has to learn lines for a play and he'd left his book at school. And Gove thinks we don't care????

SuburbanRhonda Sat 22-Jun-13 20:55:32

Edgar, Gove doesn't need anyone to make him look a twat.

He is a twat.

pointythings Sat 22-Jun-13 20:55:40

EvilTwins he probably wouldn't care, unless it was the collected works of Dryden or something else 'rigorous'. sad

EvilTwins Sat 22-Jun-13 20:57:10

God no, it was a play called Arson About. Modern and interesting and fun. Gove would detest it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now