Talk

Advanced search

AIBU wedding threads

(52 Posts)
LifeSavedbyLego Wed 19-Jun-13 21:26:02

There seems to be a plethora of wedding threads at the moment and it making my teeth itch.

Why I hear you ask?

Well seen as you ask I shall tell you...

Because everyone I know is sodding married sometimes more than once or very single. I haven't been to a wedding for years and none on the horizon. So no gift list angst for me. No child ban issues to sort. NO BLOODY WEDDINGS. To make matters worse all the child free weddings we were invited to were when the dc were to little to leave. ARGH.

So no pretty frocks, no fizz on the terrace no naff disco. NOTHING.

<sob>

I haven't been asked to be a godparent either, though to be fair I'm not eligible - but not frankly the point.

So instead of slipping on heels this weekend I'll be whacking on the hiking boots for yet another invigorating walk with two over excited children.

Waaaaaaah!

crashdoll Wed 19-Jun-13 21:30:55

I hate weddings. <misery guts>

Bue Wed 19-Jun-13 21:31:40

I have a couple of weddings this year, but the brides are maddeningly nice and sensible! Where's the fun in that? The most I can hope for is that my chronically late friend won't write a thank you note! Watch this space.

morticia74 Wed 19-Jun-13 21:33:23

I think that anyone who wants to get married and have a big wedding should, as part of the preparations, read these threads......they'll soon realise that living together is the best option lol

LifeSavedbyLego Wed 19-Jun-13 21:34:56

Bue. There is no fun in that. I only know sensible brides, too. One even had the temerity to put together a bag of age appropriate toys for each child going, I mean WTF. The children even got proper food not chicken nuggets and chips. I ask you.

HighInterestRat Wed 19-Jun-13 21:36:30

I love weddings. Sometimes I think people on MN come across as very bitter. I think some of us maybe didn't get the weddings or marriages we wanted (but won't admit to it) and therefore can't stand it when someone else makes a fuss or spends more than a tenner on their cake or whatever. Or perhaps we are too long in the tooth now to remember how young and hopeful happy and excited we were back then. grin

Either way, I really enjoy them. Happy to comply with any strange dress codes / naff poems involved if I care about the couple.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 19-Jun-13 21:37:55

I feel your pain. I miss a good wedding, haven't been to one for ages.

LaGuardia Wed 19-Jun-13 21:37:57

Weddings are the work of the Devil himself.

Charlesroi Wed 19-Jun-13 21:41:12

YABU. I love the wedding threads on here because the utter looniness of some of them Cheers me up no end.
Haven't been invited to any weddings? No problem - simply organise a blessing/rededication ceremony complete with
- price list for food
- cringeworthy poem
- tasteless colour scheme
- Harrods gift list

Then we can talk about you grin

MsVestibule Wed 19-Jun-13 21:42:10

I'm, like, really old and can count on one hand (maybe two), the number of weddings I've been to. And apart from my sister being her usual arsey self about my bridesmaid duties, how I did my hair, who paid for the dresses etc they've all been perfectly fine, no rudeness, lots of consideration for the guests etc.

Very disappointing.

DameFanny Wed 19-Jun-13 21:43:20

Ooh, yes. Renew your views. I have a hat.

DameFanny Wed 19-Jun-13 21:43:59

(aren't dedication ceremonies for buildings?)

morticia74 Wed 19-Jun-13 21:44:18

Charlesroi that is so true! What would we do if we couldn't bitch about other people's bad taste?

PrincessOfChina Wed 19-Jun-13 21:47:00

We go to at least three weddings a year and they've all been lovely to date. Especially the ones that bar children.

reggiebean Wed 19-Jun-13 21:50:57

Sorry to hi-jack your post, OP, but can someone show me the wedding poem please? It is referenced in every wedding thread (including this one) and it sounds like a can't-be-missed sort of thing...

LifeSavedbyLego Wed 19-Jun-13 21:54:31

Princess. Now the dc are old enough to ship of to the grandparents for the weekend I do find myself hankering after a child free wedding.

I love the wedding threads! I do. Honest guv.

I just love to go to a wedding as well.

Hassled Wed 19-Jun-13 21:55:35

I have a wedding this year and it's the first (apart from my own, which was very low-key) in more than a decade. And yes, I want to get pissed and embarrassing in a nice frock and hat too. I want to be those people in Four Weddings and a Funeral.

AKissIsNotAContract Wed 19-Jun-13 21:56:08

I'm getting married in September, wanna come?

LifeSavedbyLego Wed 19-Jun-13 21:56:53

Hmm a dedications are for buildings, and whilst I may be more that slight I was hoping not to be confused with a brick shit house just yet a while.

LifeSavedbyLego Wed 19-Jun-13 21:57:46

akiss. I'd love too! I would buy a hat but my head is too enormous- will this be a problem?

ChaoticTranquility Wed 19-Jun-13 21:58:52

YABU. I love the wedding threads on here because the utter looniness of some of them Cheers me up no end.

^^ This...

Charlesroi Wed 19-Jun-13 22:04:19

I'm getting married in September, wanna come?

If you've got any outrageous demands, I'm in. I'll even bring an Argos voucher and a packed lunch wink.

Congratulations, btw.

LifeSavedbyLego Wed 19-Jun-13 22:13:53

On reflection I've decided it is all DH's fault, as are most things.

It is his friends that very single. Lovely chaps very academic, head in the clouds deodorant in the shop types He owes me a good three weddings I reckon.

Triumphoveradversity Wed 19-Jun-13 22:21:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AndHarry Wed 19-Jun-13 22:27:11

I haven't been invited to a wedding in 2 years sad Maybe I should put a posh frock on and settle down at the nearest picturesque church one Saturday. Hopefully I'll be accepted as a distant cousin and be able to raid the buffet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now