Advanced search

After quick answers please, I know it's wrong area but Mumsnet never lets me down..

(34 Posts)
JeeanieYuss Tue 18-Jun-13 23:51:54

Ok , so briefly a rumour has been started at my daughters school (yr5/6)
, this thing did used to be true however hasn't been for years and am so angry my daughter has been subjected to it.

Can I see a solicitor as this one Mum is basically slandering me, will i get legal aid (am single parent atm, not working as have no childcare and am starting college in Sept, so please no judgyness) : )

I am so angry , but I want it dealt with the correct way. Am meeting with teachers to see what they say but I basically want this stopped in it's tracks and if a scary letter from solic can help I will do it.

Hope this makes sense, an typing quickly amd am exhausted, so need my bed, so good night.... And thankyou 'Oh wise MN'ers grin

HollyBerryBush Wed 19-Jun-13 06:09:54

Slander and Libel are bother civil law not criminal, therefore you are not going to get legal aid.

Some bright spark once said libel/slander cases are the province of the rich who have far too much money and far too much time on their hands.

Cherriesarelovely Wed 19-Jun-13 07:02:22

What a nasty woman, so sorry this has happened. I would go into the school and talk to them about it. We had a rumour circulating about Dd at school (not true). The headteacher was really sympathetic, acted imediately, spoke to the children and said if that didn't stop it she would speak to the parents. Fortunately it did stop. Really well done for getting off and staying offdrugs though, you are a strong, inspiring mum.

EmmelineGoulden Wed 19-Jun-13 08:03:06

You won't get legal aid, but you could see if a solicitor would take you on a no win/no fee basis. Seems unlikely though.

I can see why you're angry about it. I would be furious too. But I suspect your best bet for helping your daughter and squashing the rumour mill in school is to do as Waffly suggests and see if you can address a whole-school assembly.

jessjessjess Wed 19-Jun-13 09:15:28

I honestly don't think legal action is actually going to solve the problem. I think you should offer to do a talk as suggested above.

I also think you should talk to this mum, face to face. Not in a temper. Don't ask her to stop talking about you. Show her why she shouldn't. Be PAINFULLY polite.

I would say something like: "I just wanted you to know that I understand why you might feel the need to talk about me. But if you're going to gossip, I'd really rather you told the full story. Yes, I took drugs. I went through two major bereavements - my mum and my baby - in a short space of time. I didn't always make the right choices. I'm not ashamed to admit that because nobody is perfect and I certainly don't claim to be."

"But I unmade those choices. I am clean. I do not do drugs any more. It would have been easy to carry on, but I didn't. I don't mind people knowing I made those mistakes once, but I didn't go through all of that just to have someone insist I'm still using when I'm not. I'm sorry if my past frightens you. Just think how I must feel about it."

Then walk away, with your head held high.

Kinnane Wed 19-Jun-13 09:34:02

JeeanieYuss, I'm sure the school will have the knowledge in how to deal with this, so please talk to them.

LokiTheCynicalCat Wed 19-Jun-13 09:59:40

Wow tequila if you hoick your judgey pants any higher you could floss your teeth with them.

The OP has taken responsibility for her past mistakes, and has learned from it, and by all accounts is doing very well. What a horrid thing to say.

TempusFuckit Wed 19-Jun-13 19:24:22

It's not libel as that has to be published, and this is just verbal.

To sue for slander you would have to prove financial loss.

Don't waste time and money on lawyers. I agree with those who say front it out.

WafflyVersatile Wed 19-Jun-13 21:55:26

What jessjessjess says. Polite, calm, understanding. Even if you mostly just want to clock her. and Kinnane too. Get the teachers onside.

MadameDefarge Wed 19-Jun-13 22:40:17

you used to be able to get legal aid for malicious falsehood, ie if the person spreading the rumour knows it is not true.

worth checking it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now