Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to adopt a snow leopard for my dd's 8th bday?

(22 Posts)
Lonelybunny Tue 11-Jun-13 22:39:11

My DD always nags how she wants to adopt a snow leoprd when the ad comes on tv. But is it just for the soft toy ? Do we actually get a names leopard or any info ? Is this a good gift ? Or am I being stupid and being sucked in to something that's doesnt actually help leopards ?

shallweshop Tue 11-Jun-13 22:41:52

Not sure tbh but my 8 year old DD is the same. We have just agreed that she can do it using one weeks pocket money per month.

Lonelybunny Tue 11-Jun-13 22:47:28

Well I was going to do it as a birthday gift ? She gets very upset every time the advert comes on ? But also mentions you get a toy one hmm when you sign up , I can't really see the harm ? It's a good cause I hope

aldiwhore Tue 11-Jun-13 22:58:03

If she's asked for it, then do it. Even if it is just for the cuddly toy initially, if she gets upset at the advert it does appear that it runs deeper and the toy is simply a physical bonus, which it is.

I was all prepared to say "If you want a snow leopard adopt one yourself and buy your child a gift she can open!" but, as this has come from HER, YANBU at all to give her what she wants... even if it's not a great as she thinks it will be, it's still money well spent!

CharlieCoCo Tue 11-Jun-13 23:01:25

I would imagine you get letters and photos of your snow leopold throughout the year, so even if she initally just wants the cuddly toy, she would soon enjoy and learn about them through the updates and its a good way to teach her stuff about charity and extinction etc. if she gets upset seeing the adverts, imagine how wonderful she would feel when she gets a letter 'from' the leopold she is helping.

Lonelybunny Tue 11-Jun-13 23:06:36

That's what I'm thinking , I will sign up for it , thank you

Lonelybunny Tue 11-Jun-13 23:17:42

Just looked minimum is £3 per month and u can sign up to kids thing for extra £1.50 where they get stickers, bag, magazines etc , I think she will love it

WhiteBirdBlueSky Wed 12-Jun-13 00:27:28

You don't get your own named snow leopard, whose progress you can track, but you do get a certificate, and info and e mails. And the toy is sweet.

lottiegarbanzo Wed 12-Jun-13 00:30:54

Is it with WWF? They do this well, money goes to conservation, you get a toy, info and letters. I have a tiger smile

Jinsei Wed 12-Jun-13 00:50:23

DD sponsors a snow leopard. It was a Christmas gift from her grandparents, suggested by me - I don't usually donate to animal charities but dd used to cry every time the ad came on, so I thought the gift would be well received.

She was absolutely thrilled with it! smile The toy was actually very nice and the certificate is in a frame on her wall. She doesn't have her "own" leopard but she has learned lots about them and the advert now gives her a warm fuzzy feeling instead of making her cry. I think it's a good gift if you're looming for something a bit different.

CatOfTheDay Wed 12-Jun-13 01:04:11

DP has a tiger through the Born Free Foundation that I got him for Christmas! He wanted a real one, but it was the closest I could manage.

He has a certificate and gets a newsletter updating him on his particular tiger every couple of months.

It sounds like a lovely gift smile

Lonelybunny Wed 12-Jun-13 09:07:07

Does seem like a nice gift and think she will love it, thanks everyone for your input smile

ScarletLady02 Wed 12-Jun-13 09:08:52

I'd go for it! I'd have loved that, and it's brilliant that she's into conservation at a young age.

mrsjay Wed 12-Jun-13 09:11:08

ok you get the toy and quaterly(sp) magazines they are all ready named while I think it is a wonderful idea I honestly dont think it is aimed at children we got DD an orangutan for a birthday and the newsletters were quite serious and not aimed at young children at all IYSWIM

mrsjay Wed 12-Jun-13 09:12:24

this was WWF you can get them elsewhere that might be more child centered I know I am being a bit of a killjoy but to get kids interested in conservation then the wording of magaziens need to be aimed at their age group imo

WhiteBirdBlueSky Wed 12-Jun-13 09:18:48

You're right, mrsjay that the tone and wording of the WWF stuff is very serious. But my DD is 5 and not a serious child at all and she loves it. She's learned lots of facts. So I wouldn't discount it on those grounds.

Leeds2 Wed 12-Jun-13 10:10:57

At some zoos, if you adopt an animal you get, as part of the package, two tickets to the zoo to go and visit your animal (just as an ordinary visitor, not to "meet" it), and they put your name on a plaque on the zoo wall. I can't remember the details, but someone bought my dad one at Whipsnade Zoo many years ago.

cantdecideonanewname Wed 12-Jun-13 10:37:29

We've done this for our DD also 8yo, she was upset by the advert and still is but she's pleased that she's doing her bit to help.

DD pays for it herself and I'm proud of her that she's willing to give up some of her own money. Like others have said you get 3 updates a year on the work the charity is doing.

lottiegarbanzo Wed 12-Jun-13 10:39:02

For something else aimed at children (though you say there's a child package available with the snow leopard and I imagine WWF must have a child membership scheme, so it's probably really good), get junior or family membership to your local Wildlife Trust. They run 'Watch' groups for children, with all sorts of activities. Many also offer sponsored animals with cuddly toys, British obv, so otters, barn owls etc and you might be able to get a sponsorship / membership package.

Like WWF you will share your animal and won't get to meet it individually but that's the point, it's about supporting conservation work to keep the species going in the wild and seeing that as more important than being able to pat a captive animal on the nose occasionally. Of course you are more likely to see an actual otter or barn owl than a snow leopard - but the possibility of being able to do that when she grows up, even if notional, is pretty compelling. They could easily be extinct, as could wild tigers.

freddiefrog Wed 12-Jun-13 10:48:47

My nearly 8 year old adopted a snow leopard last year, she got quite upset at the advert (and wanted the cuddly toy)

The newsletters she gets are fairly child suitable, as far as I remember we've had them with word searches and games, information and pictures, but nothing horrific or graphic, a couple of pens and some of those rubber wrist bands.

mrsshackleton Wed 12-Jun-13 10:51:43

DD2 was "given" one for her 5th birthday, great present she adores the toy, she is fascinated by the info pack they sent her - hers were 3 individually named leopards in Siberia. DD1 adopted a polar bear, and loved that too. Excellent present ime, educational - lasts all year, far better than a piece of disposable plastic.

mrsjay Wed 12-Jun-13 15:48:38

maybe the newsletters have changed which is good we adopt from an animal sanctuary now and we get a yearly free entry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now