Talk

Advanced search

to let a house to someone with a ccj?

(54 Posts)
lordleofric Sun 09-Jun-13 18:25:13

We have used a letting agency to find a tenant. They have found one but he has a ccj. He is in full-time employment and claims that he didn't know about the ccj. He has offered a large deposit (6 weeks rent) and a guarantor. Wwyd?

hiddenhome Sun 09-Jun-13 18:27:41

Probably not (dh is a LL).

If you do decide to, check your insurance - they may not agree to give you Landlords insurance for someone with a ccj.

CloudsAndTrees Sun 09-Jun-13 18:28:30

How did the ccj come about and how much for? Can he show that he is paying it off responsibly?

It wouldn't be an outright no from me, but I would expect the large deposit, evidence of his wage, excellent references, and proof that the guarantor can easily pay if need be.

AKissIsNotAContract Sun 09-Jun-13 18:28:38

How could he not know? I wouldn't let to him.

trinity0097 Sun 09-Jun-13 18:28:55

I would have said yes until I heard he claimed to not know about it.

Bunraku Sun 09-Jun-13 18:29:54

Any way you can find out what the ccj is for? Some companies are very forthcoming with ccjs in difficult periods. I have one from Severn trent that I did not know about until I checked my file as I moved house and notified them and they sent the final bill and also the court forms to my dad's address rather than the new one on file. I will never know why, but I was in a position of bereavement and didn't have the strength to argue it out. I was always very open about this on my applications for rental properties.

LastTangoInDevonshire Sun 09-Jun-13 18:37:28

So, he has a CCJ that he says he didn't know about and he's basically had it - no-one will give him a chance? FFS

Mugofteaforme Sun 09-Jun-13 18:40:17

Baring in mind you can get a CCJ after going into default for a mobile phone bill of less then £50 (and you know how diabolical some of their dealings are) id just try and get a little back ground information.Additionally I believe a CCJ stays on your credit file for six years so that tenants financial affairs may have improved greatly in recent years. In a recession bad things happen to the best of us. Well worth a little leg work.

Mawgatron Sun 09-Jun-13 18:43:48

I had one afte I left a student house and someone took a catalogue out in my name. Didn't realise for about 2 years!

ShamelessHussey Sun 09-Jun-13 18:46:32

Crikey.
I am going to have to move early next year.
I dont have any CCJ but I have a load of defaults.
I am on a debt management plan, and have paid off 40k over 6 years. I have 3 yrs to go, and have never missed a payment.
I am now in a better place financially, with a good job and have been offered a better one but that means I can't stay in my current flat as its linked to my work.

Do I stand a chance at all?

xylem8 Sun 09-Jun-13 18:46:55

Have you got a reference from his last LL I would attach a lot more weight to that , than a single ccj tbh

ActionLog Sun 09-Jun-13 18:50:25

Depends what your other options are. If you have multiple potential tenants desperate to rent from you then that is somewhat different to having been v lucky to find one interested.

I would want to know more about the ccj certainly before proceeding with him.

Choccywoccydodah Sun 09-Jun-13 18:51:57

How old is the ccj?
We are LLs, mainly multllet, but we sole let one house. The family we let to are fabulous, but he had a ccj from 5 years ago due to an illness he had and had to give up work at the time and fell behind on mortgage payments. He was very upfront with us, and they've been fabulous tenants. Whether it's because they want to prove themselves I'm not sure, but a year later payments have always been on time smile

MNBlackpoolandFylde Sun 09-Jun-13 18:53:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

allgoodindahood Sun 09-Jun-13 18:55:37

Shameless, I'm in exactly the same position as you. I've made enquiries and it seems that only public records show up in LL credit reference checks. E.g. IVA,CCJ and bankruptcy. Other debts can be seen by lenders and financial institutions offering credit which LL are not. Do you have any of those recorded against you? It is possible to check. Hth

ShamelessHussey Sun 09-Jun-13 19:16:35

Thats a relief.
Sorry for the hijack OP.

lordleofric Sun 09-Jun-13 19:18:34

We'd let a house to you, Shameless. wink

ShamelessHussey Sun 09-Jun-13 20:01:05

Thanks.
I'll get in touch in Jan. wink
Hope you manage to get a nice tenant.

elfycat Sun 09-Jun-13 20:13:25

I had a ccj for council tax from a shared house. It was just after the poll tax had been abolished and I'd been on job seekers (or equivalent back then) so we'd try applying time after time so we could claim relief for it but they were running behind.

It caught up about 2 years after we'd left and I was liable for all 3 of us at the full rate. Very pissed off but I sent them a cheque. I had an amazing credit rating when I applied for a mortgage another 2 years down the line. Getting into a bit of a pickle with money and coming out the other side is a positive thing.

Now I'm a LL and I would let to someone with a ccj. Better than the bleeding accountant who did one owing us rent, and we had to deal with bailiffs and police.

specialsubject Sun 09-Jun-13 20:20:20

get the full story - but if you have rent guarantee/legal expenses insurance, find out if it will still cover you with this. If not, and he is one of those people who sees no reason to pay the rent, you are in for months of trouble and a lot of expense.

TraceyTrickster Mon 10-Jun-13 11:50:09

we had an application from a guy with a couple of ccjs. I asked him to explain...tricky divorce, bills in his name, wife ignored and he knew nothing.
He offered to pay a few months rent up front,, was very honest, understood our barrage of questions and so far...all has been fine (9 months in)

CMOTDibbler Mon 10-Jun-13 11:58:18

I would - a friend has found they had 3 CCJs that they knew nothing about after splitting from their abuser who had been controlling all the family money and spending it on things rather than the household bills and concealing it all.

NatashaBee Mon 10-Jun-13 12:07:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SusanneLinder Mon 10-Jun-13 12:15:10

He may not have known about the CCJ, as most now go through Northampton County Court on a Bulk Clearing thing, and it could be for anything eg mobile phone contract, moved house and a bill didnt follow etc.

I would ask for more information, how long ago was it, what was amount, who was creditor etc etc?

PrettyKitty1986 Mon 10-Jun-13 12:18:42

It would depend on the circumstances of the ccj and my gut feeling.

Df and I have a ccj for £19k against us ATM. We didn't know about it until we did a credit check 2 years later, so that is possible. We took out our mortgage in the days of the 125% mortgage, so had the secured mortgage and the unsecured extra loan. About 5 years ago we missed 3 mortgage payments as df had lost his job. He then got a new (better) job and we caught up the arrears.

About a month later we had a very nice letter from the mortgage company saying although we now had no arrears, because of our payment history, as added security for them they now needed to make the unsecured loan part of the secured mortgage. We had to sign a form to agree. It was fine with me, I don't care if it's secured or not.
That was the end of it until we discovered that the process of securing the unsecured loan was a CCJ!

There was nothing in the letter we signed and we had no notification that we had a CCJ. I have had ructions with the mortgage company and had an official apology for misleading information...but the CCJ remains!

So anyway...I would take any case individually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now