Talk

Advanced search

to ask how much your 3yo weighs and how tall they are?

(54 Posts)
NoMine Fri 07-Jun-13 18:10:40

At the GP today DS was playing with the scales so the nurse said she may as well note his height and weight because it's been two years ages since it was updated.

He started chattering about his lunch and what he was going to have for dinner and she sort of sniffed and remarked "yes ... he looks like he's the sort who enjoys his food."

I know I'm BU to have taken a throwaway remark to heart but she then commented that he's on the 75th centile for weight but only 25th for height and I should "keep an eye on that".

He's 3.10yo, 18kg and 100cm tall.

AIBU to think that's relatively normal and not at all worrying?

wamabama Fri 07-Jun-13 18:17:35

DS is 3.3, 3 foot 6 and weighs 2 stone 4. According to BMI this makes him underweight which makes me laugh because he was 10 lb at birth grin.

I thought they stopped doing centile once they hit two anyway?

MrsMangoBiscuit Fri 07-Jun-13 18:18:14

3yrs 6m, 3'6" tall and 3 st 7lbs. So that's 1.07m tall, and 22kg.

She certainly does like her food, but other than debris on her clothes, you wouldn't know from looking at her.

There's only 7cm between ours, yet DD is 4kg heavier, we're not even remotely worried about her weight.

I think you also have to remember that small children are still alternating between bulking up, and having growth spurts. When DD's trousers are fitting just right, and she starts looking a little bit more cuddly, I know it's time to buy a few pairs in the next length up!

NoMine Fri 07-Jun-13 18:23:44

That's reassuring smile

He's due a growth spurt, he's got little hamster cheeks and baby love handles which is what usually happens right before he shoots up. He's one of these ones who doesn't grow for ages and ages and then all of a sudden leaps up. I had his feet measured last week and after almost a year of being in the same size he's gone up two sizes since I last had him measured (and that was only 6wks ago when DD got her new shoes), another reliable sign he's due to stretch out a bit.

It just made me feel very scrutinised, like his file has been marked "future fatty".

pointythings Fri 07-Jun-13 18:27:53

I've just run the OP's DC's details through the BMI calculator on NHS choices and it's coming up overweight, but not by much - I suspect a growth spurt may be imminent. My DDs both followed this pattern - get a bit chubby, shoot up a ridiculous amount and end up skinny again (and need expensive new clothes and shoes). There's nothing wrong with keeping an eye out and eating healthily though, that's sensible for everyone.

pointythings Fri 07-Jun-13 18:28:52

X-posts, OP smile. The growth in shoe size is a dead giveaway.

Jeezimacasalinga Fri 07-Jun-13 18:38:41

My son is 4.4 years, 100cm and 13.7kg. My eldest DD is 6.6 years, 117cm and 18.9kg. I wouldn't say they were really skinny but they are slim. But healthy weight will vary a lot - use your own judgement and don't let rude nurses get to you!

PenelopePipPop Fri 07-Jun-13 18:52:08

"he looks like he's the sort who enjoys his food"

What an unhelpful thing to say.

I've got the skinny tall one from the other end of the centile chart (there has to be one so the chart balances out) and get people saying she burns it off too fast from running around too much and I need to teach her to sit still or she'll struggle at school. So if you've got the future fatty I've got the future disruptive kid.

If you were not worried before today and he runs around and eats sensibly the rest of the time I wouldn't start worrying now.

Minshu Fri 07-Jun-13 18:52:15

My DD just keeps getting taller and her new summer dresses are too short already! Shoe size has gone up less than 1/2 a size in 8 months. At 3.8, she's 107 cm and 17 kg. She's thin, but not skinny looking.

BMI doesn't take account of growth spurts or the fact muscle is more dense than fat, so if you think he's ok, he probably is.

LiegeAndLief Fri 07-Jun-13 19:05:01

My dd is almost identical. 3.11, 102cm, 17.5kg. She is definitely solid. Ds was just the same and now he is all long and lean with bones everywhere.

IneedAyoniNickname Fri 07-Jun-13 19:08:26

My children are older, but ds2, 6.7 is 110cms and 3stone.

You shouldn't use BMI for children, but I found a site the other day that plots their BMI on a chart for their age, apparently its more accurate than BMI alone. I can look for it again

Sirzy Fri 07-Jun-13 19:11:09

DS is 3.5 and is about 98cm tall and weighs 15.3kg

MousyMouse Fri 07-Jun-13 19:16:43

3.6m
102cm
18kg

def still not skinny, ribs start to show though and toddler-belly is less pronounced.

breatheslowly Fri 07-Jun-13 19:19:31

DD is about 98cm and 15 kg. She isn't 3 yet and is beginning to thin out, but still has a bit of a belly and chubby face.

SpottyTeacakes Fri 07-Jun-13 19:19:45

Dd is 3 next week and 12kg 90cm tall.

She's a tiddler though grin

NoMine Fri 07-Jun-13 19:26:46

He never sits still, ever, even in his sleep he's all over the bed so he's very active. He doesn't really eat huge meals either, some days he's like a bottomless pit and other days he barely eat anything.

He's in proportion and in the right size clothes for his age, those are good signs I'm sure.

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 07-Jun-13 19:33:11

Nothing wrong at all with those proportions, particularly if his percentages on the charts have remained constant.

I worry a bit about DS now aged 7. He is 90% on BMI and about 50% on height, but GP check ups have all been fine, they said he was perfectly healthy.

congresstart Fri 07-Jun-13 19:37:50

My ds is 5 and he is only 3ft 5ins and 2st 6Ibs, he is very small and skinny but they have said he is fine for his size.

hazeyjane Fri 07-Jun-13 19:43:56

ds is 3

87cm (0.4th centile)
14.9 kg (50th centile)

boatclub Fri 07-Jun-13 19:48:00

DS is 3.9 102 cm and 19 kg

WitchOfEndor Fri 07-Jun-13 19:51:43

DS is 3.0, 18kg and 100cm. i think he is around 91st centile for height and just under 98th for weight. He is made of lead! He is muscly, with no pot belly and I can see his ribs so I'm not too concerned.

ChunkyPickle Fri 07-Jun-13 19:53:18

DS is 2.10, he's 15.3kg, and 95cm tall - he's not skinny, but there's nothing spare either (he's all muscle).

Clothes don't fit because by the time they're narrow enough not to fall down/be baggy they're too short on arms/legs/body.

It was an unhelpful comment - DS is one who loves his food (feels like he always eating something - and it's something of everything, not just 'healthy' stuff), but you wouldn't know from looking at him. I almost think at this age it's the activity that makes the difference not the food (DS runs everywhere - and tries to make me do the same)

Overcooked Fri 07-Jun-13 19:53:37

3.5 years old, 100cm and just over two stone, I'm thinking she might be really thin now, god does it matter at 3, she just likes running about.

Overcooked Fri 07-Jun-13 19:56:06

That's about 13kg, it is thin isn't it, does it matter though, she eats loads and is never ill.

HandMini Fri 07-Jun-13 20:02:36

I'm reading this with interest because I've been researching double buggies, a few of which say max passenger weight is 15kg in each seat. While I know this isn't set in stone, it does make me wonder for how long / how useful a double buggy will be. DD1 is just 2 and weighs 13kg.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: