Talk

Advanced search

To want to buy an even better present and if so what?

(53 Posts)
Firsttimemum2012 Tue 04-Jun-13 23:01:15

DS turns one in a few weeks time. Have been planning to buy him a trike with a parent handle - looked into the different types etc ready to make a purchase but thought I would leave final decision to DH.

Found out yesterday that MIL has bought him one. Trying not to think she did it deliberately (as I knew we were panning to buy one) though I think she might have done as she likes to have control (whole other story) and up until last week she was adamant she was buying him a ball pool. I know it shouldn't matter who bought it but I know how smug she will be on his birthday so wanted some ideas for an awesome present.

squeakytoy Tue 04-Jun-13 23:02:03

He is one.. he wont notice and he wont care.. just let it go.

LastTangoInDevonshire Tue 04-Jun-13 23:05:13

so wanted some ideas for an awesome present.

Just make sure he gets hold of the wrapping paper the trike is wrapped in!

PrettyKitty1986 Tue 04-Jun-13 23:10:03

Contact MIL and tell her you've already bought one so she'll have to return hers.

I don't stand for power games and if you do, it's a slippery slope. My sister bought my ds a ds lite for his Fourth birthday, after I specifically told her I didn't want him to have one. I was vilified by my family for being 'ungrateful' but I made her send it back. She's not done it since.

MrsOgg Tue 04-Jun-13 23:13:37

Right, I have the answer for you right here! My PFB just turned one and my dad got him a trike and tbh it is a GREAT gift. BUT! I went to the Early Learning Centre last week and was BLOWN AWAY by the fab stuff you can get. Here are my suggestions if you want to outdo the trike:
1. 'Activity table', it's in the catalogue and instore but I couldn't find it on their website. It's a small table with little snooker ball things and both me and my toddler were transfixed. £40, I'm getting one for me next week.
2. They have an AMAZING range of paddling pools - ones shaped like cars, ones with sprinkler systems etc.
3. Bubble machine, £15, would go great as a little extra.

Also they've got lots of little rockers or ride-on toys which could be more fun than the trike, maybe... But seriously the activity table is amazing.

MrsOgg Tue 04-Jun-13 23:14:22

Ooh, I also agree with pretty kitty actually. But get him an activity table as well anyway, they look so cool. (I am not employed by the Early Learning Centre)

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 04-Jun-13 23:19:07

A sandpit on legs which doubles as a water play thing. Those are MUCH better than trikes and your DS will get years out of it.

Messandmayhem Tue 04-Jun-13 23:20:27

My auntie does this, asks what we are thinking of getting then gets it, or the better version of. Now we tell her we don't know but here's some ideas for her. We then get to get the specific thing WE wanted to get and she gets the next best thing we couldn't afford as well. No ideas though, although at that age we got loads of colouring and crafting things, they adored stuff like that and played far more with that that actual toys.

Firsttimemum2012 Tue 04-Jun-13 23:25:30

I did think about buying another or even telling her to keep the one she bought at her house as he goes there once a week - but DH knows I haven't so will just cause issues - he doesn't stand up to her which is one of the problems. Will investigate the table - is it the lights and sounds one?

Wise words squeaky - I know he will be happy with balloons, wrapping paper and bubbles (bubble machine on my list as a possible) - can just see the look on her face when she arrives with it though.

SE13Mummy Tue 04-Jun-13 23:26:36

I second the suggestion of the sand/water table. My parents gave one to DD1 for her 1st birthday and it still gets played with by her and her friends 7+ years later.

A small trampoline (the square ones with a handle)?
A wheely bug?

Or, if you want to go for something that will last even longer, a wooden playhouse for the garden. He won't get much out of it immediately but it won't be long before he does.

missingmumxox Tue 04-Jun-13 23:28:10

oh! a bubble machine and watch it blow the trike out of the water, seriously, my MIL (funnily enough) brought one it was £10 at the time and seriously at 1 my DT's loved it, they where toddling and we would set it up and they would blunder about trying to pop and catch the bubbles, entertainment for the adults as well, worked indoor and out (caveat if in door don't do it in a nicely decorated room as it will mark the paint/wallpaper)
then you get the added smug of, oh, just proves you don't have to spend a fortune on children.

crazylady9876 Tue 04-Jun-13 23:33:53

My lil man turned one this month and we got him a shutterbug bike it's in John Lewis about £35 its a proper bike and it 12mth plus

he's also got the activity table with the balls that's been mentioned and he fucking loves it ESP the hammer though its like rocking horse shit to find as they go out of stock so bloody quickly due to popularity oh ended up travelling miles for one

also got a wooden walker with the bricks in it as thought it will last longer than the plastic noisy ones as he can use the bricks to build and hes forever pushing it around and collecting stuff in it .

I didn't go for a trike as tbh it wouldn't get used that much ( nowhere for my shopping) and can't really use it on a bus

crazylady9876 Tue 04-Jun-13 23:34:39

Not a shutter bug it's a scrambler bug think its time for bed

DewDr0p Tue 04-Jun-13 23:38:48

We were very underwhelmed by the trike with parent handle, fwiw, OP. wink

Trampoline with a handle or sandpit or paddling pool will be much more fun I am sure. Or maybe a Little Tykes Crazy Coupe type thing?

You might need to sort out the standing up to MIL thing though...

IneedAyoniNickname Tue 04-Jun-13 23:41:42

My sil did exactly this for ds1s 1st birthday. No one has ever understood before why it made me so cross! Especially as she wrapped it ready built, out of the box and covered in stickers so I couldn't return it!

Nearly 8 years later he neither knows nor cares who bought him what that long ago, but it still annoys me that I couldnt buy.his first bike. Plus the one she got was shit

AndHarry Tue 04-Jun-13 23:47:42

Those trikes are awful anyway. Ours (DS's first Christmas present) is mouldering in the garage. They don't fit in the boot. They steer like a demented, overloaded shopping trolley. They encourage driving while talking on a mobile phone grin

More successful presents from that year, which are still played with now he's 3:

- Playmobil Ark
-Y-Bike Pewi
- Duplo
- play tunnel
- Brio

AndHarry Tue 04-Jun-13 23:49:47

Those Tiny Tikes Coupe cars are brilliant. DS has hankered after one ever since he started nursery but our garden has steps sad

Chigertick Tue 04-Jun-13 23:52:25

Oh dear YANBU!
Why don't you get an item/s that will last eg a book/ set of classic stories or jewellery.
We wrote a "letter" to them on their first bday too - obv not fun for now but a nice keepsake.
You could get a tent/ tunnel / garden toys eg swing, sandpit which is what my twins got.
Our aim was to get things that would last so they might actually remember in years to come what presents they had for their 1st bdays! smile

Bakingtins Tue 04-Jun-13 23:58:12

I want a 1 yr old for lots of reasons so I can buy one of these
I agree that the trikes are over-rated. By the time the child is big enough to pedal it they could be whizzing along on a balance bike (2nd birthday present sorted, don't tell MIL)
Scuttle bug also good.

My MIL just bought my 3 yr old a tennis racquet confused. He can barely catch a huge ball if you throw it directly to his waiting hands....

DTisMYdoctor Tue 04-Jun-13 23:58:28

Tiny tikes coupe cars are brilliant, as are activity tables. DS had a learn & groove activity table, but it doesn't look like it's sold anymore. He loved it.

Bakingtins Wed 05-Jun-13 00:01:29

Every kid I have encountered loves a big helium balloon, though obv you have to supervise with string and a 1 yr old. I also agree that bubbles are likely to be a hit.

harryhausen Wed 05-Jun-13 07:38:57

My two are older now but I remember they loved things like a 'click clack track' that elc used to do where little cars were put at the top of a run and they run down. Also, Happy Land stuff just lasted ages. The Garage and Space rocket were the best. The people and cars are so happy and chunky. My ds (6) will still play with rocket and mix in his Star Wars toys.

I agree the tricycle isn't necessarily the best. Ours sat rusting in the garden mostly.

My mil always wanted to buy our dcs the most expensive present. She would ask us what they wanted and we would have to come up with something exactly (normally from Argos as she won't shop anywhere else). If the dcs slightly ignored her gift on the day, she would go ape and hold us personally responsible.

IamMrsElf Wed 05-Jun-13 08:08:27

YANBU - why are MILs like this??? They had their time, they were mothers once, now it's your turn - step back missus!!

I acutally asked my MIL to get this for DS1 and DS2 as I think they are a bit underwhelming as a present. grin The boys do like them but they are a pain and you won't get as much use as you'd think. I asked DM to buy a scuttle bug and they both love it (they are 1 and 3), the fact that you can fold it up and put it away/take it away easily is a major plus.

A sand and water play table is great, DSs love to play with it. Activity tables are great fun, very engaging. Little Tikes junior acitivity gym (climbing thing and slide) both DSs love it. Elefun ball popping elephant is great fun - but really loud - mine love it so much sometimes it magically doesn't work.

I am a control freak. I hunt through the internet amazon and email out a list specific to GGPs, GPs, A/Us so no one gets the same thing and then keep ideas back for myself - usually these are not communicated to anyone, except DH.

ScarletLady02 Wed 05-Jun-13 08:11:05

Those bubble machines are awesome - my friend has one and my two year old LOVES it. She's always hassling me to go round there so she can play with it.

Bananapickle Wed 05-Jun-13 08:14:19

Really don't worry about the trike. It is a great gift but won't be used anywhere near as much as something like the activity table. It may look more impressive on the day...maybe...but your DS will get a lot more out of something you buy that he can use everyday on his own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now